Could you date a person who used to do drugs in their past, but are completely free now?

They used to be addicted or some such but are completely free now and got over it. could you date them?

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone has a past, has done something they're not proud of, and has made mistakes. Of they have truly changed, then I don't really care who they were, only who they are now.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a turn off, not gonna lie, but maybe I could give it a try if I knew she won't do it again, and has some morals. Usually, druggies don't tend to be good people.

• 26d

Thanks for the MHO

• 26d

Used to have a druggie in the group. He was so toxic, almost got his own brother killed trying to get his fix. He went into therapy, and presently he's the only one of the entire group who has all his shit together. He has his own place, his own car, pays all his own bills without needing roommates to help, and he regularly treats us all to meals. He made a real a true honest full 180 recovery.

• 26d

@dragonfly6516 That's awesome. It's good to see people that actually do good after drugs. Unfortunately, it's not most people :/

What Girls Said 26

• As a recovering (or recovered) addict myself, I would find it hard to b with someone who I knew has the same habits as I did. It might b nice to b with someone who understands what it's like and is going through the same thing, tho... I guess it really just depends on the person, how Long they have been clean, and how serious they r about their health now...

• I would give them a chance. One of my good guy friends is one of the strongest and kindest people I know and he has overcome an addiction from his past. There was a time when I was romantically interested in him, and I was actually even more drawn to him from hearing his personal experiences with how he realized what drugs were doing to him and his family and how he made the conscious decision to cut out the drugs in order to repair his relationships. It was very moving.

• I've tried dating that type of person before. They were clean to pick up girls and get a job but, once they got both, they picked up on drugs again, and used even more than they used to because they believed that since they stopped before, they could do it again. They're my ex now. They still do drugs.

• I believe everyone deserves a chance... though in the back of my mind I would always hope that the person wouldn't go back to the lifestyle.

• Sure, as long as they are tested for any diseases. Of course I can't really judge. I have done some drugs in the past.

• No. People don't change. they just put their bad actions on hold until the next breaking point and I don't want to be with a drug addict

• I'm the only drug they'll ever need.

• Only if they swore they would never touch it again.

• Well, my current boyfriend used to smoke marijuana, he wasn't an addict or anything but he did smoke it. He doesn't do it now. Im fine with that, but i doubt i'd get involved with a former addict.

• Weed? Yeah but other drugs NO.

• I used to smoke weed but I was never addicted

• I could. But I would always be thinking they might return to their old habits.

• Definitely. The past is in the past. As long as they had delt with the addiction, preferably with professional help and were not likely to replapse.

• Maybe. But they'd have to be clean and sober for a long time first

• yes of course, my boyfriend used to be addicted and i met him when he was free and got over it

• Most of us have done things in our past that we regret later in life.

• if they have turned a new leaf

• Depends on the drug

• Maybe not.

• Depends what drugs...

• nope nope nope

• I personally couldn't but I have a friend who's boyfriend has just been sober 3 years... would be 5 but he's had a few relapses

• Absolutely.
    I live with an ex, born again christian fully now, who used to do the devil's work.
    However, I always believed in him, knew that one day he would turn his life around again, and even now, best friends to the ends.

• I might give them a chance but i would never stop thinking that they can return to the adictions and I dont think thats very healthy for the relationship

• I wouldn't. I've had drug addicts in my family shot and go back, I don't trust it

• Depends on what it was. I've seen family members relapse hard on meth after years of being clean. 😟

What Guys Said 20

• Yes. Both of my exes in 2015 have intoxication histories. X#2 has more than X#1 but both were clean & sober the last times I saw each of them. X#2 actually takes the time to celebrate her sobriety anniversary every year. This year was 24 years for her.

• I often say what is important is the present and the future not the past - Let's face it, who has a perfect past?

• depends on their story, and how weak willed they are... like are they going to relaps? some people just mess around when they are stupid kids and it was a phase. other people it was a part of their life for a long time. it would really depend on the person, but i would be up to listen to it and decide. i have been around more than one little druggie chick. they are not really any different than any other chick when it comes to screws loose lol.

• Most likely. I've done a number of drugs and still have a few beers every now and then. The only drug I was ever addicted to though was tobacco and I was able to quit that by choice and never relapsed. I'm OK with some drug use, but I'd probably have an issue with an addictive personality. So if they were addicted to opiates or something like that and they are generally predisposed to developing addiction and lack the will power to fight it then I probably would be turned off.

• Yes, Everyone I know has tried some type of drug in their life... be it illegal (weed, cocaine) prescription drugs or alcohol.

• While I'm in my twenties, no. Perhaps later in life but even then that's a massive IF.

• Yes, I could.

• Yes, but it would really have to be in the past and I'd need to feel they wouldn't fall back first chance they get.

• Depends

• 27d

on what?

• 27d

How badly they were affected by the drugs. Some people do them and you'd never know and some have facial problems or get sick all the time and have unhealthy skin.

Let me put it like this, I couldn't care less who you were, it's who you are right now that matters.

• Yes. Absolutely.

• It would depend on what kind of drugs. Crack or meth, NOOOOO !!!

• Probably not. It depends on how long ago they took them. And at my age, that's not long ago at all.

• I would not date a person regardless of whether or not they used to do drugs in their past. #aromantic

• sure, if they are completely free and never looking back to that then sure i would date them

• I'd need proof. Like no marks anywhere on their body, no drugs in the house. LOTS of proof.

• Yeah as long as they're actually clean now

• I could

• Depends on the drug...

• No, I wouldn't be able to trust them...

People who use drugs always end up going back on them when things get tough...

I need a girl who can handle her stuff when things get tough, not go smoke a blunt.

• Yes, I would date myself!!!