Does it matter if your boyfriend is four years older than you?

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends (Please leave a comment leaving what it depends on)

Most Helpful Girl

• Age matters if you're young.
    A 18 year old dating an 14 year old is a definite no no moralistically (and it's illegal!). A 60 year old married to a 64 year old? Sure, they're close enough in number so it doesn't matter.
    As long as you're above the legal age to date and have sexual affiliations with, it should be fine. It's just stranger the younger you are.

What Guys Said 24

• Hey, the truth is, if you are 18 and he is 22, that is a whole generation different. He's likely already been living away from his parents, graduated uni or almost, and you probably still live at home.. or just moved out...

Most people your age are dating older guys so they'll tell you it's no problem... but it IS a problem, even if they don't know that.

• 13d

Exactly.
      A lot of people think it's no problem, but at 18 four years is a lot. I think it's acceptable though if you're older though.

• Four years is not a big age gap.

• in my opinion it doesn't just make sure your relationship is legal!

• It's all about preference. I recently read an article about preferences for SO's age. The results were following.

static1.1.sqspcdn.com/.../kenrick_keefe1.jpg

There's a rule of thumb that if you divide your age by 2 and add 7 you get the lowest you'd date (so if your boyfriend did that it would give us 22/2+7=18). Doesn't really work if you're younger than 14 tho. Here's a comparison picture how well it matches with the preferences

static1.1.sqspcdn.com/.../kenrick_keefe2.jpg

• Only if you're 10.

• Women have been dating/mating men twice their age for hundreds of years. I think you're fine.

• Only if you're underage and he isn't.

• Age shouldn't matter much, so long as you love the person wholeheartedly.

• I never cared how many laps around the sun she is ahead of me or behind me by. As long as she doesn't look like a prune or is legal in the state we happen to be in good enough. I'be been with anywhere from 16 to 42 (and I was both far older and far younger) and never gave it much thought.

• No, 4 years is good age difference. My first ex girlfriend was age 21 and i was age 28 and my second ex girlfriend was age 18 and i was age 35 at the time.

• Since you're 18? Not at all. As long as you're both fine with it.

• nope, at your age it doesn't

• No. Physical age gap is ok. Mental gap is more of a problem.

• At your age it's no big deal.

• Age is a number ! My cousin in Paris married a man 16 years older, my friend in Vietnam married a girl that is 15 years younger it's all what you and the other person feels !

• 4 years is the ideal age difference...

• Absolutely note

• no way, 4 is nothing surely.

• Nah.

• not if you are above 20

• 15d

In several states there is no Age Gap Provision as long as she's 16 (he could be 120 and still wouldn't matter). If she's in Saudi Arabia age isn't even a consideration at all, it's a family matter. Similar in parts of Mexico where 12 is old enough for consent and local police will tell them top solve it amongst themselves.

• And why should it matter?

• I wouldn't say that is a very big age diff to be honest , I have seen much larger over the years

• As long as you are 18, he can be 20 years older than you and it is fine. Just make sure he is in good enough physical condition to still do stuff and enjoy life.

• Absolutely nothing wrong with that, unless one is underage and the other is. If one is 14 and the other 18... WRONG! If one is 30 and the other is 34, COOL.

What Girls Said 20

• It depends on how old you are at the time. At 15, four years would be way too big an age difference. But at 18, it's a little more reasonable. There may still be a significant difference in maturity levels, however.

• If it's your actual age 18 - 22 is very different. There is a lot of experience crammed into those four years around work, moving out of home, debt and finances.
    It can work but it can also be very difficult

• Not at all. What matters is that both of you love each other, understand each other, care for each other, are respectful of each other and are happy with each other.

• It is not a lot and I like older men.

• age is just a number, but to a point. i've dated guys 8 and 14 years older, even though my personal preference is within 5 years of my own age.

• Mine is 4 years younger. But I definitely wouldn't mind 4 years old either. That's like perfect to me.

• If you're 16 and your boyfriends 20 then it does matter because he can get in trouble. If you're 22 and your boyfriends 26 it's not a big deal.

• not at all!! i know a couple with like 10 years difference and theyre happily married

• No, it doesn't matter.

• 15d

So let's say I was 15 and this guy is 18 then it would be a problem?

• 15d

Tell that to other 15 year olds who are dating 18 year olds. If it doesn't matter for them, then why must it matter for me... lol 😆

• Nope

• For me, no. But I'm 20. If the girl is like 11 then of course it would matter lol

• If both people are past high school age then it's fine in my opinion.

• For me my boyfriend is 25 and I am 20

• I'd actually prefer that, rather than him being my age

• It doesn't matter because it's a small age gap.

• no thats like perfect

• If he treats you well age doesn't matter

• My boyfriend is actually four years older than me and I don't have problem with that.

• It matters.

• Unless you are under the age of 18, it's not wrong or bad at all. When you're in your 20's and 30's nobody really cares about he age gap unless it's visibly noticeable in a drastic way.