Should an ex always remain an ex?

My ex broke up with me almost a month ago. We didn't speak for about 2 weeks then he started messaging me. I have been replying but keeping it light and friendly. I have always felt as though exes should be left in the past but now I am not sure. He has been quite persistent and the break up itself wasn't bad.

My mum has always said to me 'True love always finds its way'.

Should I go with my heart or my head on this?

Most Helpful Guy

• There's a reason he's an ex. If he changed, and the situation is different, then reevaluate and work from there. If not, nothing changed. You're better off.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, exes are exes for a reason. When you break up, it's easy to forget all the problems because you're no longer in the relationship currently. However, the relationship did end for a reason. I really regret getting back with an ex in the past. It's pretty rare that things magically get better after splitting, in my opinion.

What Guys Said 2

• I prefer to leave my exes in the past. At least X#1 (2015) & I haven't talked for over a month. I will only return to the program where we met if I lose my job and take months to find another one. Otherwise, forget that program and I doubt I'd run into her elsewhere. As for X#2, I think she's still attached to me because she guilt-trips me if I forget to send her a recovery ecard every single Sunday.

• there are no rules to life

What Girls Said 2

• It really depends some people break up and genuinely want to be together, figure out why you two broke up, you shouldn't have to try and force the relationship, if it comes naturally I wouldn't just ignore it.

• I generally have believed you shouldn't get back with an ex, however almost a year ago i dumped my boyfriend. After several months of trying to move on, i just couldn't do it. He just disappeared didn't respond to me, nothing. I finally got in touch with him back in July, we got back together in September and im very very happy that we did get back together.

I do believe there are exceptions. I just don't know if we are one of them or if it's worth finding out...

Thank you

I struggled with it for months before i finally made up my mind what to do. It wasn't an easy process for me, but when i finally got through it it was pretty clear to me what i wanted.