I hear that people in the military cheat on their significant others all the time, is this true?

so my girlfriend is going in the military next year, I hear that the military can be very lonely and often people cheat on their significant others. Is this true? If so why and how can you prevent it?

What Girls Said 14

• Being a military spouse, partner, girlfriend or boyfriend can be really tough. I dated a guy in the military in the past. We were together for 2 years. I was lucky that he didn't have to go over seas. But he still got sent away for training and other things at times. One time he had to go away for training for 4 months. We talked on Skype and MSN and did what we could to stay connected. It didn't seem to hurt the relationship.

I remember when I was dating him, he would come home and tell me things about what his friends were going through. Some of them had been cheated on or were cheating. It's hard to be away from someone for so long and not get to see them.

I'm not saying cheating is justifiable. But it's fairly common. Military life is tough, it's not for everyone. Some people just can't deal with being away from their partner for so long.

• People in the Military have a notorious reputation for cheating , but I'm not sure what the perecentage is

To be honest, if a person is gonna cheat they'll cheat whether they're in the Military or not, because people only cheat when they've got no self-control over their desires and emotions. They lack willpower.

A genuinely trustworthy person wouldn't allow opportunity to control their loyalty , so they'd never cheat if presented with circumstances which would give them a chance to cheat

So whether your girlfriend will cheat or not is determined by her true character, not the opportunity that comes her way or her career

• I know for a fact navy wives cheat while their husbands are at sea. I lived in Jacksonville, FL near the Mayport Navy Base for a few years and while I'd be out at the bars trying to sell pussy the navy wives were giving it away free.

• a lot of civillian s/o cheat while their s/o is away on deployment too

• Yeah, but even as civilians they would cheat. Being in the military just gives cheaters access to more people. There are plenty of faithful women and men in the military.

• it does happen but when 2 people are loyal to each other then you should have no worries but talk to then and tell them your concerns

• A lot of them do. Especially when they do temporary deployment. For women, more so I think because there's all these young single men around.

On the other hand, a lot of military couples are fiercely loyal too. Just show the love, keep the lines of communication open, and hope for the best.

• You prevent it by dating someone who won't cheat on you.

• If someone is going to cheat, it's going to happen whether they're in the military or not. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but cheating is a big no no in the military. I think it's only if you're married though.

• yeah some

• ofcourse there are high statistics that that's what they do (70% divorce rate) and it's understandable because one is deployed while the other is just sitting around. With that said, not all are like that. There's the 30% that actually don't cheat

• How can you prevent it? Just make a real relationship with her. Thats enough! I dont believe that everyone in the military cheats...

• Not sure, I never been in the military

• Won't lie, I'd probably cheat if my husband were in the military. I just couldn't be in a relationship where I never got to see the person

What Guys Said 12

• i want to break ur neck right now...

ok i will lay this out for u, since this is very clearly far beyond u since u are asking.
    people in the military "cheat" because they are on opposite sides of the world for VERY long periods of time. 4-12 months of a year. some times back to back. getting married right before going in is also a no no because they change from bassic and again in trianning. i would hold off on the marriage till after then.

so anyway, the issue is that, most military are in good shape and marry other attractive people. aka normally sexual people. this also means that they are atracting others to them, and they have needs themselves. being away so long from ur loved one is hard. normally u send pictures or videos and u talk all the time. but it only tkaes something stupid like a bad storm back home where she is very scared and has to be comforted cause poor thing is scared to death... understandable, or she is acting like a total bitch for some reason when u are in a sweet country... time to explore ;). shit happens.

but ur all the time comment is not true. and u will find out how hard it is to be away from somone for 4-12 months soon enough. especially if u have a decent sex drive. its hard enough to hold on... it only takes one stupid event to be like fuck this bull shit

• A lot of them do. And many support each other in doing it. If she is faithful, she won't. Nothing you can do to affect it other than showing her enough love that she would never hurt you.

• I doubt it's as rampant as you might be imagining but it's definitely not uncommon. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it. You either trust her or you don't, and if you don't, your relationship won't last.

• LOL from what I've heard it's the reverse actually.
    terminallance.com/.../...rip_213_John_Dear_web.gif

• It's more of the opposite. When I was in the Marine Corps their girlfriends and wives are usually the ones to cheat. Not saying it doesn't happen at all though. I know prostitiutes are huge in Okinawa.

• Usually it's the one staying home who does the cheating.

• yeah

• Its about the person. Not the occupation. Of course when being lonely for a long time and there are great temptation, risk increases. Good communication can greatly help.

• It could if the relationship is boring. It's mostly guys so it could happen depending on the branch. I'm part time army and most of the women have men as friends.

• people on vacations too

• Its true. When I was over seas in Iraq I noticed that women would often cheat especially half way through deployments.

• 15d

Basically there a lot of young physically fit attractive men and very few women so they can pickand choose their men. Like if a girl was a 5 tops back home she's a 7 while on deployment.

• Bro I was enlisted, overseas the whole time. You may as well kiss your girl goodbye. she's going to be partying her ass off, traveling all over, making good money and constantly living and working with over confident jacked dudes in their sexual prime. you're not gonna survive her first deployment. Cheating is an ingrained part of military culture. Of all the married couples i knew... Might be like 2 still together mostly because of cheating. The life can be very tough bro in ways you can't understand, its very taxing on your mental state and you aren't thinking like yourself.