We went on a break, and he got pissed when I told him I was seeing someone. Why?

We were together 4 months, until he started going through a bad phase of depression and he changed his medication up. I tried to support him but it was dragging me down, and we agreed to take a break for a while but still continue as friends (there was no timeframe, so we basically split) He's also being idiotic and has been drinking heavily too (he never drinks usually) despite being on new meds. I've told him this. Anyway, we've not seen each other for nearly 2 months but still talk. Last week I discovered from a friend he'd been supposedly seeing this girl (for how long, I have no idea) but I haven't called him out on it. He joked that the new meds he was on were like Viagra, which was a bit of a cheap shot at me because we stopped having sex in the last month because of his depression. So he checked in with me on Monday to ask if I was free one evening to go for a drink and I said yes. We met up and l I told him I was seeing someone. He seemed fine about it until I got home and he sent me a long text saying that I'd betrayed him. Wth? Does he still have feelings for me? I think he's being extremely selfish.

10d I would also like to add, he's changed his Tinder profile and he's back on there. Thats how we met.

What Guys Said 6

• He's mad because you guys agreed to take a break, witch means to spend time apart with plans to get back together, you were waiting for each other, in this case until he got his new med's situation sorted out.

So form his perspective you cheated on him.

• 10d

Yes, he's new meds but they haven't made him any better. In fact they've made him worse... I should have explained this part in my question tbh :/ He's also back on Tinder, so I'd say he's just being a dick tbh.

• 10d

well i think seeing someone while on a break was a dick move, you guys should have been more clear, or you could have let him know your moving on.

That being said... This guy sounds like a total waste of time! I mean his depression issues alone are kind of a big deal and you gave him a very fair chance, he's playing stupid ass games, not communicating and blaming you for everything when it's obviously a two way street, besides assigning blame never does any good in this kind of situation.

At the risk of judging him to harshly, I think you could easily do much better.

• Because he's not consistent. If you want a break, what do you expect?

• it's simple. The term break implies intent that the separation is temporary, otherwise it wouldn't be called a break. seeing someone else goes against that implication. for this reason I always tell people to either break up or don't, "breaks" are pointlessly ambiguous.

• because u didn't break up yet

• 10d

well he seems to have moved on. He's back on Tinder. He's got no right to say I've betrayed him, he can't have me all to himself.

• Taking a break =/= break up.

Taking a break is meant for sorting things out in life while still being faithful. It does not justify cheating.

From his perspective, you cheated on him.

• You did nothing wrong. He sounds a little screwed up your friend

What Girls Said 2

• He is a hypocrite, he doesn't want you seeing anyone because he wants you on a tether, so in the future if nothing works for him he can have you. Do not put up w/his BS and date other guys.

• I don't think your friendship can work if you have feelings of resentment towards each other. He wants to have you exclusively, yet he creates a tinder profile to chat with other chicks? He is a hypocrite and he's not worth it.