Do girls actually have height requirements?

Like when you read forums and memes it seems that short guys are some sort of disease. I've lost count on how many posts I have read where a girl (if it is a girl) states she only dates guys that are at least 6ft tall. And I've seen memes of girls posting thinks like

"when he's height starts with 5"
"what do you call a guy under 6'2 - a friend"

Is this kind of thinking really representative of real life? Do girls actually think in terms of height and put strict requirements on guys?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know about other girls, but height does not bother me. I never really thought it was a thing until I read about it on GAG. You could be shorter, taller, or the same height as me. If I find you're face attractive and personality attractive, then you are practically perfect 👌🏻

Most Helpful Guy

• The ideal height woman want in men is 6'2". However, women are willing to settle for men over 6'0" which is about 18% of male populace.

If we compare a man's height to a woman age. Add 5 years starting from age 20 to a woman's age and subtract 2 from a male's height to consider the relation.

6'2"=20years old
    6'0"=25 years old
    5'10 = 30 year old
    5''8=35 year old

So to women. Settling for a guy who is say 5'8 is equivalent to a guy getting a girl who is age 35. Not ideal partner you would want in a mate but many people have to settle eventually or end up alone.

Funny enough for a large percentage of women the minimum height their willing to settle for correlates well with this age.

For example - You'll find a lot of girls in their early 20's who will only date guys around 6'2" but are willing to now give a guy 5'9" a chance when she is 30.

I don't know where you came up with this, but it's interesting. Guess I'll have to look for 30 year olds ;)

What Girls Said 116

• Haha no. This is just something those forums exaggerate on.

I've seen so many negative posts and memes by men about dark skin women. Fat women, flat chested women, etc.
    Yet I see all those types of women still dating. And I see short men in relationships, go figure.

I personally dont mind height as long as he isn't shorter than me.

dont put fat women in the same category as dark skin women, flat chested women and short men. Being fat is a person own fault and says a lot of things about their personality.

Ok then ignore the fat women part, point still stands.

• I'm 5'6" and most guys are taller than me, as long as he's taller I'm good.
    But my preference is 5'9" and up.

• I don't think it really matters. I had a friend who dated a guy 7 inches shorter than her. Its about the attraction she feels for her.
    But there is this norm where girls are "instantly attracted" to guys who are taller than her. Its a psychological thing about feeling like guys who are taller than her are more masculine.
    Bottom line, if a girl actually likes you, she would not consider height a requirement. Honestly, there are more important things than height. Loyalty, commitment. And how compatible you are for one another?

• I don't personally. If people ask my preference I can shoot a number, but it's not a strict, concrete guideline. Just don't prefer dudes that are my height or shorter.

• People do have standards but the girls who write that stuff aren't worth your time. It's one thing to have a preference. It's completely different when you feel the need to insult someone who doesn't live up to your standards. I would think that people like that have an overall bad attitude. Girls like that usually have high expectations in everything. They're the type that would find fault in anything you do.

As for me, I'm 5'4 and the guy I'm interested in right now is about my height. I doubt he'll ever like me though because I'm ugly.

• For the love of jellybeans if I see ANOTHER height obsessed question I might lose it!! The height doesn't matter the personality does, c'mon shorter guys of gag PLEASE get some self confidence!!! We love you as you are if your personality is loveable. *rant over.

Sorry asker, I just had to (no offence).

• That's only true for a very small number of people from what I've seen! I know that it's not true for me or anybody that I know, that's all for sure! For me, there's no problem with height or anything. However, I guess for example, if there were identical twins and one was 5ft and one was 6ft, the 6ft one would be the more popular choice. But in the end of the guy is actually 5ft and a great guy, it wouldn't matter too much. And the girls who only are attracted to height and that's all are pretty low to only be attracted to people because of height. Yes, it can be a feature that you find specifically attractive, but if you only want to date someone just because they're tall, that doesn't fly with me. You should date someone for who they are not what they are! So if you find that height truly bothers someone, just know that any sort of deep relationship wouldn't have been possible to begin with! So don't feel bad about your height! :)

• I wouldn't look at a roomful of eligible men and automatically pick a guy who's shorter than me. If I knew you and we became romantic then it's not a problem. While there's no specific height requirement I do prefer them taller then me. My husband is 6'3".

