Have you ever dated someone your friends said isn't attractive?

I know this might not make any sense, but have you ever been attracted so someone who you didn't really find all that attractive?

A couple months ago I met this girl and from the moment I saw her I couldn't stop thinking about her but I don't know why. She's decently attractive, but not as attractive as other women I've dated. She has short hair, which in the past I would have said is an automatic dealbreaker for me, and she's a little heavier than women I typically date though not by much. I don't really know much about her, but I can tell she is shy, and I don't date shy women.

Now I don't mean to say that she's ugly or anything like that, but if a friend described her to me and said they wanted to set me up with her, I probably would have laughed and said no way. I meet more attractive women than her almost every day, but yet for some reason she's the one I can't stop thinking about.

I have a date with her later this week, but my friends say she isn't attractive enough for me. On the one hand I don't really care what they say, I want go out with her and she said yes so I'm going on with her, but on the other I wonder if they might be right?

Most Helpful Girl

• To answer your first question... yes I have. But then again I'm not really dating a person based on looks. There has to be some attraction but it's their personality which makes them cuter or more attractive to me.

You said this girl would not be someone you would normally date. It has been said that sometimes people date someone different or opposite from the previous person. Such as if you dated a blonde before.. the next person would typically be a brunette or vice versa (someone that looks different). Maybe not 100% true but I see a theory behind it.

Your last question: yes I have dated someone my friends don't find that attractive. But they aren't the ones that are dating her so why does it matter? If you're happy and she's happy then great. I'm pretty sure your friends will still be your friend if things get serious. And who knows. She may end up being one is the best things that has happened to you. Surely you're not going to let your buddies steal your joy. Good luck!

What Girls Said 14

• Yes. I didn't think my ex boyfriend, who is still have very strong feelings for, was that attractive in the beginning. But there was something about him and I was really, really interested but he was not my type. I decided to try it out either way and the attraction grew stronger and stronger. Today I am really attracted to him, even though he is my ex.
    My friends doesn't find him attractive at all though. Which never bothered me. He was mine and after the break up its actually kind of nice to hear them say that he wasn't attractive enough for me.

• I have dated people my friends didn't think were attractive, but paid no notice. Attraction is relative, what does it for one turns another off.
    If my friends told me someone I was interested in wasn't attractive enough for me I'd be looking for new friends, shallowness isn't a trait I find endearing in anyone let alone my nearest and dearest

And I really hope your kinder to her in person as your description isn't exactly flattering

• I don't really care about what my friends think regarding his looks. If they have an opinon on his character, then I'll listen.

I can't help but wonder why you would be interested in this woman as all you have done in this post is belittle her. If I were you I would consider sparing her from getting involved with a man who is so fixated on her flaws.

• yeah. most of my family isn't attracted to the men I date. then one of my exes, 6ft, muscles, deep voice, manly, tattoos. plus he had swag & knew how to dress. I found him really attractive. but when we took pics together and I wanted to post them on Fb or whatever I would look at his face and be like, uhh, don't know if I should post that one.. or I would find myself giving the "he looks better in person" speech

• It doesn't matter what they think or say. Why do guys care so much about their friends opinions? What matters is how she makes you feel. Obviously there is something about her you like.

• Well. Who's gonna date her? You or your friends? 👀!

I rather date someone I'm attracted to, rather than date someone my friends are attracted to... that's just weird!!

• My best friend thinks every guy I go out with isn't attractive. I'm used to it by now. It really doesn't matter what others say. You like who you like.

• Yea I have, the dude ended uo becoming a fuckboii, which suck but also i date a guy who wasn't all that good looking. He really got my attention.

He was totally different from me, he annoy me at time yet I like him and I would hate myself for liking him. My froends found out I like him and told him, he was all happy i was all confused. I found out why I like him, his personality and sence of humor lol. It sounds dumb but really that's why I liked him. Later on in time we broke up bc our 'love' (or liking eachother)/spark was gone. Sometimes I miss him but I think its cool that we still text each other.

• Dated, no? But I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. I'm often very attracted to people who others would call unattractive.

• I've liked someone that my friends unanimously considered ugly. They all like guys who I think are ugly so I can't trust their taste anyways

• I've been interested in men that my friends and family considered very bad looking, so yea, it's happened haha.

• Yes, I have liked guys my friends have found unattractive. When I like someone I start finding them attractive though. Some times you overlook things until you get to know someone better. At the end of the day what your friends say shouldn't matter and I don't think of anyone as being too attractive or not attractive enough for me.

• Yep, once. But it didn't turn out all that well, he was a shit. (idk why I even dated him)

• It doesn't matter.

What Guys Said 0