When do you make exceptions in dating?

Everyone has their preferences in personality, beliefs and values, body type, and style. When do you make exceptions? What are you willing to make an exception for?

What Girls Said 8

• if i like the person enough, i will usually make exceptions.

before you can do that, though, you need to have an understanding of yourself and what you want in relationships. for example:

things i want in a relationship: a fellow creative person, an intellectual equal i can share my passions and big ideas with; has egalitarian notions of marriage and relationships.

things i'm willing to compromise on (exceptions): if he smokes, has kids, or speaks a (first) language is different from mine.

deal-breakers: history of violence or infidelity, drug use, fundamental religious or political beliefs, treats service people poorly.

but i speak only for myself; everyone has their own list.

• I would make an exception for my crush. I dont date ANYONE younger than me. I even had trouble liking a guy less than a year younger than me. Right now I have a crush on a grade 9 and I am in grade 12. Two and a half year difference. I liked him before and wanted to date him but I held myself back. But then he sang for me and I fell in love. His voice is so beautiful and he doesn't think he is that good bit honestly, he sounds similar to Shawn mended (but better honestly, no ever exaggeration.)
    Since I am a singer songwriter and perform all the time, I've always wanted a partner like that. I haven't even met a guy so talented vocally. Then he wrote a dog for me because I inspired him to start writing music. He is actually everything I want in a guy.

He is the only exception

• My parents are traditional Hispanic. I'm first generation to be born outside of my home country. So my parents don't exatlcy like the idea of me dating someone outside my nationality. Not because they are raicist is because they won't be able to conect and talk to my boyfriend because of cultural and language barrier.
    So for me that would be my only exception since people are just people. The labels and barriers and borders humans made it themselves.

• 12d

In my experience growing up, I have met a lot of racist latinos tbh

• 11d

Wrong. Light-skinned Native Americans discriminated against darker Native Americans before Europeans arrived. The idea that colonization was the beginning point of racism is a myth perpetuated by the slightly-educated and those with a personal agenda.

• 11d

@zagor -.- well I know my country history. The Natives accepted the conquistadors into our land because they though they were a God.

• 1. If a guy is virtuous, I will tolerate him being poor
    2. If a guy is smart, I will tolerate him being ugly
    3. If a guy is rich, I will tolerate him being fat
    4. If a guy is good with children, I will tolerate him being short
    5. If a guy is hard working, I will tolerate him being stupid
    6. If a guy is loyal, I will tolerate him being boring
    7. If a guy is fashionable and charming, I will tolerate him being weak

• If he's romantic, I'm willing to share my fries with him ❤️🍟

• when I see that that person has better ideas which I agree with

• If he speaks only Spanish. I am fluent in English and Spanish so thats fine with me

• Never will I make exceptions. By keeping them they filter the world's population down from 7 billion to a few million, I only want one person so it seems logical to keep them.

• 12d

its usually a combination of flaws that we end up finding attractive. girls are annoying little shits, but we end up growing to like their annoying behaviors. alone most of them are still annoying, but certain combos of them are adorable to me.

What Guys Said 14

• If a girl came up to me and asked me out I would likely make quite a few exceptions because of the state of my dating game. lol. The only absolute deal breakers for me are: Smoking, Fat, Super Religious, man-hater (duh), or mentally handicapped. And all of these probably wouldn't be a problem to me if I didn't have poor experiences with them in the past. When it came to who i've had crushes on I have already made exceptions for girls with bad acne, were a little on the chubby side, came from abusive homes, slept around a lot, and being kinda bitchy.

• I would never date:
    -fat girls
    -churchy girls
    -feminists
    -chain smokers
    -social justice warrior girls

• I'm a guy so I don't really have a long list of DEMANDS and requirements. So therefore I don't have anything to make exceptions. This question refers to women who do have a billion pointless preferences that have nothing to do with having a quality partner.

Everything that I do prefer is solid like religion. I'm not going to date a Mormon or satanist and I'm not going to date someone who lives by the rules of Justin Bieber and Kim kardashian.

• Feelings are irrational, and preferences aren't. I don't go with the feelings, but i guess i'd be open in exploring that area if i find myself in a situation when i find myself drawn to a woman that doesn't fit my "dating profile".

• I'll make exception for single mother if everything else is alright.

• If she is everything I am looking for personality wise, I will make exceptions.

• I'm willing to make exceptions if her boobs are really nice and big.

• No single mothers!

• I probably won't unless I really like the person. I have a ball of a time on my computer. I am pretty comfortable by myself.

• No choice

• When she grabs me by the junk I make lots of exceptions

• values are non negotiable

• nothing, i have my standards

• When I realise most girls don't want a boy shorter than them even though I vastly prefer them taller than me.