Would you date someone with a mental disorder?

Ex. psychosis, eating disorder, depression, anxiety, ocd, etc.

• Yes
    46% (11)45% (10)46% (21)Vote
  • No
    25% (6)32% (7)28% (13)Vote
  • Only if it wasn't serious
    29% (7)23% (5)26% (12)Vote
  • I am already dating someone with a mental health concern
    0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
6|10

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes i would and i would try and help them out whenever they need my help. I have anxiety and rarely I'll get panic attacks.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. I hope other people say yes too because I have suffered from three out of the five things you listed. That's a dumb reason not to date someone. Sometimes (most of the time) it's not their fault if they have a mental disorder and people should want to love them and want to help them because it really sucks. Having a mental disorder can make you feel really alone and make you do things you regret so never not date or be friends with someone just because they have a mental disorder.

1|0
    0|0
    • 18d

Severe mental disorders would be the only ones that would keep me away. Like addicts that won't even try to help themselves, ones that can result in violent outbursts harming themselves or others.

What Guys Said 9

• i dated a girl with bipolar and i dated a girl who had been anorexic in the past but wasn't at the time we dated

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah iwould

1|0
    0|0
  • Hell no. I've had my fill of women with great looks but have long since lost their minds (1 junkie, 1 achy, 1 with multiple issues, and a few other's all now dead due to their issues). These days if they are not both hot and have all their marbles I run like hell and forget I even met them less than a week later.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I wouldn't date someone regardless of whether or not they have a mental disorder because I'm asexual/aromantic.

0|1
    1|0
  • I'm not dating anybody right now because of me having a mild anxiety disorder in front of exams.

I want to fix it before dating someone. Simply everything will be smoother that way.

0|0
    0|0
  • C. It really depends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, I have depression, so yeah. I think they'd understand me better than anyone else.

0|0
    0|0
  • Have you ever met someone without a mental disorder?

0|1
    0|0
  • God no. I learned from my oldee brother that they are bad for long term relationships and too much hard work. Think of lying with a heavy stone on your chest for years.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Mmmm, to an extent I think everyone has some type of mental illness. Everyone has mental flaws & everyone has to adjust to the weaknesses of their partner. But, (and I'm sorry if this sounds shallow) I do not think I could marry someone with severe depression. I think you should always think about your own health, and being with someone who is unhealthy will not be good for you. I'd be their friend and help them out and just be a support. I'd wait until they are healthy before dating them. Mental health is important, including your own.

0|0
    0|0
  • It would depend. I'm diagnosed with GAD so I need someone that's stable because I need to concentrate on my own mental health. If being with someone else is going to make me more ill (like if they can't manage their mental illness), then I can't be with them, I need to keep myself safe. My boyfriend had an eating disorder when we first got together and we were able to get through that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would date someone with a mental illness just the same as someone with a physical illness

1|0
    0|0
  • Not a chance.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am, my boyfriend has depression and arachnophobia

1|0
    0|0