Mother-like girlfriends?!

Guys I was once told that guys like girlfriends who are kind of like the guys' mothers is that true?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think there is definitely some truth to this. I remember reading that we look for partners with similar traits to our gender-opposite parent; It is probably something to do with subconsciously seeing those traits as good parenting and wanting offspring to be raised and/or cared for by someone with those traits. It may also be that, inter-personally, we are more used to working with and being around a particular personality, so when we find people who have that same personality we naturally get along with them and possibly even feel a sense of understanding with them.

What Guys Said 2

• Ugh! No! My mother is a foul wench and I'd be happy to never see that personality again in another human being.

• My mum is a really nice person, and I've always look for girls like that.. so it might be true - personality wise.

What Girls Said 3

• I've noticed that they do like a lot of motherly or care-taker traits. Especially if the guy is very close with his mother. A lot of guys like a girl who can cook, is tidy/keeps things clean, is nurturing/supportive, etc.

Although, the other aspects of being mom-like such as nagging, scolding, and being overly protective probably aren't traits any man wants in his girlfriend.

• well, maybe in some subconscious way, yes.

my son for instance is 15 and is having this phase now where he feels kinda attracted to me. it will go away as he grows older and makes more experiences, but maybe when he's older, his subconsciousness tells him he wants a girl that has some similarities to me...

weird thought for me, but also sweet in some way.

• The same thing goes for girls and their dads...but I have to say: I would never want to date someone like my dad!