What are your opinions on high maintenance girls?

I've never really thought about myself as "high maintenance" but supposedly I am. My fam keeps telling me things like "guys don't like girls who are high maintenance" and like that people don't like girls who spend too much time and money on their looks. And acting like it's such a bad thing lmao anyway opinions on high maintenance girls?

Most Helpful Guy

• Call me weird, everyone has but i dig high maintenance girls, always have. A girl must take care of herself, have some tastes in fine things & brands etc

I'd say go ahead & spend what you want on your looks etc those that are worth you will go for you while the rest going scarce is the best 😁

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess it depends on what you consider high maintenance. As long as you pay for it, I don't see a problem. Plus it means you take care of yourself.

What Guys Said 114

• "People," don't like "people" who feel "entitled." Has nothing to do with men not liking certain kinds of girls.

After that general truism, "males" generally have a negative experience with "females" who feel "entitled." It's sort of like a random guy who walks up to you and wants to talk to you. There's an automatic presumption that he has to overcome, "Ugh, he wants sex" or "Ugh, he's JUST looking for sex." Well, when a girl is high maintenance, there's an automatic presumption that she has to overcome, "Ugh, she's an entitled princess addicted to drama and herself."

Now, if you're high maintenance at 16, or 18, or 21, etc., it's a little difficult as a girl, because men that age are broke. I'll just flat out say it b/c idgaf. Men that age are broke. They don't have $500 to blow on a restaurant without blinking an eye. They don't have $1,000 to blow on treating someone out. They don't have $15,000 to take a vacation somewhere new. So, they "fear" entitlement, and don't really have the clear mind to "judge" it properly or be able to "see the reason behind the entitlement" and get to know the girl.

Those are the "negatives" as far as I can think of right now.

The "positives" don't really kick in until after a girl is 25+

Ever heard the phrase, "let (ing) herself go"? After the age of 24, when cells start aging and gravity starts taking its toll, and the mitochondria becomes less efficient, most women just "give in" to the downward spiral of life. They literally "abandon" their husbands, sexually speaking. That's one of the greatest fears and anxieties of men, being "trapped" in a relationship with a woman he once loved, but she's now let herself go and literally not given a shit about her man sexually.

That's where what we dub as "high maintenance" is actually a good thing. It's nice to see a woman that still gives a shit about herself as a woman, how she looks like, dressing in form fitting clothes, still having a sexual taste and style, taking care of herself. When she's 25+, she needs to do that. When she's 24 and under, she doesn't need to communicate to her man, "I still respect you and care about you sexually and as a man." She's not falling apart at 16-24.

So, when young girls "emulate" that behavior, I think it's just a misguided attempt to "feel" more mature, without really understanding why "older" women do it. And that's why guys "assume" entitlement and call it "high maintenance."

• High maintenance chicks are a drag because
    A) they spend lots of money and have little concept of money management
    B) they're usually insecure about their looks, which means constant reassurance, validation, and praise
    C) they're usually accustomed to getting their own way and have developed a princess complex because of it
    D) they're usually ditzes with superficial interests and are generally a drag to be around for longer than 10 minutes

I'm actually very secure with myself, and take pride in the way I look so it takes me longer to get ready.

"ditzes with superficial interests" yeah no

• Common expression between guys: "For every hot looking girl walking down the street, there's a guy somewhere who is tired of putting up with her shit!" That applies doubly to high maintenance ladies.

There are two problems with high maintenance chicks:

1. They expect a guy to cater to their whims and desires and it makes guys feel emasculated and used.

2. High maintenance girls rarely give as much attention to their partner as they expect to receive from their partner.

no, we don't expect a catering service from you. we just like being treated special, and we will def make YOU a special man in our lives. we will compliment each other 💑

• 28d

@Beautiful68111 That's a wonderful attitude but it is not one expressed by all high maintenance chicks.

• i've been with one girl who i felt was high maintenance in terms of focusing on her looks. she would spend 1/2 getting dressed for a 50minute class at 9am, when most students just threw on whatever they had.

for me it was annoying because it just showed a pre-occupation with something unnecessary

i'm not really a fan of anyone who is high maintenance

• A girl is considered "high-maintenance" when she relies on the finances of another person for much of what she currently has, while always choosing the highest quality products for things like make-up and clothing. She's also high-maintenance when she requires an unrealistic amount of attention in a relationship. For me, both are kind of annoying and hard to deal with. And it's not that I'm poor, but I have expensive interests as well.

If a girl can afford to buy herself all that makeup and all those nice clothes and whatever else she wants without burdening the finances of her significant other, then sure, it's your money and it's your time. Just make sure you have enough to pay your phone bill and car insurance. . . the important things. To put it from my perspective, I'm not going to be too happy to have to cover all of that for a woman who doesn't spend her money wisely and always has to loan from me.

