Would you date a recovering alcoholic?

Well, it's just, I'm really into this guy whose a bit older than myself. He's perfectly wonderful, and as it is he pretty much treats me like a little Lady which I like. Just earlier he was pushing this cart full of stuff where we work, and I was behind him and couldn't get around to hold the door open, so he pushed the doors open with his cart, but then rather than just continuing to go, he walked out a bit to give me space to go around, but then like pushed his leg back to keep the door open with his foot long enough to let me out. It was an absolute nuisance for him to do that, but he did it anyway, and didn't even comment on it. Like it was just natural for him to automatically go out of his way to keep a simple door open. open.

But he's also a recovering alcoholic. He's not some dramatic terrible guy, but that is kind of a large issue. He's actually got his license restricted now so he can only drive too and from work, which he got after getting a DUI. He's gone a full month without a single drink now though, which doesn't sound like much, but it's pretty good for him. And he's flat out admitted to me that it was a problem, like he doesn't deny he had a drinking problem. But even in the short month he seems to be feeling a lot better without drinking.

Would you gagers consider dating someone like this if you knew they were getting better? Or just not deal with it because there's still a chance they'll flip right back around?

• I'd give it a shot
  • not me, too risky
  • Other (explain?)

Most Helpful Guy

• is he getting help? going to meetings? therapy?

i probably would consider dating them if they were actively working to address the issue.

No... he's doing it himself

i would probably want to see them make more progressive on the road to recovery before dating him.

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally NO, but not for the reasons you would think. For me I would never want to put someone in a position to regress in their progress of life. I am Irish, I DRINK! Why should I subject the person who has worked very hard to not have a problem to that. I may not be an alcoholic but to an alcoholic I definetly drink to much for them to be able to stay sober themselves.

What Guys Said 5

• I don't know... I strongly prefer non-drinkers and I feel like a recovering alcoholic is a strong risk for reverting back to their own ways.

• That would be a pain in the ass.

• I'm a functioning alcoholic and would date an alcoholic.

• If they are serious about treatment

• not me, too risky

What Girls Said 0