How long do you 'unofficially' date someone before you ask them to be your girlfriend?

I've been seeing the same guy for 6 months, I'm wondering if it will ever happen or if it's likely I'm being strung along..

Most Helpful Guy

• Normally women start trying to call me their boyfriend within bout 2 weeks of meeting them lol

• hahah well it looks like i'm well overdue then! :)

• haha, oh wow! on that time line I should have already discussed how many children we're going to have now, let alone if he's my boyfriend haha

• huh iv been seeing this girl for 2 weeks and she's alrdy trying to get me to move closer to her and actually talked about how our kids will look lol..

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know how long would be appropriate. I've only been in one relationship, but we'd known each other for a while. We dated for about a month before I told him I loved him, to which he reciprocated, and we started dating "officially" that day. It's different for every relationship though, and if you feel like you want to be "official" then you have to tell him. Communication is important. This is also 2016, men aren't the only ones who ask to be official now, you don't have to wait for him to do it.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Guys Said 16

• I'd say you're being strung along, but you can check by introducing yourself as his girlfriend to his friends and family and see how he and they respond.

• No definitive timeline, but usually at least a month of getting to know each other. I want to know we are a possible long-term match, before asking her to be my girlfriend.

• I think I would be some months, but nothing is exact, I need to make sure if I want her to be girlfriend and it depends a lot on the experiences I have lived with her, I want to travel, invite her to my house and many other things before deciding to ask her.

• That's what I've done in every case. Some shorter than others. Longest being dated unofficially for 8 months and shortest being "talking" for about 2 - 4 months.

• Once we start having sex, they are in the girlfriend category. And that's always been within weeks, not months.

• 6 months is way too long. But if you talk to him about it, then it's kind of like you're pushing things along and you won't get that natural feeling.

• Time to ask him straight out what is going on

• I figure by the 3rd date/time meeting up together, it is automatically a relationship.

• 6 Months? haha... sorry, I don't mean to laugh but I think you should know the answer by now.

• Shorter than 6 months. He's stringing you along in my opinion.

• Till she lets me stick it up the arse

• I dated my current girlfriend for two months before making it official. Wish I waited longer tho.

• After 6 months, you should have a clear idea of where things are. You should ask for clarification now.

• I think it is time you asked him where you two stand.

• If I really care for someone, I give it 2 months

• it has to be exactly 7 mounths 4 days and 37 seconds and longer and you have blown it any less time and the world will explode!

What Girls Said 2

• Are you sure you aren't his girlfriend now? Not everyone feels the need to have "the talk" and 6 months is a pretty long time

• Why wouldn't you talk though? Doesn't that just lead to confusion?

• We had the 'talk' a few days ago, he basically said he really likes me and values what we have, but doesn't care about the boyfriend/girlfriend label right now and 'doesn't want to rush into anything' I said I respected his opinion, but in my opinion 6 months is the definition of taking it slow.. thank you for both of your replies! :)

• Doesn't sound like a relationship then lovely 😕 6 months is a long time to give to someone who refuses to define what you are. You're not asking for the wife label

• it depends, i it was after 18 dates for me