He sucks at texting, but seems like he wants to date?

I am about to meet this guy for the first time next weekend, we started talking on bumble. He wants to go on a date, and knows I'm interested in dating. He's about 6 years older than me, but we have a lot in common, however he sort of sucks at texting.
He always responds when I text with him, which is good - even if it's short 1 word answers. But he usually doesn't reach out first. I mean, I technically can say I haven't really given him a chance to lately since I always plan on texting him at the end of every day pretty much... but is this a bad sign? He's open and honest that he's talked with and went out with a few other girls but nothing serious... I'm just curious as to what opinions are. I told him I'm not going to just do a hookup or just sex, and he said he never is only interested in the sex.

Most Helpful Guy

• It just means he's bad at texting or doesn't like texting. It's not that big of a deal and not that uncommon

Most Helpful Girl

• It's good that he's open and honest! That's really good actually! As for being 6 years older... That's a bit much, but if you trust him and you're both really sure about it, I say go for it! It's good that you've stated that you don't want his intentions being sex and that you've cleared that. And yeah, I feel you, guys aren't always that good in texting and he definitely seems like that type of guy. Honestly, you haven't even had your first date yet, so I say why not give it a shot. If he's not what you like, you don't need to message him anymore or anything. First dates say a lot about people and he hasn't had the chance to try that yet, so you can use it to truly evaluate him.

What Guys Said 1

• I know people who are great to talk to but suck at texting and I meet people who are good at texting and are funny but in person there pretty boring. So you can never really know just give it a chance.

What Girls Said 4

• If he sucks at texting thats good, you shouldn't judge a guy off of his texting ability because online, whether thats on GaG or on text messaging, you can kind of recreate yourself and fake a personality. Plus who would text when you can meet up and have a coffee at a nice cafe and walk around a mall together, talking for example? NOBODY!

• Set up a date and see what happens. I am currently dating someone who has bad texting habits, at 1st I thought he wasn't interested, but that's not the case.

• kelly send me a message could we talk over the phone about this
    there a lot of things to fix.
    im not trying to be a creep kelly its just helping a good friend out
    the picture on my profile is me so i wouldn't lying
    but i would love to help you out:)

• Oh my gosh, I just started talking to this guy who I knew of but had never spoken to. I texted him hey and that I was told that I should text him and every answer was one worded! It was "oh" "yup" "ok" "cool" and other stuff, there were some two worded responses. I had said it was awk and he agreed. But in person we talked, laughed, and stuff. Wtf.