Is 27 too old to date a 18 year old?

What do you think? My sister is 18 dating a 27 year old man.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, but really pushing it. I personally would go against beyond 10 years at the very very most, so I guess 9 is ok. 😕

Most Helpful Girl

• In my opinion your sister is way too young for him. The difference of the factors isn't just maturity level, but the life experiences as well. Your sister is barely a baby, just starting out as a young adult. The guy she is dating already had that chance 9 years ago. My mom and dad met when she was 19 and he was 28. My mom's side of the family's concerns were this:

-She had 2 sex partners plus my dad. My dad however had 41 + my mom which became 42/43.
    -My dad was already a father, and a single one at that. My sister was 9 years old.
    -She had a HS diploma. Just graduated high school in fact. My dad however had a middle school education, and dropped out at 11th grade.
    -She had no job at the time. But my dad was already a city worker with at least 3 years in on the job.
    -She was supposed to go to college, but ended up conceived with me within 6 months of dating.

You get my point? They both had conflicting views, values, belief's, faith, etc. And the wide age gap didn't help with their marriage. It was purely done out of lust, desperation, some form of love, but selfishness was sadly there as well. Immaturity was also a major issue with lack of structure. Both of them were not psychologically healthy, as they both grew up in broken homes. Though my mom had a healthy family living overall, as her's are about family. My dad's however were the everyday typical ghetto/hood mentality environment that was on & off. There were good times, and a lot of bad times. Few pros, but a heck of a lot of cons and red flags.

That may or may not be the case with your sister. But I will say for you as her sister to be more watchful of them, ask critical questions without getting too personal, and make sure she trends carefully. I cannot say yay or nay. But I highly suggest that she doesn't get too comfortable and look for red flags. She has to look at herself in the mirror first before she can take on this kind of relationship.

What Guys Said 11

• I went out on a couple of dates with a 19 year old. I felt really awkward about it. Didn't get to first base or nothing like that didn't want to remind me of a long friend. same mannerisms it just didn't feel right.

• I'd say so, but they are both adults and can make their own decision

• That's unfortunate lol.

• Half your age plus 7 would be the socially accepted minimum age. 27 shouldn't be with anyone under 20.

I dont get it, half your age is what 5 years?

So an 18 year old can date a 13 year old? O_O

No, I'm not sure if you are doing this on purpose or not right now lol

• Age is just a number. If they are compatible with each other and on the same maturity level, then I don't see a problem. Also I thought young girls loved older guys.

• Yeah a bit weird.

Wha makes it weird for u?

Because you are still a girl in a lot of ways. He is in a completely different stage in his life.

• Nah. It's alright.

• Yeah, that too old for her.

• No...

• To me yes
    But she's grown.

• Nope

What Girls Said 14

• I'd consider an 18 year old far too young. Usually two people of those ages are at different stages in their lives from each other.

• A 27 year old person is not old. But they shouldn't date a 18 year old.
    They might have a lot of differences.

• Well she is at a legal age now, so she can pretty much date someone older than 27. But 18 is still to young though. I mean I felt kind of weird when I found out that when I first met my boyfriend I met him 2 months after his 20th birthday. I almost felt like a perve.

• It's a large gap, but the only reason why I deem it acceptable is because she's an adult, so she can make her own decisions. Though, if you have any concerns, try expressing them to her. Hopefully she'll hear you out.

• It's a bit weird, but then again I was almost with a guy twelve years older than me. Eighteen is a difficult age. They are still very young. I'd say 20 or older is good. Half way through college, so they at least know how to take care of themselves.

• yes , bc 27 year old have different mind set goals in life
    they have already a future ahead and your in high school / college

• I think so, maturity and life experience would be way too different

• Yes it is

• Oh yah, way too young.

• yeah it is

• uuuuuuuuuuuum no

• No. My boyfriend is 24 and nobody ever says anything

• Yes
    She's too young

• I would not be having that.