• 29d

Damn 6'3, wish I was that tall, one of my female friends has placed that type of requirements on her guys. I'm only 5'9 though. But its fine we all have our requirements. I wouldn't pick a girl who has small boobs, small butt and little curves. And short girls are awesome too.

• 28d

There's someone for everyone. That's the wonderful thing about men & women (and men & men and women & women).

• 20d

It's just determining whose right for you..

• Not a requirement but I'm 5'10 so I'd ideally like to date someone around 5'8"-6'2/3"

• For me height isn't a big deal. If a guy likes me and I find him attractive, that's all that matters. Heck, I'd think it's cute if a guy is shorter than me!

• 29d

How tall are you and how shorter he can be from you and it would still be cute?

• 29d

Being attractive sexually, yes. That might make me a weird girl, but that doesn't matter. And for hygienic purposes, yes he'll need to shave so he can be healthy. But a man can be sexy either way, so shaving or not he's still a sexy beast.

• 29d

So you would need him to shave down there for hygeiene purposes?
      A furry groin in unhygienic but furry body elsewhere is hygeienic?

• Of course tall guys seem protective and strong but to be hobest when it comes down to an absolutely awesome guy, I wouldn't mind if he was shorter than me. Seriously, if he's alright, some girls should stop being so thick.

how can a skinny tall guy seem stronger than a muscular buff short guy i just dont get it

Neither do I but that's what most girls go for. I prefer the kind of chubby teddybear-like guys anyways.

• Again with the height whining... girls who. have strict requirements about height are not worth your time. Now don't make. me repeat that again.

• I'd like to say I don't have height requirements but that was only before my first boyfriend. Once I got into a relationship I realized I would prefer the guy to be at the very least as tall as I am. But I don't think it's a real dealbreaker if he's not. (Though funnily enough I've never gotten crushes on guys shorter than me. Maybe subconsciously it is a "requirement" for me.)

• Ideal height: 6'3"
    My BF: 5'9"

We all have preference, but when it comes down to it, I couldn't care less how he looks. I care about his character, his integrity, and how he treats me.

• I'm only 5.3 so height has never bothered me... but I have seen messages on here where people insist on certain height, but it seems to me it's like most things, people have preferences.

A lot of men would totally overlook someone of my height (mainly because I'm tiny ha) but that's because we have type, and we all do it... even subconsciously.

However statistically aren't men on average 5.10?

I personally don't think it's representative.

• Do girls actually have height requirements?
    Some gals do. No different than some guys have age, weight, and beauty requirements ir must be cute/pretty etc.

Height matters for some gals be it a status thing, protection emotion, or attraction.

• Well, I prefer guys who are tall or at the least taller than me. I wouldn't be okay with dating a guy who is my height, and finding one who's shorter than me, is almost impossible.
    So, maybe I do have a requirement.
    However, I don't know if this is representative of real life. I can't speak for all the girls, only about myself.

What's your height?

@OrangeBoy I'm 5'5".75 (167 cm)

You're right, that's true. But many people judge girls who are not into short guys.

• Yup. I don't think I'd date anyone (male or female) below 5'5 and I don't want to be with someone over 6'0.

• I dont have a preference. I love extreme height differences but I really dont care how tall or short someone is. If I want to date them its cause I want to date them, not their height.

• As long as he's not shorter than me I don't give a shit. I'm 5'4 so very, very few guys are actually shorter than me

• Don't take the opinions on the internet as fact. Short guys do fine.

Oh and to answer your question, no I do not. I'll date any height

• 26d

@Nik1hil haha no thanks

• 20d

I promise you he is @notsoromantic he won't be looking in your eyes!..

• Height isn't a requirement for me, although I do like when people I date are taller then me (thats not hard to do tho bc most people are) although it really depends on their personality. I can't date someone without a sense of humor or someone who can hold an intellectual conversation.

