What is an open relationship?

What is an open relationship? Why would someone be in an open relationship? Has any of y'all been in one, in so, what are they like?

What Guys Said 18

• I've never figured it out. But there is more to a relationship than sex. I knew a couple who were married and it was an open relationship. They owned a house together, lived in it like a regular couple, did things together, I think they had joint finances, etc. All the things a couple does. It's just that they had sex with other people. Everything else about the relationship was the same as other relationships.

I never talked to them about why they did it or how it worked out. I didn't know them well enough to ask. But by outside appearances they seemed like a regular couple.

I also used to work with a woman in an open marriage. I knew even less about her, but she acted totally single, flirted like crazy, but she was married. I would have never guessed if someone didn't tell me she was married.

Different things work for different people. It doesn't have to be some mold. If it works it works.

• I have. When you really, deep down inside, and with complete honesty do not respect the person you are with you will find it OK for your mate to fuck, suck and bang the shit out of some other person.

Believe me, this is not a relationship to be in or anything that resembles a human life. Nothing good comes from it.

• It is when you are free to have sex with other people outside the relationship with the consent of your partner.

Maybe one partner can't meet the other's sexual needs, maybe one or both of you just like lots of sex with lots of partners. Irregardless, it is a mutual decision.

Each one is different. You need to set ground rules for how it'll work. Some people don't want to know any details, some want to know when you're going out to have sex. Some want to know who, some don't. Many insist that protection be used outside the relationship.

• 18d

Interesting.. i was seeing a guy who was in one, and the chick flipped out when she found out I was sending him dirty things.. they now broke up. I was just curious as to what the satisfaction is and why do one if you're just gonna sleep around

• 18d

You still go home to the person you love every night... but you get the benefits/enjoyment/variety of having sex with other people. If you are able to separate sex from emotions then it can work.

• 18d

Obviously it didn't work out haha. He's back with me.. just seems odd

• I wouldn't want to be in one.
    An open relationship is one where you can have sex with other guys or girls as long as no love is involved.
    So you can have "sex for fun" with everyone. But you can only love your guy or girl.

• It's an excuse for the guy to bang girls on the side, so he convinces his main girl who pays half his bills to be in an open. Nope. I believe love is possessory.

• It's stupid. A relationship is meant to build a connection where people can grow from one another. If you are sleeping around, I don't consider that a relationship in the real sense. That's calling being a hoe. If the person isn't satisfying you physically/emotionally , find someone who can.

• It's not a relationship in my opinion
    It's like a guy and a girl are couples and can fuck anyone else too
    Seriously 😶?
    What's the point?
    You better be single and fuck others and all :P

• 18d

I was messing around with a guy that was in one, but i didn't know. She found out we were flirting and she made him tell me he had a girlfriend.. they soon after broke up. I'm trying to wrap my mind around why someone would want that

• 18d

Maybe :P

• 18d

Who knows... lol.

• An open relationship is pretty much a relationship where you're free to do what you want with other people but you're still dating that person, and I'd never be in an open relationship because I'm to loyal to one person.

• An open relationship is when both partners in a relationship are free to have sexual affairs with people outside their relationship. They do it because they are either unsatisfied sexually, bored, or they want to explore their sexuality with other people.
    I haven't been in one.

• I see no difference between people in an open relationship, and people who are FWBs

• Where you fuck whoever you want.

• An open relationship is not a relationship, the concept itself is ridiculous.

• To put it simply, their normalization &/or acceptance would be evidence of rampant degeneracy.

• An open relationship is a relationship that in a sense lets you be with other people while still being with that one person simotaneously. Its a very common form of polygamy, and by no means is it a bad thing. Open relationships are nice if you want to date someone but you know it might not work out so you want to make it last but be able to find other options at the same time, but there are many reasons for open relationships.

• where you have your boyfriend/girlfriend/SO and you can still have sex and fool around with other people without them getting upset.

• It means "i have fuckbuddy"

• I haven't yet, but they sound like fun!

• its what women like because women are hoes and like to get an assortment of cock

• 18d

you are absoultely right its what most women like because they are hoes. Bitches always blaming men for not being loyal but they are the ones which are the decievers

• 18d

@abayeabe theyre fake, deceptive, materialistic, superficial.. women are the definition of evil

• 18d

of course you are absolutely right my friend they are opportunist bitches and they make you love them then after you started loving them they come and tell you they dont love you anymore or even worst they, ve never loved you. i have suuffered like that recently. one thing any guy out there should know that most of the time its from the so called good virgin innocent so called elegant girls/women it hapoens most of the time not from the so called bitches as people and guys think at least bitches are honedt tgey dont decieve you im not defending bitches im just speaking the truth.

What Girls Said 6

• For me, an open relationship is with a gender of my choosing (I enjoy femboys) where we get to explore our sexuality together (share tips/tricks or try new things together-no shame), help each other grow emotionally, but mutually agree that we're not in-love with each other. Just a mutual understanding that we are convenient for our young age where we're not looking for anything serious yet.

We openly flirt, date other people for different needs (dating to get fed, dating to get spoiled, dating to travel, or dating someone you might be into, etc) and depending on the person you're in a relationship... the sex is an open or closed thing.

Ex: some people don't want to share you. Some people do.

• I would never be in an open relationship. I'm too insecure for that shit and monogamy is commitment, I think every relationship requires commitment

• An open relationship is really not a relationship for me. You're in a relationship while you can do stuff with other guys/girls? That's crazy. I don't even know why this is a thing.

• Because you can't have a 3 way with 2 people, etc

• An open relationship is when you are dating someone but you see other people (and sometimes do the nasty) because some people aren't getting enough satisfaction from the one they are with. I personally have never been in one...

• 50 shades of fucked up.