Should I get my boyfriends mom and sister a Christmas gift this year?

I've only met my boyfriends mom maybe two or three times and sister maybe a handfull of times but each time we never even hung out it was mostly just a hi and bye kinda thing. I feel obligated to get them something this year for Christmas because last year I didn't get them anything since we had just started dating and my boyfriend told me not to because his family doesn't really do family. His mom and dad are seperated and mom has a girlfriend now so they all don't really get along with mom but are civil enough just not family oriented. He has a brother also I've never even met yet. This year because it will be our second Christmas together and because I have met mom and have had several run ins with sister I feel its something I should do bc they both really like me and I want to keep it that way. My boyfriend would say I don't need to and don't spend money you don't have and they won't even care and you don't even see them often or even on Christmas. I dont know what they like or anything and when I ask my bpyfriend he tells me not to worry about it so I know very little about them. I just feel being our second Christmas together and seeing as I have been around the sister and seen mom in passing I should. So should I get them something and if so what?

What Guys Said 3

• I think a gift would be unnecessary. How about bringing some wine or something to eat if you want to give them something.

• That would be nice of you

• That would be nice
    Hope he does the same

What Girls Said 15

• You can if you really want to, I don't think you have to though. In my opinion, no one is obligated to buy their partner's family Christmas gifts. I feel that is something that is more expected after the couple is married (they can then buy their families gifts together).

If you do still want to get them something though, I would say just get something small you think they would like. It would help if you knew what their interests are. Maybe ask your boyfriend for suggestions and if he says you don't have to buy anything for them, just tell him that you really want to and would like his input for what to get.

• I think bringing some home baked treats or alcohol as a gift would be perfect. Nothing personal since they don't seem like a very warm family. And nothing that mashed it seem like you are trying super hard to win their favour or anything.

Most importantly, don't wrack your brain trying to find the perfect gift. I'm sure they'll like whatever you give them :)

• Yeah, that's probably a nice idea. The first Christmas after I met my boyfriend's mother, I bought her a bath set, I think, and I already knew his brother and had been buying him gifts. It doesn't need to be anything big or fancy, just something small to show that you actually remembered them would be nice :P

• When going to any home dinner it's customary to bring something like wine. This is the sort of universal gift that could also serve as a present. Suggestions would include something you are into (making something or collecting or enthusiastic about) until you know what they like... the later is best, however novice they may consider the effort as experts, e. g. Mom loves stuffed elephants.

• I definitely would, if you've met them a few times. It doesn't have to be big - if you cook then maybe bake them some cookies or truffles in a nice box or something small for their home? My go-to for those women I don't know all that well is a nice throw rug with a bottle of wine for a night in

• Something thoughtful and sweet is a really nice idea. It's not about money.

A bottle of wine. Or a lovely desert for the day. A mani pedi for them to go together and get. Flowers for the table. Yummy chocolates.

Women are so easy to buy for my listcould go on and on...

• If u want to yes. That will make them feel u are part of the family and is a good gesture

• Bring a cake or something for the party. I'm part of the family but not trying too hard gift.

• I don't know maybe suggest secret santa if they don't do that, you could probably find what sort crazy things to do together as family, Family Events would help, Ice skating or going to Christmas lighting event together, or singing Christmas songs together, I forgot making cookies together?

• If you want - Give them gifts. It will be polite.

• yess. if u want their family to have an good empression on you. maybe u should give thema gift. Do it secretly without letting your boyfriend know. so that he'll know how much u love him and how u rlly want to be a part of their family. if u want

• 0|0
  • That's a lovely idea. I recommend it. But don't get them anything too big. Maybe like wine or candles or something cute and small.

• Very small token gift like bath stuff, wine etc

• I would... candle or chocolate or holiday cookies... doesn't have to be anything deep or expensive. A gift card to a coffee place or a nice bag of coffee if that's what they are into. Just a small token gift.