Is it Weird to Keep Mementos From my First Date?

Back when I was 15 or 16 years old I was able to convince this one girl I had crushed on since 6th grade to hang out together with me at the mall and then Great America. Nothing ever came of this, and I was totally in the friend zone even though I did not recognize it at the time. But nevertheless, I still saved the receipt from the restaurant we ate at, preserved carefully in my journal, and never threw away the shirt I wore even though it is old and worn out now.

Sometimes when I am sad, and I see that girl's life unfolding on Facebook, far away without me and with her new boyfriend, I break out those two objects and just remember those few good times I had with her. She will always be the one who got away, my first heartbreak friend zone coming-of-age experience.

As petty and insignificant as those events were, they were still the absolute greatest days of my life, and I enjoy having a physical object to remember them by -- something that was there, something that she herself touched...

Is this weird? In light of how sad I get thinking about it sometimes, would it be healthier if I got rid of these two objects?

Most Helpful Girl

• No, lots of people keep things from their childhood/high school years. I haven't saved anything from high school crushes but to me it sounds like you just really want to get into the dating world and that's the closest you've gotten so you're holding onto it. I fell in love and there's no way I'm getting rid of my pictures of him even though he moved. Every time I'm sad I look at them and smile but this seems to be having the opposite effect on you so maybe you should get rid of them

What Girls Said 4

• I guess I am wondering what was so special about this girl that you still cherish the memory of your first date, even though it went nowhere?

It's strange for me to read this, because I feel like I am on the opposite side of the mirror... My friend has had a crush on me forever, and said he'd never love anyone like he loves me.

It's not odd... but I don't know if this is benefiting you. Why was she so special to you?

• No that isn't weird. You loved her. That's what love does to you it's nice keeping something that belonged to someone that you once loved. It's the same thing as pictures and home videos. A lot of people keep pictures and videos of their friends/loves and even family to keep memories. That's the only way we can remember them in a better way other than our minds. You shouldn't get rid of them. They make you happy and she made you happy.

• If it makes you sad or gives you pain get rid of them. Out of sight, out of mind.

What Guys Said 7

• If you are getting an early start on living in the past, you should divest yourself of these mementos immediately!

• That's probably common.

What i recommend is you to get a nice box and put those items together, inside. Maybe one with a locker, and put it on some place, not easily acessable.

You get a distance from them, but you know they are still there.

And try to know new people.

• I think it makes sense to hold on to things you find dear

• No, I generally try to sneak a strand of hair from my dates. I have a whole ball of it in my drawer. After I've gotten enough, I'm going to make a doll and sacrifice it to Malebolgia.

• Better days then that are in your future. You will throw them out at some point because they will seem really meaningless. If you're ready to let go of them now, do it.

• You're really sad. You had go "CONVINCE" some girl to go out with you? What kind of a mangina are you? You're 20 years old now as i can see in your profile. Why the fuck are you still think of your teen dating life? Yes it's weird and creepy.

• You sound like a very romantic dude. And that's not good in our days.