What does "Maybe" mean?

What does it mean when you ask a girl out and she says "Maybe"?

There's this girl, we talk regularly and text a lot (sometimes for hours even when she's supposed to be sleeping), she even gave me a cute nickname. One time when we were texting I suggested that I'm planning to go to to an event which is like a fair and asked her if she wanted to join me. She replied with "Yes, why not". A few days later I asked her in person and she said maybe. I noticed however that she said it with a smile and because I walked away after as someone called me, she made a funny face. When we talk, she keeps eye contact with me and smiles often but this maybe confused me a bit. What does it mean? Any advice, ladies?

11d Just to clarify - a maybe can be both a yes and a no. If you're confident in yourself, you can easily turn it into a yes, like I did. Otherwise, it'll slowly turn into a solid no. You guys need to be more positive.

What Girls Said 2

• she's unsure about it

• 11d

yeah, she told me that she wants us to go out but as she's been hurt before after a long relationship, she's being careful and wants to take it slow.

• She's not sure/she hasn't decided.

What Guys Said 4

• Maybe means I don't want to tell you no.

• she maybe sees you as friend? i am not sure.

• They haven't decided yet.

• Take it as a "No".