How should I feel when my boyfriend curses at me?

Hello , so I've been dating this guy for 9 months now and he's always been pretty respectful and a sweetheart. But today we were talking and due to some miscommunication he thought I was saying some disrespectful things about his family. My comments were not about his family AT ALL. But before I can say any thing else , he started cussing at me. I. e. "What the fuck is wrong with you & dont u dare say anything like that about my family" blah blah. I explained to him that I wasn't talking about his family and all he said was "oh" . My feeling got hurt and I want a apology for the unnecessary blow up but he doesn't see why it's that big of a deal. Am I right to feel disrespected & upset over it or should I just over it? He's never yelled or cursed at me like that before.

What Guys Said 11

• Well nobody is perfect. Obviously it would be better to remain calm, but it sounds like he has some deeper issues when it comes to his family if he reacted like that.

I think you may be being a bit overly sensitive about this, but if he hurt your feelings, it shouldn't be that big of a deal for him to apologize. Either way, I don't think this sounds like a situation that's worth ruining a perfectly good relationship over.

• Stop being so emotional and ranting here on GaG. Every couple has fights at some point, you guys even managed to stay without one for 9 months, means he's a good guy. If I had any reason to think someone said rubbish about my family, they would have something coming to them. I would imagine anybody would do the same.

Your words clearly weren't aimed towards his family, this is a clear case of miscommunication. If you really want an apology, how about you sit down and talk to your boyfriend and settle things with him. I don't understand why women believe men should be able to read minds, ranting here on GaG won't solve anything. Go talk to him.

• Well there must have been something that triggered some bad memories for him or something that hit some sort of "sore spot". I would calmly bring it up to him when you feel the time is right. Maybe see what it was that bothered him so much. I'm not sure he will apologize as he might not be thinking along those lines.

• ummmmm... ya red flag alert captin...

why the fuck do u just randomly start yelling at ur girlfriend... even if she starts talking shit about something, thats not reason to go nutso on her. thats the chicks duty to go nutso for no reason. 9 months is a long time, but i would be seriously worried... like start sniffing around and see what else is going on.

• You touched a nerve

• talk to him

• Tell him it was a communication gap and you would rather talk things over
    than to jump the gun about situations.

• All I can say is for your own saftey don't disrespect my family.

• maybe reflect and see if u fucked up?

women ridicule men and society doesn't blink an eye, men sets her straight and he's seen as an abuser. this is why women are not very good to partner up with these days. they are like children

• Tell him swearing is bad

• Is he normally like that

• 14d

Never before , he's always relaxed and chill.

• 14d

He is human he gets angry expect it

What Girls Said 8

• I'm the same as your boyfriend. If someone dares to disprespect my family I turn into a Dragon bitch ready to brust my flames on their face. So I understand him.
    It wasn't that bad though, he just sais what the fuck , which is not that much of an insult (he didn't say bitch, etc...).
    I think you should mutually apologize, you tell him sorry for the misunderstanding and him telling you sorry for reacting that way!

• You need to take care of the situation promptly and by that I mean make it clear that he needs to respect you. Tell him that you feel he was being disrespectful to you and just because he thought you said something disrespectful doesn't mean he had to react the way he did. He might start doing this to you each time you're in an argument, and maybe even when you're not in one. A line needs to be drawn.

• tell him you dont like it

• Don't you dare to talk too much about someone's parents. It seems you've crossed the line, even if you didn't insult

• talk to him

• I can understand it. You mention family sometimes, and well... Expect whatever.

• Well he did think u disrespected his family. This isint about ur right and I'm wrong or vise versa. U both should sit down, calm down, talk about it. See his POV, tell ur POV and clear up the misunderstanding. Maybe say "hey I know I though I was speaking ill about it family but I really wasn't, I was (and say ur POV)" and proceed with "and I understand why u would have though I was speaking about ur family, but that was not at all what happened." And then after the talk, just make up a middle ground of not judging the other without proof and clarification.

• I'd feel exactly like you. Some people might think we're oversensitive, but I don't think that's the case. I think you should tell him that you don't like it when he blows up at you like that and that and that next time, he should confront you respectfully if he has a problem with what you say.