Would you date someone that is not your "type"?

• Yes (explain why)
    56%(18)53%(29)Vote48%(11)
  • No (explain why)
    34%(11)36%(20)Vote39%(9)
  • We all deserve a chance
    10%(3)11%(6)Vote13%(3)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Girl

• yes. I actually am dating someone who is completely the opposite of what I've always thought was my 'type' so.. I now believe that what we think is our type is more like an idealized version of who we'd like to be with. For girls, it's often some kind of Abercrombie model, whereas for guys, the Margot Robbie-type will do.

Most Helpful Guy

• Why would anyone do that? I refuse to sacrifice my personal satisfaction in a relationship just for the purpose of proving that I am socially progressive! I don't need to prove that to anyone! And. . . how unfair would it be to date someone and have her get attached to me when i really don't want to be with her; is that being fair to her?

What Girls Said 16

• I've always been very opened and I clicked no but actually it's more like yes. I mean.. it became my type. Before, I was always dreaming about having a perfect not-too-perfect boyfriend who has the same interests as me. I never thought he'd be into arts as much as a sportive person is into sports and that his average looks would turn into my favorite body type and color of hair and his Asian eye would be the most beautiful eye (singular intended). So yes he's my type now but trust me if I was single and you'd ask me what my type is, it would be completely different.

• Yes I would, I like to date older guys and my boyfriend is 4 years younger than me matter of fact I met him 2 months after he turned 20 and I am in love with him. So I think sometimes its nice to date someone that isn't your type because you will never know that person can be the one.

• Yes, but it depends. If we're talking about appearence then sure, if we're talking about personality - nope.

• I do have preferences, and I'd like to stick to that. I would be wasting my time and his if I didn't. I'm not going to be with someone for the sake of it when the opportunity arises, plus a good part of me wouldn't feel sexually attracted to them

• The whole 'type' thing is what we think we want in a partner, just to realize it doesn't matter at all when we actually fall in love. I have a pretty sharp definition of what my type is and I don't think I've ever dated anyone who met all the criteria.

• Whats your criteria?
      Wise when it comes to decisions? Funny? Confident? Tall? And that stuff?

• I'm half Afro-Caribbean, so I know that assertion's bull. And in Brazil, the average height for a grown man's only 5' 7.2"; only one in 300 Brazilian guys would be over 6'3". I'm pretty confident that'd count as 'hard to find', even if they're not hard to spot. Maybe you're overestimating most of their heights a bit?

• @SinghSong or I live in South Brazil, where men are much taller than national average :)

• I have a type. Then I liked someone who wasn't extremely far off from my type, but he was average weight and I am usually attracted to thinner guys. Anyway I was attracted to him.

If I am attracted to you then you're my type.

• I was only talking about the physical aspect. The guy's personality has to balance me out and the guys I like usually have similar personality traits.

• My type is girls but alas I am with a boy

• yeahhhh... so awkward in the beginning... different fashion, culture, environment, ethnicity, literally ev3rything from my type... but I grew on him lol

• Yeah I would because you never know who can come into your life and completely turn things around for you for the better

• Yeah if we were compatible emotionally. I am far more attracted to personality than looks.

• I'm currently dating a guy who's not my type. It's about the personality, not the perfect looks.

• Yep why not? I'm not interested in someone that's exactly like me. Ew. Lol.

• Of course, if I like being around the person and they liked me, they'd probably grow on me

• No, I wouldn't.

• Yess would. For example I thought chicos were my type but then I stepped out of my comfort zone and I'm talking to a black guy and now I know the saying "once you go black, you never go back" is true

• if they have a great personality but different ideas i dont understand why not

What Guys Said 11

• in terms of appearance yes. i have a thing for red heads, but my ex that I loved tremendously was a brunette. still found her extremely attractive

• I don't have a type per-say but I do have my preferences and requirements.

• Probably not. I'm all for dating someone who isn't like me and is into different things. But in the long run, if we're completely different and she just isn't my type, it isn't going to work out. Why waste a few years figuring that out, when you could have spent that time finding someone who is your type?

• I used to think I didn't have a type until it was pointed out to me. I've dated outside of my type plenty, it hasn't gone all that well though but that doesn't stop me. If a girl is attractive and fun to be around, that's all that matters, even if she doesn't fit your type.

Sometimes you gotta go through the shit to find that hidden diamond.

• My most successful relationships have been with women I originally didn't consider. Even now I have feelings for a woman that doesn't really fit my type that well

• I have and I think she's the only women I actually ever loved. too bad I wasn't good enough for her. I blame myself.

• depends on what you mean with "not my type". only in terms of looks? I need to be physically attracted

• I know what I like, but I never dated anyone before. So, I don't know if I have developed a type per say. I'd have to go through a few to learn about who i would be into.

• Well I consider my "type" to be just whatever girls I'm attracted to, so no I wouldn't date anyone outside of that

• I don't have "a type." Of anything... that's so restrictive. Why limit yourself?

• Naww she has to be hot make at least 80k a year slim, and big booty high l