I've never dated someone online before. Do you think it could work out? Or just a waste of time?

I've known him for well over a year online. We were on the same raid team in destiny and have been friends ever since.

I made it clear the relationship we had was friendship but I want to think it could be more.

I've read some articles online about online dating and then finally meeting that person irl and being disappointed.

Quite frankly I really like this guy, he's even younger than me too. But there's always the case that, it's very easy to find yourself lying or making up stories or making you seem great.

I don't know what to do really. If anyone has had any experience in this area please help or advice.
Thank you.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's extremely rare online relationships survive Most people online are only passing time. Once something more real comes along then you no longer have a place in their life.

You can't really know a person's true character until you meet them in person. You need to see what a person is like in real life situations, and real circumstances before you can know what they are really like as a person.

The ultimate goal would be to eventually meet up, so I'd advise you to hold onto your heart until you get to that stage.

Be safe and be careful , coz there's so many deceitful people online. Ensure you know he is who he says he is before you contemplate ever meeting up.

I'd honestly advise you not to pursue it though, coz people tend to build an image of what a person is like, and what their life could be like together. When they finally meet up their illusion is usually shattered , coz the person isn't the same as the image they created themselves

What Guys Said 3

• Definite waste of time. Keeping it friends is the safest option. I have heard exceptions for they are way too far and way too few in between.

• I don't know about dating but I have met people irl who I spoke to online. It was great. Have added each other on social media etc? I'd do that first if you haven't. Otherwise I don't see any harm in meeting up sometime and see where it goes.

Oh yeah we've both got each others fb and we regularly talk through there. I might confess but I'll have to make sure he's not taken atm though. I don't know I'll just have to wait and see.

Oh and thank you.

yeah meet up with him before you confess, then if you have a good time seeing each other, tell him you want to do it again.

• waist of time.

What Girls Said 3

• Have you met this guy in person yet? If not, I'd be concerned, especially after a year. You may have built up an expectation of this guy that may not be met. Especially, since online chemistry doesn't necessarily translate to real life chemistry.

• You may have constructed a completely incorrect picture of the man, so do make it clear to your date that you may need to leave suddenly. Make sure you can leave suddenly if anything appears to be going wrong: have taxi numbers, train times or what-not. You can always phone your date and clarify the situation afterwards.

• as long as it's not solely online & you actually see each other