If this is you, you'd better make sure you have a good paying job or meet a rich and generous dude to marry.

• pain-in-the-fucking-ass... High maintenance isn't a good thing. I've been with a few girls that were and it borders on selfish and inconsiderate. I would push up the time when we were supposed to meet people so when she was 1 hour late from getting ready we'd be on time.
    The problem isn't that you spend your own time and money. Nobody cares about that. It eventually turns into you spending other peoples time and money. Guys will let certain things slide if you're really hot and high-maintenance. Once they get what they need they go looking for girl that's a more easy going.

• everyone likes something different. personally, as long as u can plan out when the fuck u are suppose to leave to go somewhere, i wouldn't have an issue with it. i myself am more high mx ;). but i have noticed that most people seem to think that high mx people are hot, because they pay attention to a lot more detail in general than others. someone might not like u, but there will be others who will, or want to like u, or will put up with u because of how u look. i wouldn't worry about it too much.

like i said, as long as u can plan to be done to be ready on time it shouldn't matter too much. even if it takes u 3h to get ready, if u are ready to go on time all should be good to go for most people especially if u have two bathrooms ;) i always used the guest bathroom :).

• Your family is 100% correct. Furthermore, the tolerance for high maintenance decreases drastically as a man gets older.

• It means you care waaay to much about your appearance, to the point it has become a negative personality trait. Often high maintenance also would include general materialism as well, to the point of being a strong negative character trait.

• This is just my opinion but I think what defines a women as high maintenance is several things. I'm an outdoors person so I would say a woman that's afraid to get just a little dirty would be one thing I define as high maintenance. I do like to see women dolled up hair make up nails but there is a time and place for it. So women won't set foot out the house with out having hair and make done and Lord forbid if they do anything or have to do anything that will mess it up. That would be something else I would define as high maintenance. Also a woman that won't wear anything but name brand designer clothes would be another qualification. Those are the main things I define as high maintenance. There are other things but that's what I think about when I hear high maintenance.

• Well, as long I don't have to do/contribute to the maintaining... she can do whatever the hell she wants... but if she constantly wants me to contribute/pay for the maintaining that i deem unnecessary...
    "Devil be gone from my sight" lol

• A massive, if not the biggest nope for me. I mean, I don't like girls who smoke either but I'd sooner take a smoking nice girl than a high maintance one. Whatever their reasons are for being that way, they are almost always vain and thus not desireable.

• I run away because they're too full of themselves and that gets in the way of them making you a priority as well.

• I like girls who aren't high maintenance

• I don't bother with them. Too much bullshit, drama, stress, entitlement.

• depends on your definition and how you are.

I don't like high maintenance anything honestly... some women can do lots of makeup and outfits and be just fine, they require extra time and planning. That does take effort, I'm ok with it, but rather easy going...

• If you spend your own money it's completely fine. Guys just don't like girls who are high maintenance and expect us to pay.

• High Maintenance girls = one night stands. I am assuming you mean high maintenance as in that I need to spend a bunch of money and lavish them expensive gifts and jewelry?

Yeah, I will be happy to lie to them and spend big bucks on ONE date and then after that I can't afford it anymore so have to cut her loose.

The big drawback with high maintenance girls is that they dont end up getting married, they are just short term dates for guys. Because guys dont want to marry them

• What do you mean, that you are high maintenance in terms of that you require lots of attention and things from a guy you are dating, or that you simply take a lot of time maintaining your looks and taking care of yourself? or both? Most guys do not like a woman who feels entitled to a lot of time and attention, gifts, dinners etc. Of course some of that is needed but only if she can replicate the effort.

• I like them the most lol
    It shows effort. Most high maintenance girls maintain themselves!
    soooo I don't know, I have only dated high maintenance girls

• It's just off-putting usually because it suggests that they have nothing else going for them but their looks.

• I don't date such girls, such girls are obsessed with themselves. I like girls who take care of themselves and their look, I love that but not until it becomes an obsession. Instead, I love girls that are fit and work out to be healthy and take care for their look but aren't obsessed with that.

• high maintanance girls? i would avoid every commiting to such a girl she can be the hottest around and trust me if i wanted i could easily find some interested girls, its an instant turn off, if i ever talk to a girl and from the way she talks and what she buys and how she acts i find out she is high maintanance i will stop considiring her girlfriend material.

take this for example, this girl added me once out of no where i later found out we go to the same college, she's attractive not super hot but alright attractive, we met few times and texted a lot but i never escalated because physically i wasn't very attracted to her and from talking to her and how much money she spends i found out she isn't worth my time so i never ever tried getting with her.