• I don't really have a height requirement. I'll date them if I like them.
    I mean it'd be nice for them to be the same height or taller to make sex easier, but I'm not too picky

• yeah I do. not into short guys. like not into fat guys. spirit
    shorter? yeah, he's gonna be friend zoned bc I won't find him attractive

I dont really mind girls saying they dont want to date a guy that is shorter than them if it makes them feel uncomfortable. Its only when they take it steps further and say a guy must be their height + high heels + 4 inches.
      I am 5'9 and I have heard girls who are 5'6 say they won't date a guy my height because high heels is an issue. I think thats pushing it and its ridicolous, there's no way a girl would feel small next to a guy thats 3 inches taller especially if the guy is buff. No way

Where do you live and go out to where people act and talk like that in their 30s?

Pennsylvania

• As long as he's 4'11" or taller I don't really care. I'll even go down as far as 4'10", but any shorter than that and I'll feel like a pedo. I'm 5'1" so there isn't too bad of a height difference between 4'11" and my height, but even I have my limits.

• Yes, they do generally they don't date guys shorter than them but except that in my country we doesn't have this kind of things "Oh your shorter than 180 cm goodbye".
    For me he should be at least 170 cm (5'7) and not taller than 2 m (6'7) maximum because after it look really ridiculous. if the girl is too short that's awkard, it's generally better to date around your height I think.

• Pretty sad... all guys seem to use this as an excuse to say: I'm lonely and mad at the world, but I'd never, for the life of me, approach any girl... in case she rejects me.

actually I have had girls who are same height as me tell me I am too short and that they only date tall guys. Therefore I only approach girls who are at most 5'6, (I am 5'9), so I dont have to deal with this crap

• It all depends on the girl, I do not care about height, one time during work I had to go to the warehouse to give the manager some papers,
    So I walked past this guy and he had black hair and blue eyes he was so cute and I think he was either the same height as me or maybe 2 or 3 inches taller. I'm 4'11 and I did not care that he was short.

• At 5ft almost all guys are taller than me so I don't have that issue. I think it's more to feel safe, in people's minds height = power.

• a lot of people have a preference on what they like. I prefer taller guys also.

• More from Girls
    86

What Guys Said 53

• Some women do that because they are tall. Some want a man that will still be taller than she when she wears heels. Some short women just love having a big man that can envelop her in his arms. I'm 6'2" and have been with women from 5' to 6'1". I don't mind if a woman is taller than me in heels. If I was looking, I'd have no problem with a woman who was taller than 6'2". For many men who are rather macho, a taller woman may threaten his manhood and he won't go there. The main point being that woman and men have varied preferences. Ignore the stupid jokes.

• Of course. in many ways girls are just as superficial as guys. Height is one of them.

"I need a guy who is taller then me in my 10 inch heels. I'm only 5'8"

I'm 5'10 and I'm sure many women consider that too short.

I think women want a guy who is taller then them.

To be fair a lot of guys feel insecure dating taller women. So both genders have a height requirement. I personally wouldn't want to date a woman who was taller. I would, but I would rather same height or shorter.

Point is-both men and women are a little superficial. Just being realistic here.

• let's say a girl is 5'5" and she has the option between a guy who is 5'8" and good looking and another who's 6'2 and is alright looking, they'll choose the taller guy because they feel that it's more protection for them. that's not always the case tho. I think a girl will get with a guy who is at least an inch under or exactly their height. it is rare for a girl to get with a guy that is way shorter than her because it looks bad. I'm 5'5" in high school so I've been studying this for a while

• lol Im about 5'6 or 5'7 I've never been self conscious about my height. Also keep in mind that Im always honest about my height nor do I take myself so serious that I can't joke around about it. I dont need to a super fly guy I just love enjoying life.

• Ah, while it makes sense to date in a 4" range up and down, the height queens under 5" who only date guys above 6" are the worst kind of women on the planet. But then again, it's best that they filter themselves out with their materialistic vanity altogether.

Most reasonable females don't have such arbitrary rules. They either find you attractive or they don't, they don't walk around with a goddamn tape measure.

• There is a big difference between a preference and a requirement. Women often confuse the two. If a woman rejects you cause your not her dream guy then that in the long run is much better for you.

• A lot of people are full of shit on the internet.
    "what do you call a guy under 6'2 - a friend" is obviously a joke. Not many guys here are above 5'11. I'm sure if prince long shlong and handsome came by (who might be 2 inches taller), they'd pounce on him.

• Women can set whatever selection criteria they want. That is their right.
    It is also the right of men who are of average, or less than average, height to reject those women a few years later, after the women have hit the wall and the power dynamic shifts to give men the upper hand.

