I am a virgin and I want to ask my boyfriend to get tested?

He has been with other girls before and before I do anything sexual with him I want to ask him to get tested but I don't know how to bring it up or say it. We have been together for 3 months now and I want to bring this up so I am being safe and responsible. Will he get offended or will he be understanding about this?

What Guys Said 20

• If he does than that is his problem.
    You are doing the right thing, be prepared to also ask to be tested.

• He's probably gonna get a little bit offended. Haha. But. Better safe then sorry.

I don't know. Just try and start a topic about you how read an article abpit some girl with like 7 different stD's or something, and somehow divert it into asking him to get tested. Haha.

• If my girlfriend asked that I get tested... I would be proud of her and get tested!
    If she didn't ask me... I would still get tested but be a bit disappointed in her for not asking.

This is how you ask: Hey babe, before we go any further with stuff, I would feel more comfortable if you could get tested. If you'd like I could get tested as well.
    if he questioned why just stick to "I know, but I'd just feel much much better and can actually enjoy what we're doing. It gives me a piece of mind."

if he isn't willing to get tested you really need to think about your relationship.

• If he's offended than maybe he ain't the right guy for you. Everyone sexually active should get tested for their own health. He should understand.

• If he wants sex, he won't be offended. Getting tested is not a big deal.

• You just need to be straight forward and tell him. If he actually cares for you, then he should want to protect you.

• I wouldn't get offended if my girl asks this. I would be happy instead to have a smart and careful girl near me and not some stupid girl who opens the legs for anyone lol without thinking about the consequences. Just tell him in a friendly manner, say that you really trust him but that the test will make you feel even more relaxed and stress free.

• That's the right thing to do. Another better thing to do would have been to date someone with the same sexual history as you or a less convoluted sexual history. You don't want to give some manwhores the impression that they can sleep with as many girls as they want while they are young and then later settle for a good virgin girl who has kept herself for so long as you have.

• say it directly

• make sure you see the results and dont take his word for it. Also, you still need to make sure that there is some form of birth control if you dont plan on using condoms.

• he should be happy ;) its fun time!!! and say baby... i want u to get tested because were going to start up the party! now hurry up!

• I'd be understanding. It's a simple urine and blood test. No biggie and he'd feel better about himself knowing he's definitely clean.

• So just ask him. Express your concerns and tell him. He will understand.

• He should not have a problem with that

• Naw, just ask.

• I think moments

• I mean it's not a bad idea to be safe, as to how he reacts it's hard to say depends on how his personality is

• Just tell him straight up and honestly about how you would be concerned and that you do not want to take any chances, as sometimes even condoms and contraceptives just aren't enough protection. Tell him you rather be safe than sorry, and that you hope he would understand you and respect you for that.

• Better safe than sorry, right?

• Are you planning to use condoms, or no?

What Girls Said 7

• Just tell him! Remember that this is about SAFETY! If he gets offended, then there is a chance he has something and he isn't for you! You ask him. And you explain your stance. Don't be afraid to speak up. Because if you don't he will take advantage of you. And if you can't deal with the responsibility then you wait to have sex. Preferably in marriage, but it's your choice. It is a risk regardless to whether or not he is STD free. Because regardless, if that relationship ends and you gave away your virginity, you're done. It's over, and you can't get it back, and you will have to deal with the hard bed you made. This is the make or break, so you better ask him and not delay. Or else you've wasted 3 months with somebody who is stringing you along for sex.

• Just be like "yo. I want you to get tested before we have sex."

If he's not willing and understanding just dump him.

• It's your right yo ask him. It's y'all bodies meeging and you don't wanna regret anything later on. Don't have sex with him if he doesn't want to get tested, it's only a request. He ahould not get offended, if so maybe he's hiding something, you're rather safe than sorry. If it comes back negative, RAW DAWG away mate lol I'm all for it.

• It's a perfectly reasonable request. When I was single / dating I got tested between every partner for the common ones, and annually for the ones requiring blood tests. It's simply being responsible.

Also, use condoms :)
    And birth control.

• He should be understanding, you are just trying to be safe.

• You have every right to know. Do not be afraid to ask

• Very smart of you. Any mistakes with this could leave you with lifelong diseases, or leave you infertile. Look at that HPV vaccine they do on girls these days, it's for one thing you can get through sex and increases your likelihood of getting cervical cancer. There's just so many things. Never take the chance. Your lifelong health and wellbeing over a few moments of awkwardness any day.