Girls, would you feel bad if your SO showered you with gifts?

Guys, would you do that if you could?

My boyfriend has been spoiling me a lot. I mean, I love what he gets me and he really has the means while I don't, but I feel a little embarrassed/uncomfortable. I would hate it if he ever thought that's what our relationship is all about.
He also never lets me pay for meals whatsoever (he will say "that's out of question" and get really serious if I ask) and I wonder wether he's trying to pamper me or he just thinks I'm too poor to treat him with nice dinners.

What Guys Said 5

• Please don't feel bad, embarrassed or uncomfortable about it! It's our duty to take care of and provide for our lady and he's doing exactly that. :)

I also don't think he's just doing it because he thinks you're poor. My girlfriend makes a ton of money herself but I never let her pay for anything in our relationship! haha

My advice is to let him treat you like a princess and enjoy it. :)

• No he just really likes you, sit him down and have a talk about being on the same playing field. The other possibility is he thinks he owns you... When I own a chick ( I mean she hangs on my every word and is there at every beck and call ) I do not pay for more than half. So yeah I think you just need to have a talk and tell him how you feel. Do not break up with him for it it will crush him. Seriously he really likes u

• I wouldn't do that, cause I don't put much value on gifts, to me, a hug says more than something bought with money.
    I don't expect her to shower me with gifts, so I won't do the same. If she's the type of person who needs money to know if I like her, then we're incompatible.

• And here I was thinking I was being a good boyfriend

• If I could then I would do it on special occasions to make it more like it means something

What Girls Said 21

• I never had an issue with it until I got older. I don't believe love is items it's how you treat each other it's the time you spend with each other. But my ex used items to show me he loved me he was very big on things. Don't get me wrong we did what I wanted to but he used to spend thousands of dollars on me trying to prove his love more than anything else. When we broke up I had all of these things that no longer felt like mine. I felt like I owed him, even when we were still together. I hated it.

• I would feel awkward if he spent so much money for me. I think that he simply shows how much he loves you this way and it is nice but I don't expect gifts without occasion or expensive things in general. I just want him to be with me, hug me, kiss me 😊 money can't buy it. Love is everything.

• I would feel super awkward. I don't mind a few gifts but showered with them? I'd feel uncomfortable and reassure them that their presence is enough, I don't need tons of presents to know they care.

• I wouldn't feel uncomfortable at all! If he/she felt the need to shower me with gifts then yeah crack on.

However if I felt like he/she was trying hang something on me (almost like guilt tripping or keeping score for later (like blackmail)) then yeah I'd feel uncomfortable. Sounds extreme but couldn't think of something less.

That said, I'll be pretty confident in saying that they needn't buy me gifts etc. I mean I like the thought but it's not necessary and just them being by side is all that is required!

• All the time, it'd get annoying. I want to be able to help contribute to the relationship and not just get handed all sorts of stuff.

• Ok seriously stop complaining, this honeymoon stage won't last forever so just enjoy it. In a few years when he stops buying you stuff and you start having a joint bank account etc you'll kick yourself for overthinking his kindness! Just appreciate it and stop being ungrateful.

• He's probably just a proper gentleman, but I get where you coming from bc I don't like a whole bunch of things bc I'll feel as if I would owe them something, talk to him ab it and tell him to ease up if you want

• Have a chat with him about it. Don't bring it up as an issue, just bring it up as you'd like to do nice things for him as well

• I'd like it

• He probably has good intentions, but I know that I'd be bothered by it. For me, it would feel like he's trying to "buy" my love. We're not in the 1950's anymore, I can buy my own shit.

• 23d

I think it's not ab buying love as he knows I've been crazy ab him for 3 years... I've been going through a lot and we had some bad fights so thats pretty much it. But I don't wanna feel like he's superior or whatever

• Why would you feel bad? He's being a good boyfriend but if you feel uncomfortable then be open to him and speak. Some people find pleasure in showering their loved ones with gifts if they can. It feels good to give than to receive as what they said.

• Hell no. I'd soak it up. I'm always the one getting my husband gifts. XboxOne with a crap load of games. Midnight showing of Star Wars Episode 6. He's a bit of a nerd. 😊
    But if your boyfriend is spoiling you, you should return the favor.

• 23d

I do with love and affection, bc I can't really with actual gifts...

• I would be uncomfortable too so I understand.
    Tell him how you feel and why. That you are afraid he will think it is about the money. Maybe he wants to make things easier for you or he is the type that likes to take care of his partner.

• If he is doing it on his own will; I would feel adored

• How lovely of him, they guy I'm dating right now, we just pay for own meals hehe.. You lucky sometimes I wish I was spoiled without having to ask or something

• 23d

Seriously, why do you put up with that? haha None of the women I know would ever put up with a guy who lets them pay their own meals. Tell him to man up and pay for you! haha

• 23d

@notreallythere No not really, I do say sometimes that I want like a coffee and then he buys that, but I guess that's just how it is..

• 23d

You could tell him that you want to have dinner and see if he buys you dinner then. Or if you're in a restaurant and the bill comes, pretend you forgot your wallet. And after he paid you tell him how lovely that was and how much you enjoyed him taking care of you! Maybe he gets the idea and pays for you on his own from then on. :D

• Aww my ex use to do thatlol means he's too much of a gentleman ;) but yeah id feel embaressed to!! just buy him a little something whenever

• I'd feel bad if I was never able to do the same

• what kind of presents?
    my ex did the same... always gave me like a gift gold jewerly sets and phones and laptops
    i never asked him, he did it bcoz he wanted to

• At least you have a boyfriend...

• I feel uncomfortable

• i would feel like it is about time. and also he could be cheating and trying to make himself feel better

• 24d

You'd break up bc your boyfriend is trying to please you?

• 24d

Well, I know why he's getting me the gifts. Just don't know how to deal with it

• 24d

accept them and dont question it then