Why do people think physical attractiveness is important so much?

Yeah it have some importance, but clearly it is not the all. I saw some guys (and girls) who have even height requirements. I mean, come on, does it matter if your partner is little under your preferred ideal height? Physical attractiveness is not that important I think. Maybe hygen and style can be important but height, weight and skin color have no importance.

1mo I didn't cricitize the fact that people like attractive partners. It is human nature and who am I to cricitize this?
But, people who think about height and weight are extremely shallow I think.
How many women in the world are 5'9", leggy and perfectly hourglass typ

What Guys Said 20

• It's pretty important and if you're ugly you're going to have a much more difficult time in life. That's just reality. I think it's more emphasized in women in comparison to men though. Women are judged on their looks much more harshly than man. It's just delusion to say that it doesn't carry much importance. Especially in your younger years.. as you get older, people judge you differently but looks still come into play.

I've sort of lived this first hand. In my earlier years of HS I wasn't very good looking at all. People in general don't value you or what you have to say as much when you are unattractive.

But here is the catch.. most people are not actually ugly.. it's more of a choice to be ugly. Some people have to work harder than others but most of the time they aren't putting effort in the right areas.. or they simply don't care.

I started training at the gym. Went from a skinny-fat physique with bad posture to completely jacked from the start of HS to the my senior year. Was still sort of insecure and I ended up joining the military. This is when I really peaked. My physique was looking incredible, I had a ridiculous amount of confidence, had the hot girlfriend.

After that I literally had a different lens and perspective towards life in general. People treat me much better and actually want to hear what I have say. My opinions have value. I get more women talking to me. Day and night difference.

Words of the wise, here... super true!!!

C cup and fit body sounds nice but 5'2" is pathetic.

Yeah dude I get that but I don't think 2% is accurate when it comes to that lol. Look, we are all self critical, but I'm one of the few people that embraces those kind of insecurities. I'm a bodybuilder and I've never been completely content with my body. I look better than 90% of the population physique wise, but I still find flaws in everything. Those insecurities might bother you some, but they are beneficial. If you can subside all that emotion when needed and use it to your benefit, then you are in a good spot in life. The moment you become content is the moment you stop improving. I think the ideal of physical attraction is nothing more than a healthy and beneficial goal. I think people sell themselves short for the most part when it comes to attraction. Like this feminist movement saying that overweight "curvy" women are sexy. That's a peasant mindset in my opinion. Want to look a certain way? Go fucking make it happen you know

• genetics and social status.

Genetics- people naturally want their children to have the best life. Having attractive or good genes will increase their ability to find a partner, have better health etc.

Social status- people like to be successful. Having an attractive partner is an extension of themselves and people will be impressed that the person was able to marry or date someone with high attractive qualities.

Whereas if they date someone who is perceived as being very unattractive, it opens them up to criticism

statement is not directly black and white.
      I didn't cricitize the fact that people want attractive partner. I cricitize their "requirement list".
      How many woman in the world are over 5'9"+
      How many woman in the world have perfect houglass body?

• 29d

Most guys dont have a restrictive a list as women in my opinion.

• I think it depends on the individual and their values. I myself will know if I am attracted to someone. I think looks can have something to do with it, that is just being honest. but I think it is 50/50 with personality. I can get along with someone great that has an awesome personality, but in order for it to become a physical thing, I would need to first be physically attracted to that person. I think though that emotional attraction, like personality though, if strong enough can lead over time into physical attraction for the person, even if there was none previously.

• being attracted YES very important. now the build a bear exact stuff is stupid and i have only seen girls with that. but i am sureu can find guys with some weird standards if u looked hard enough.

but basically if u are not attracted to them why the hell would u want to get to know them? i wouldn't.

What about requirement list? I mean, how many women are 5'9"+ and leggy? :D

i have not met any guys that have ever said anything like that to me.
      I've seen and heard
      sammich, sucks dick, swallows, tight
      stuff like that, but pretty rare to hear actual physical list stuff. i myself think random combinations of traits is hot, so how is calling out a certain set good? i would be missing a bunch of other hot combinations. i like boobs but recently went out with a chick with a small rack but an awesome ass... while i question if i really could go without boobs, her ass was amazing and i did enjoy it a shit ton more than i thought i would. its like u learn something new every day expression. so why limit urself?