• It's not very good, I've been there and done that, it was really really tough with her

• How you portray yourself will influence what type of people you will attract. Being high maintenance can mean a lot of things and if that's who you are then be you! You will find people you like and that like you back because you are not trying to be something you're not.

• There's nothing with making yourself look good, but there is a point of excess. Life should have a focus of helping others, at least to me. Make sure your high maintenance outlook does not effect how you treat others. Always treat others with respect. I say this not to say that's what's happening but that it can be a danger. Simply put make sure your personality is just as beautiful as your body

Of course, even people who don't really care about their appearence should never forget that inner beauty and positive vibes are the most important 🙏🏻

• I'd dump your ass. High maintenance aren't worth it, been there, done that.

• There are bad and good things about it.

• Sounds like a lot of work. You're pretty good looking though so I could let it slide I guess.. lol

• More from Guys
    84

What Girls Said 33

• Truth? You're acting very superficial and immature. You've asked this question, and immediately chastize anyone who has an opinion that differs from your own. You're spending your own money as you say for the purpose of attention. You don't seem to be very articulate, and you seem to lack control of your emotions and impulses.. which, for your age is quite natural but those are things you may want to consider working on. It's always good to remain calm, calculating and collective.. nothing bad ever comes from controlling your emotions and using logic. You have every right to do and dress as you please but know that guys won't take you seriously. Expect backlash, expect judgement. Expect dishonesty and disloyalty. If they have the perception that you are "cheap" (even if you are not ) they will treat you as such. Maybe experiment with varying degrees of dress and makeup, and take note of how people treat you especially men.. and above all you're 16 remember to enjoy being a kid while you can. Adulting sucks. I would not reccomend it.

I said I'm spending my own money for attention? No bitch I didn't and first of all I'm defending myself bc these guys are all mostly dicks.

bye have fun with your nonexistent sex life

people that spend all their time in books have no real world "wisdom" or experience. which ever word u want to use since u are so wise o great one. i think u watch to much real house wives of some kind because i have no idea where u are getting ur predictions from, just looking at a girl and calling out her future based on how she likes to take care of herself. couple years ago it was healthy for one to want to take care of ones self... chicks are nasty little creatures, its great when they actually want to take pride in themselves. this only increases their own self confidence and normally makes their own relationships better because they care. this is just like the misuse of racist, biggot and now fearmonger. who is teaching/educationg u ppl? or is everyone just a parrot that wants a nice salty cracker unable to think at all on their own anymore?

• I've been told I'm high maintenance too. Mostly because I used to go shopping every week and cared about makeup and doing my nails. When people say "high maintenance" it mostly means spending money that you didn't earn yourself on things that only benefit you and no one else.

Now, I don't shop as much unless it's for a reason, I stopped wearing makeup, and I don't do my nails as often. I don't get those "high maintenance" comments anymore. Now, I get those, "Oh, you're so pretty!" comments but, to me it just feels like pity comments.

I think it depends on the type of people you hang out with also. If you're surrounding by people doing the same stuff you're doing, no one will call you "high maintenance" but, the rest of the world might.

my friends are pretty similar so no one tells me I am it's just my family

It could be possible that they're trying to tell you what no one else will tell you because they're family.

It would be pretty strange and come off as rude for a random stranger to come up to you and tell you that you look high maintenance.

• How in what way are you high maintenance? I think its best to stop listening to every and anybody. They sound like they want you to be miserable. So you need to list exact what they mean by high maintenance. So would they rather tag your was unkept? There is a limit to things, yes. But unless you need to buy out a whole mall, the man has to serve you, everybody needs to worship YOU. I doubt your high maintenance. As I say, have balance.

• They just don't like it. There are plenty of guys who like a girl who takes great care in taking care of herself. Prep wise I go both ways, I can go full no makeup with little problems... or I can really clean up and go all out. One thing I can say is... that a man isn't going to want you getting ready on HIS time in a way that's gonna make him late to something you two have planned together... make sure you have your timing together and work in order of priority with makeup. Behavior wise... there's a huge difference between not being a rug... and being way too demanding and rude. I'm very 'low maintenance' with my boyfriend because I know he respects me and doesn't take advantage. Don't sweat the small stuff and always treat a man like your partner not your property and you'll be fine.

• I think as long as those things are your own standards and the financial impacts that come with those things is your own then who cares? If you want to spend your time and money on your opinion it's no ones business

• Spending too much time on looking good is something good in my eyes. A guy is happy if you make yourself look your best when you two are going out. High maintenance is more like he needs to constantly care for you to the point that it's draining him.
    And it's those people that we might not be attracted to and not the ones who just spend time and money on looks. And if it's your own money, I see no problem

• Apparently I give off that vibe 🙄😒
    I don't know what it means exactly :/

it honestly just means you take pride in how you look/groom yourself well. apparently it's bad to do that according to most people responding 😒

if you're rich iam okay witht hat

It means that you're pretty and you seem like you have a keen sense of your value.

