Would you ever date someone who doesn't like music?

I know this is kind of a weird question, but I'm really curious what people think about this.

• YESWould you ever date someone who doesn't like music?
  • NOWould you ever date someone who doesn't like music?
  • I don't care..Would you ever date someone who doesn't like music?
    Vote C
  • ...Would you ever date someone who doesn't like music?
    Vote D

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 88

• I would say that I probably wouldn't date someone who disliked music because music releases serotonin in the brain when you listen to it. If you dislike music, then there is probably something fundamentally wrong with your brain if you don't feel that release of serotonin when you listen to it. But if you are one of those people who doesn't particularly love music, but can still appreciate well-written songs and can sill go out on the weekends ad dance and have fun at a bar or club where the societal expectation is to listen to music, then I'd be fine with that. I'd be perfectly fine dating a guy who always let me listen to whatever I wanted because he had no particular preference.

I met a guy last night at a club who used that BS excuse "I like everything" when my friend asked him what kind of music he listens to. I told him this was a cop out because you either don't listen to music at all or you have a certain kind or genre that you listen to the majority of the time. If you're going to say you like listening to music, then tell me what kind you like. If that's not the kind I listen to, that's fine, but don't sit there and tell me you like all kinds equally because nobody likes all kinds equally, this conversation is going nowhere, and I probably wasn't interested in you to begin with, so you've just made it so I don't want to talk to you as a person anymore.

• 4d

^^ this, it's why I say I like all genres but generally listen to rock and 80s.

• 4d

@19magic
      80s rock is a great go-to genre of music for people who generally do listen to a wide variety. Anybody who was alive during the 80 knows a ton of songs because it had huge air time and is known to be the golden era of rock. Even most millennials know a few 80s songs because our parents and older siblings listened to it when we were young. And even if 80s isn't your favorite genre, it's a good place to start a conversation with because you can easily branch off into a different conversation from there.

• I've dated a guy in the past who didn't like music. It was okay, but I don't know if I would do that again. I love music, I like having it on in the background in my home. I like listening to music a lot. I like dancing to it and I like singing to it in the car.

So for me, music is an important part of my life. I always felt weird about listening to music near him because I knew he didn't really care for it.

• If they hated music to the point where they were constantly complaining about whatever music was playing or I wasn't even allowed to listen to music in the car or at a party then no. That would be incredibly annoying. If they hate music they can at least try to tolerate it.

• If he doesn't mind me listening to it when I'm cleaning; I would.

My music isn't on full blast but loud enough so I can hear it while I'm doing things. Moving from room to room generally.

Now, if he has an issue with that... >.> He can put in ear plugs and deal.

• I dont care if he doesn't like music... as long as he doesn't flip a shit when I'm listening to music or singing or whatever.

• I think my vote went to the wrong one. I would say no! Music inspires a lot of my art and I could not be with someone who does not appreciate any type of art. Doesn't have to be something I would listen to, but it would have to be something that inspires them.

• I wouldn't care. As long as it don't infringes on my rights to make music. I view what I do as a lifelong career. He has his likes and I have mine. The reality is everybody won't like the same thing.

• I'm a first soprano, I love to sing. My boyfriend, @TheTrueLordJ makes beats, mixing and mastering, and is in a metal band. You do the math.

• 5d

Beautiful couple !

• 5d

"Baritone" is also sometimes used to describe a male range in between Tenor and Bass.

• 4d

Thanks.
      Thats awesome that you sing and your boyfriend is in a metal band.
      Me, I tried to play Bass Guitar, and if it was anyone else with the teacher I had (The man is the best damn blues bassist I've ever met.) they would have learned.
      Too bad I'm pretty much incapable of learning an instument.

• I only say no because I can't possibly fathom someone not listening to music at all. There are so many genres that are out there, to not listen to something would make me wonder if the person had emotions at all.

• No I wouldn't date someone who didn't like music. I find it an odd thing to dislike considering there are so many variations and strains of music.

• Hell to the NO!!! That is right! I am a musician. I love all kinds of music. You don't have to be into it like me, but at least like it. Music is the universal language!

• I can't imagine getting along with someone like that - I would drive them so insane practising piano that they would probably attack it with an axe!

• Considering my favorite dates involve going to concerts, i could not date someone who didn't like music. I'm not even sure if I've ever met anyone in the real world who didn't. 💟🎼

• That is like one of the least concerning factors I consider when determining if I'd date someone.

• I'm not sure I could.

• I never thought about it. After a quick google you discover, there are people who hate music,
    Including Freud lol. It's something scientists call Musical Anhedonia. Anhedonia can be
    a clinical feature of depression, schizophrenia, and some other mental illnesses.
    'The inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable,
    e. g. exercise, hobbies, music, sexual activities or social interactions'.
    If someone I was interested in really hated music, they could have other problems too.
    so . no .

• I would date someone who doesn't care much for music. But someone who actually dislikes it... not sure. I've always been quite attracted to music fanatics, not sure if coincidental.

• #I don't think music is that important. My boyfriend and I have really different tastes in music and it has never been an issue, I think it would be similar situation if he didn't like music at all

• I don't mind as long as they don't stop me from enjoying/listening to music

• Someone who doesn't like music? Does such a person exist?

• no, music is a big deal in my life

• bruh
    no
    hell
    fucking
    no

• Like doesn't like it at all or just doesn't care about it much?