• You are confusing demanding perfection with the need to find your partner physically desirable. Not everyone has such high standards that they will reject someone for being an inch too high and those that do: that's their problem.

Yeah, statement is not always black and white

People tend to like attractive partner but they are not all like "Be Adriana Lima or gtfo"

• Even babies are biased in favor of conventionally attractive faces.

• It's important to get me interested in a gal, other things will either get me to stay or say "bye-bye."

So if she does not fit your weight height requirements, you say bye bye?

I really need to be more specific when I post things.

By "other things" I meant personality, attitude, etc

• I dont agree.
    Height, weight and skin color is also part pf physical attractiveness. If you say physical attractiveness is not important, then I can say you are lying.
    I personally can not be attrached to girls under 5'9" like most of guys in my country. How can I help it? Why should we do sex with someone we are not attrached?

• Because it is visually pleasing to the eye

• Cause we live in a shallow world and society.

• You're right they're shallow, And immature, or narcissistic among other things.

• because it is. We live in a world of judgmental dicktards and cuntwafts.

• It's important because physical attraction is a shallow thing.

Since people are shallow themselves...

• To an extent but at my age it's not my main focus

• it just does. then don't be ugly.

• Because they don't have a soul.

• it isn't that it is important. it is that if you go for an unattractive girl, that girl and everyone else will question your motives. thus, it is better to just stick to girls you are attracted to in order to minimize problems.

• Weight matters to me if it's unhealthy it doesn't look good and it will effect what she can do. Height if a lot shorter or if taller, skin colour but thats not looks based it's a selfish knowing i have to deal with racism to defend her (which i pay enough attention to know exists). Nationality depending on what her inlaws are like and if she is second or first generation if she wants to go back to visit for holidays in which case where abouts in the world? Do i think it's nice and does it cost a fortune or is there a low cost of liveing or relatives we can stay with witch could be awesome if it's some where nice and where able to take time off at the same time obviosly.

• I want someone sexy. Why? Because I want to know what it's like to put my penis inside a beautiful womans vagina... and fuck her while gazing down at her beautiful face and body, and cum inside her while basking in her glory. I feel like it would be waaay better than doing the same with someone I'm not attracted to. I guess you could say it's on my bucket list. I mean I suppose I could get a prostitute but that's a one time thing. I wanna do it like 10 times a day for like a month at least before we break it off ya know? Cuz one time of sex isn't good enough it's like doritos lol. When settling down to find someone to marry, she doesn't need to be perfect. She needs to be smart and fun and have a future, as well as at the very least having a relatively cute face, the rest doesn't matter as much. But god damnit I want to know what It's like to enjoy a beautiful woman first ya know?

• Weight matters a lot more tha style lmao.

• 29d

Height isn't a big factor for women. In some countries men prefer taller women on average and in some shorter. There's a range in what men prefer though and on top of that men tend not to make height s priority.

Some men prefer big hourglass some prefer thin. Some like thicker. Not that many prefer obese but that's actually what most people are becoming.

You're projecting female standards on to men.

Women tend to care less than men about looks but are also less easily impressed. They only find a small number of men really good looking.

Men care a lot but actually have more easily met standards.

What Girls Said 5

• For sexual purposes. It's easier to get turned in and stay turned on my someone who is physically appealing. Also, so u can say my man/girl is hot. Maybe not to others, but u should think ur guy ir girl is hot.
    I agree with what ur saying tho. Having standards vs having a preference r two different things tho. Sime people take it too far.

Yeah. A pair or inches are not magical. Attractiveness is a whole picture.

• because humans are status whores, that's why

for that reason, i place a premium on my own physical appearance even though i wish i didn't have to think about it

• I care about physical attraction but only after I discover that the guy has a good personality. I have this policy that until I see a guy do something good for either myself or others - his looks, intelligence and wallet do not matter.

• I don't think you understand this enough. Preferences do not equal attraction. Neither does being hot. You're just attracted to some people, and not to others.

• I have no "define requirements" I just appreciate certain physical attributes unique to certain individuals. And I notice more of them and appreciate them more when I enter relationships.