• Oh yes, it's definitely a thing. Sometimes it's just a relative difference ("he has to be two inches taller than me"), which I guess fits with men's preference for women shorter than them. Sometimes though women have an absolute limit, even if they're small themselves (they want the bragging rights).

What I don't get is how women often say tall men make them feel small and protected: most of those 6'2" and up guys look like they could be snapped in two by a gush of wind.

P. S. I'm 6' so I'm not an angry short guy, I'm just curious about the whole thing.

• The authoritative poll has been taken and the results are as expected: *_RELATIVE_* height is the important thing the majority of the time:

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2106560-we-know-you-like-tall-men-how-tall-need-they-be-relative-to-your

Girls generally like a guy who is at least a little taller than she is. A 5'3" guy will do well with a 5' girl. Hope for short guys!

• Well I am 5'9", and I am no buff guy, I am athletic and in shape, but definitely not the big tall strong guy and although I am currently single, I never have a problem getting girls to talk to me. I think its more of the individual and their confidence, although there are probably some woman that strictly only date tall men. I do not think that this is all women though. What it comes down to is that everyone has a preference on what they like.

• some women will care about height. some will care somewhat. some won't care

• Many do, but it can be overcome if you're cool enough in her eyes. I have female friends who have literally turned guys down for that reason alone. Most girls just want you to be taller than them. Others want you taller than them in heels. But girls are flexible for the right guy. They just have their own superficial wants, just like guys do.

Everyone has a type.

• Perhaps it's an evolutionary thing where they want to feel protected.
    Or perhaps they think other body parts will be proportionate.

Either ways, people are entitled to their checklists even if it reduces their chances of finding love. A lot of people will eventually have to make trade-offs as it's unlikely they'll find anyone who meets all of their criteria.

• Yes. How do you not know this already?

Or are you just trying to see how many women will actually tell the truth?

• i think they want someone whol will look taller or their height when tehy wear heels and looks manly to them, i was once talking to this girl who is barely 5ft tall and iam 6'2 she said thats way too tall for her, but it didn't stop her from talking to me anyway.

• Some do but you're only seeing those posts so it just seems that way, I've never had a problem but I'm 5'10" which isn't that tall but most girls are shorter than me

• Yes. Women are far more shallow than men. when was the last time you saw a plus size MALE model? Never

• Maybe some women do but I don't think all

• I don't know man, in my country people generally are not tall. People over 6' are pretty rare. Generally when choosing a partner girls just see whether the guy is relatively taller than her. I don't think in our country girl have such strict height level. But 99% of them definitely want their guys to be taller than them.

And personally as a guy, I want my girl (whenever I get a girl :P ) to be shorter than me. That's it. :)

• Yes, of coarse they do... especially tall women. Their requirements tend to be the most stringent from my experience... and they're usually the ones who also critique men most for preferring shorter women, haha

^ lol this, agreed. :P Of course there are also some short women who are like 5'0" saying that their man must be 6'0"+ or something hahaha, but for the most part, shorter women are more open to shorter men.

• Seems obvious to me girls generally don't like midgets unless they are desperate or have no standards. I'm 5'5" and still can't really blame them. If I were a girl I wouldn't want to date a guy shorter than me or even the same height either. No big deal, just stay single.

• Just gotta be a little taller than them, like 90% of women are incapable of estimation. If she's barely over 5 feet and you're 5'8, don't worry, you're really 6'2 in her mind.

• Just read those comments in female section fellas. Isn't that enough to convince you mgtow is the answer? This narcissism is caused by feminism indoctrination and the gynocentric society & culture

• Some girls do yeah. Some are attracted to a certain height, or just want him to be taller than them

• No that's only men lol.

• A lot of them want guys that are 6'2"-7'0".
    i.huffpost.com/.../o-KEVIN-HART-570.jpg

• I don't think so. I have plenty of short friends who have no problems at all attracting women and getting girlfriends/wives.

• Reading what some of the girls say
    suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/.../...63689607.jpg

You know, if a girl rejects you of your height you should actually be happy you didn't take things further with her.
      Imagine having kids/marrying such a shallow person..

That's a positive way to look at it I guess ;P

• More from Guys
    23