Like I'm not a big music person but I like to jam in the car, I can't remember lyrics well or anything but I still jam lol. I probably could since it's not a big part of my life but I still will jam in the car haha

• I love music... so I can't be with someone who hates it... unless he loves art and poetry... but how can anyone dislike music? I feel like anyone who doesn't like music has no personality or may be boring! Well unless he likes art and poetry... music is a combo of art and poetry though so yeahhh

• 7h

How can a person that likes art dislike music? Music is a form of art, so that makes definitely no sense.

• 7h

"can anyone dislike music?" Well, that's why I called this a stupid question.
      But I know that there are many people who do not like music.

• How we would be able to go out and have fun if he doesn't like music? It would be impossible.
    So no, I wouldn't date someone who doesn't like it.

• i wouldn't really care about it

• I don't care for music so its a yes, but at same time im aromantic so i don't really do the whole dating thing. I'd certainly be best friends with someone who doesn't care for music though.

• I wouldn't care but it'd be a bit of a barrier between us.

• I probably wouldn't care lol but I hope he would have some sense of it and appreciate it

• sure I don't care to be honest hahahah

• More from Girls
    58

What Guys Said 65

• Music is very important to me: listening, learning, writing, recording, and performing. It's not how I make a living, but I'm very serious about it. Except for professional musicians, music scholars, and people that just really know their shit, most people don't seem to consider it nearly as important as I do.

If I were dating, I couldn't rule out people who didn't consider it as important as I do; it would be very limiting if I did. Still, I couldn't date someone who was apathetic; it's too important to me. And I would doubt the humanity of someone who actively hated music.

That said, a woman who knew as much or more than me, or who was a really accomplished musician or songwriter: huge bonus points!

• Like to the point where I couldn't listen to my music around them? That might get old after a while. I demand to be serenade by the sweet sounds of Kenny G at all times😂
    media3.giphy.com/media/2FazbYdly6tSiDfP2/giphy.gif

• I have played percussion instruments since age 10 and piano since age 13. I sing tenor in my church choir and I write music. Dating someone who does not appreciate music would simply not work.

• I don't believe such a person exists, I think it is impossible. There are so many genres of music and so many ways it is used. there's music in movies (scores), video games, there is rock, pop, dance, rap, country, jazz, blues, christian, new age classical, reggae, and sub genres of them as well as many others. There is even music in church. I will believe you if they have been exposed to at least what i have listed and still do not like music. Music isn't just entertainment, it's embedded into our society. Musical chairs, dancing, national anthems, sports events,.. I could go on,,, It really baffles me, that people can make that claim. If you are such a person, I would love to hear your argument and stance.

• i don't know. i guess i could but music is a huge part of my life so it would be interesting to be with someone who doesn't like music...

that said i've never met a person alive who categorically didn't like music at all

• No I wouldn't and I won't date anyone that doesn't listen to rock nor will I date anyone that listens to country

• No, because that indicates something fundamentally flawed in their mentality. This makes the person less predictable and more dangerous in terms of functioning in society.

• That wouldn't be a big deal.

• Yeah I would. I just wouldn't play my music around her.

• Depends on how much they didn't like it. If it's to the point that they couldn't stand it then no. But if they simply didn't listen to anything in particular then by all means I'd date them.

• I don't think I'd care too much.

And, to be honest, disliking the same kind of music I dislike is more important than liking the same music I like in the long run.

If I can't stand Justin Bieber and she loves hearing it, then we'll have an issue.

• Yes, I could care less about music anyway.

• I don't see why that would be an issue. It's not like we have to listen to music together. I prefer to listen to music alone with my headphones anyway.

Besides, even if she did like music, what are the odds that she likes all of the exact same genres/artists/songs as I do?

• It depends. Like if you don't like it to a point where I can't even play my music in the car, then that could be a problem. If your just not very interested in it. I get that.

• Doesn't like Music? I couldn't... driving in a car without music is one of the easiest was to irritate me/get me in a bad mood.

I have the widest "Music taste" of anyone I know so I'm tolerable of a lot of different types.

• way more important things than whether they like music. My chances of finding someone compatible are already low, I'm not gonna lower them with BS criteria

• Damn... I really love music, man! I listen to it everyday. It sure would be a turn off if she didn't like music

• It doesn't depend on things like that, that will determine who I would date. It's possible whatever they're into before me is subject to change, or has potential to. And also there's so much else about a persons qualities that are more interesting than some music.

But it would be weird, I must say lol.

• Yeah I would. I like music. But some people thats their hobby and that ain't me. I'm sure they wouldn't date one tho.

• Yes I would. I don't require a woman to like the same music as me. If she doesn't like any music, then kind of the same deal lol

• I don't see why not. I'm not a very musical person myself. It would be refreshing to know someone that doesn't seem addicted to music :)

• Well, there's a difference between not liking and actively disliking music. The latter would be difficult to deal with

• Don't care.

• That would be quite low on my list of deal breakers - I would be surprised if it became an issue

• I have dated people in the past with very little interest in music and it has been a big problem. It would be something to carefully consider in the future.

• Trust me. I can make them like music. (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-mUjKDbDfY

• No. I like music, it's good topic for chat, it can change your mood, make you feel better, sad, kick your energy, etc. The same I expect from my partner.

• I voted I don't care but my opinion on it is, that I care so little about it. As long as music doesn't seem like a torture to them so they want none of it, I wouldn't mind.

• I'm not sure if I've ever even met someone who doesn't like some kind of music.

• As long as she likes making sandwiches

• More from Guys
    35