I went out on a date and shook the girl's hand at the end of the night. Is there a way to redeem myself?

I messed up the end of the date by shaking the girls hand instead of hugging or kissing her. I was really nervous and didn't know what to do. Now she hasn't responded to my texts after 2 days.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not the be all end all man!!! You just have to learn how to recover. The only part I see where you messed up, is texting her to setup date... which isn't entirely bad, but I'm guessing you apologized for the handshake and semi begged for another date?

If not try something along the lines of...
    Hey I know that handshake was weak, but it was all I could think of to stop it from going where it wanted to, 😏. Last night was great, I'd like to show you what a real night out with Mario G is like. Fair warning my hand has a mind of its own, I can't be responsible for where it ends up this time 😜.

Smileys aren't needed and that is just something random I came up with. You can do whatever but be mysterious ish, and act like you did her the favor with a handshake of Sorts... not in a jerk way though lol.

Good luck tho bro. You can recover.

Thanks for the advice man. I guess it's worth a try but it's not looking good. I've already sent her 3 texts in a row with no response.

What Girls Said 9

• I would send her a message saying you really enjoyed her company and would love to get together again. If she doesn't respond she isn't interested honey, and I don't think a handshake instead of a hug would have been enough to change her mind on that.
    Don't stress about it, we all have our moments xo

• Going for a handshake is kind of awkward lol but if she had been interested in a second date up til that point, it wouldn't have ruined it. If she isn't texting you back it's because she isn't interested. Sorry.

Yeah that kinda hurts because she was the kind of girl I could see myself dating. We had similar interests and she seemed into me as well, I guess the handshake ruined all that.

The handshake didn't ruin it. That was my point.

• I kinda doubt she'll respond, sorry, dude :/

• Ouch. You just have to think of this as a learning experience.

• actually its not a big deal

• No prolly not tbh. Id be so turned off

• lmao how cute. I don't think she'll call or text you tho. Her loss.

• Nope you can't go back on that

• Do you see her around or no?

No unfortunately, I met her from online

that makes it tricky. You have apologized have you? If not, don't. Act like it was no biggie and forget it. Act confident, do you have her number?

Yeah I do, I sent her 3 texts and hasn't responded. I guess these people are right. It's over

What Guys Said 15

• seems hard. you have to be able to open a line of communication and show her that you see her as more than a potential friend or business partner

I tried to text her that I really enjoyed spending time with her and tried to setup another date, but hasn't responded

well you may have lost your chance. she probably feels like you weren't that into her

• The handshake isn't the killer.

If you really want to try again, try sending her one more text. Don't be apologetic. Be you. Be direct. Be fun and silly. You could even make a dumb joke -- something like, "trust me, you're gonna want to see me again. I've been working on a secret handshake that's totally gonna top the last one I gave you!"

Or maybe don't say something like that. It might be stupid. lol

• Dude... a first date hand shake is pretty hard to recover from.

It might be a last resort, but I'd be honest about it and send her a message saying that you were very nervous because she's very cute/interesting/insert your own reason here and that even though it seems that way, you promise you're not a total loser.

Good luck, bro! ;)

• XD
    that cliff is a nice drop.
    give it some time or simply explain that you were nervous... then ask her out again, but please... just fucking call her and tell her that.

• That is hard to fix. You could always try brutal honesty to get her to respond say you wanted to kiss her goodnight but got really nervous if she doesn't respond you can't even try to fix it.

• I don't think it should have been a problem if she really liked you. I've just said bye to a girl on first date, but we still hit it off pretty well after second date. A hand shake in the end is good if you wanna take things slow and going at your own pace. I think the date didn't go well it hand nothing to do with you only shaking her hand in the end

• Damn that sounds awkward bro 💔
    I don't know, at your age, girls expect you to be confident and shameless also make the moves!

can you recover? I doubt it man 😔
    Just learn for this

• Did you try to explain that you where nervous and that you really like to get to know her. How do you think the date went?

I thought it was going pretty well. It seemed we had stuff in common, but I could tell right after she left that I messed up the goodbye with that handshake.

I would wait a week after you initially text her and try texting her again and try to explain what happened.

• No, that's pretty bad dude. Haha!

• Well, at least you didn't try shaking hands with your penis - that would have made it more awkward.

• :-0

... Oh, you fucked up... #ByeFelicia

• Lmao..

• Dude that cringe as fuck lmao

• Not even friend zoned, I see. That's worse. Maybe it's time to date someone new and try again and do things differently the next time around?

• Probably thinks she was good as friends only but not sure how you can fix it if she doesn't get back to you