If a guy and a girl go to the movies together that is a date right?

I asked this girl to go to the movies with me last night and she agreed, but then afterwards when we were talking I said something like "Thanks for agreeing to go on a date with me" and she was like "Wait this was a date? I thought we were just friends"

WTF that is a date is it not? Going to the movies (for tickets that I paid for and preordered). She was dressed nicer then usual so I assumed she knew, and I specifically went up to her in school and asked her to go just with me, no one else. I just assumed she knew it was a date. That's a date right? What's the deal?

What Girls Said 2

• No, it's not a date until you ask her on a date. People go to the movies with friends. Friends can be male or female. You didn't ask her on a date so it's not a date.

• lol yeah I would take it as a date
    unless I have previously made it clear to him I only see him as a friend

What Guys Said 1

• Maybe she thought you was being nice and friendly. Yes and no a movie can be considered a date. You just asked her to go to the movies it wasn't like you discussed it with her if it was a date or not. Who ever offers and invites first has to pay. That seems like the way it is. Sometimes girls can play games and get confused. Just be careful. Im assuming you just took her to the movies only? And no resturant or food was involved after? With a date I feel it has to be talked about to avoid confussion.