• If you pay it with your own money, no body has trouble from it.

• I seen no problem as long as they're not bitchy and mooch off of others. It's your money and you could do what you want.

• I do not submit cheap that is the name of the game, you want me you keep up with me and my maintenance

• Makeup and fashion are my passions , but I am not superficial it's very annoying when people put you in this stupid case just because I have a sense of style. Talk to me, get to know who I am then you will maybe have an opinion about me closer to the reality

dude same

Lol yeah they say we are superficial and only talk about makeup when the ones who say that are the first to awnser to allo the sexual questions I mean I could say they asshole and they only talk about sex 🙃

ahha yes true

• I think its okay if you're realistic, high maintenance can be taken in negative and positive but I think if a man can handle it then why not.

• If that counts as high maintenance then Im very high maintenance, too. The people I often hear say that are girls who don't spend time on looking good, and men who know they have no chance with you.

• Yeah, i do agree with yr fam.

• most arab girls are high maintenance haha
    that s good, means you take care of yourself.

• I'm a high maintenance girl myself, so I see nothing wrong with taking pride in one's personal upkeep. Besides, we're showing our guys they mean the world to us BC we wanna look beautiful for them. HM girls rock

personally myself I'm not doing it for my man but I respect why you do it. I'm doing it for myself

awe well that's completely fine personally I never do stuff to please people but it's cool you do you. he's lucky to have you as a wife 😄

awww, thank you!😄

• Im told im high maintenance but i really dont think I am, In my opinon high maintenance girls are okay as long as they dont go too far, know your limits or you'll drive the guy insane

Sometimes it's not so much about the appearance as it is about the attitude.

• Most females care about their appearance. If you notice when you see a female that her clothes are form fitting. Thats because females wear things that flatter their figures. Also, a lot of females always downplay their looks esp if you compliment them. a lot of females who will act like they dont care about their appearance or into fashion but they are.

I'm not afraid to admit that I care about my appearance bc honestly I think that's an important thing (as well as personality)

• To each their own, I don't have any set opinion on high maintenance girls.

The real question is why you don't have a pic of yourself for your profile when you're sooooo secure and so much better than people?
    (Based off your response to anyone who disagreed).

• Who cares, as long as you feel good and are nice.

• Do you know what gave it away in your comment for me to know you are high maintenance? The fact that you said LMAO that thinking high maintenance is a bad thing. The reality is, it is a bad thing because high maintenance is all about superficial things, image, status. If someone feels that this is "not a bad thing" then your focus on the inside is lacking as you're too busy with the outside.

I'm sorry I didn't know grooming yourself and taking pride in my looks is a bad thing?

i have lived long enough to know that even as a guy, looks will get u far enough. add some talent on that and bam, u are cutting edge. being nice is for the weak. i hate nice people. it makes me sick. i see an overly nice person i know they have nothing going for them. why? because only people who have nothing develope that personality type. im a little better off looking than most... ok so what, i never cared. but i take care of myself because i want to and i want to live longer and for other reasons i won't say here. for my personality, im smart, smarter by far than most people. again whoop so what. why should i care? i only care about my goals and getting my next mile stone done. why do u care about outer inner beauty? i only care about one person that would be my girlfriend. that spot is currently vacant, guess that frees up a lot of time for me ;). there are more than one way to deal with a high mx person just like there are many kinds of high mx people. many just want to take care of their bodies

• They're hot.

• I honestly think it's all on the type of person he is, there are men that don't mind if a girl keeps up with herself and spoils herself, you've just gotta find someone on your level who understands the things that you like

• From my experience, what I would define as high maintenance people would be those that make maintenance a lifestyle that gets in the way of interacting normally with people. I think those are the kind people might have a problem with but beyond that, it's whatever. Just be yourself.

• I think if you like the way you are and you act then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

• They care too much about their looks. There are more important things to be worrying about.

• i think many men prefer it but in moderation

• Omg if you didn't take care of yourself then you'd be called a slob and told to care how you look or take a little pride in your appearance. Looking good and feeling good are very important and go hand in hand. Just don't to take things to the level of narcissism or questionably mental and you'll be happy about who you are and remember, the haters are always going to hate.

• I avoid them. Pains in the ass, egotistical and can't hold conversations about real world problems.

• Too much work. Today with things being really high, plain jane is cheaper.

• More from Girls
    3