When is it a date and when is it hanging out as friends?

Basically the title, how do we know if we are being asked out on a date or if we are just hanging out as friends. Especially if the guy doesn't say it is a date nor that it's just as friends.

What Guys Said 3

• When your taken out to places you don't belong such as 4 star restaurants, given flowers or note or a card afterwards or a kiss. That's when you know it's a date. Hanging out is brainless fun.

• 17d

What about to the movies and none of that stuff after?

• 17d

Your welcome.

• 15d

As nice as this sounds, I've never been on a date like any of these. And I've been on lots of dates! So I can see why OP is confused!!

• Don't focus on location, watch how is he acting towards you, his body language, his question, are they sexual a bit? Is he loving and caring? Or is he asking everyday questions?

• That's simple, if the guy or girl doesn't say it is a date, it isn't a date. otherwise it is a date.

What Girls Said 11

• That's tricky. I've been on many dates where we just go for coffee, or a walk or to the movies or out to dinner, but not at a really fancy restaurant. Now a days I find dates are really low key. So tip to daters, if you want to impress your date, put that extra bit of effort in and take them somewhere nice or do something special!

Doesn't have to be expensive. A single flower, or a note after or even just a surprise. It will make them feel special!

I think if you are unsure, I would just ask. No harm done. Because now a days it's tough to tell with dates being so casual.

• If you don't know, you need to ask.

• It's always a date
    but you're not always The One, the front runner, the girlfriend

• if you want it to be a date tell him its a date. its not his choice if you go on a date its yours. its his choice if he goes on a date.

• If he pays that's a pretty strong sign!
    Basically if he makes the effort to want to go somewhere WITH you, that's probably a date. If you just go to each others houses or something, that's not a date. There's got to be some effort there on his part to actually show you that he is interested. If a guy's into you, he'll make that pretty obvious.

• 16d

That's basically me when I take out a girl

• 16d

it takes effort for me to hang out with people at all, i value my time... and im a private person, if i invite someone over, i LIKE them,. i think it depends on the person not the things.

• 16d

Yeah I value my time as well. Wouldn't want to waist it. People make time for who they want, remember that. Yeah that's valid

• the only difference is... date involves a bit of romance.

• I want to say when it's just the two of you but me and my guy friends does that and it's not a date.

• on the hand,
    just hanging out can sometimes turn into something more than a 'date' .

• If you two go out somewhere alone and he pays if you eat (When he pays it shows that he is interested and is trying to impress you and make you happy. Acknowledged and appreciate the gesture.). For example, if you go out to eat and then a walk in a park. Movies on a first date isn't the best idea because the point of a date is to get to know someone and when your watching a movie that can be difficult. Also, you'll notice that if it is "just as friends" he would't try to be physically intimate or try teasing or flirting with you.

• How much effort he puts in

• If you two been flirty or express your feelings to each other.. then I would consider it as a date.
    I don't really pay much attention to it.
    If it's like casual dinner out or whatever light, I consider it as a hang out.
    If he takes me out to a nice restaurant or any touchy things (that normal friends wouldn't do) happen, I consider that as a date.