Does it matter who messages first?

I've been messaging the guy I like and I'm trying to figure out if he likes me back. Do I come off as too desperate if I'm the one who usually messages first? This may be a little obsessive, but I counted it up, and I've initiated the conversation 8 times while he's only initiated 4. Would it be bad for me to message him tonight (the last message was Thursday)? If not, what are some things I could say to him? Thanks in advance!

What Guys Said 3

• I truthfully never really message first. I'll initiate the first conversation but then she is usually the one that hits me up. It's not that I'm trying to prove a point I just have a lot of people I talk to throughout the day. Doesn't make a difference to me. If I want to talk to her then I'll talk to her. No thought process to it.

• no it doesn´t, you´re not in kindergarden. if you want to text them, text them. if they are not interested in you, you won´t change that by waiting for their text XD

as to what to say: it´s always helpful to ask them about something you know they are interested in. or just tell them about something you like and ask them for something they like in return.

• No, it doesn't matter who messages first but some of guys don't do it first cause we are shy , we fear the girl will think we are being creepy or being
    a nuisance to her.

What Girls Said 2

• No it doesn't matter. When I get a new number I wait few minutes or till I'm back from school or work and text him. But it doesn't really matter, u can however playfully ask him or tell him that u text him first more than he does.

• In my opinion, it depends on a few things such as; who didn't text back, was the conversation good or was he being dry, who initated the last text. If he usually doesn't text back or is dry, then let him text you but if he shows interest when texting, it's okay to text him first.