Should I tell my boyfriend I'm still friends with a guy I used to date?

Been seeing someone for about 2 months now. Things are good (we're not exclusive yet). Thing is, I'm still friends with a guy I used to date earlier this year... we broke up amicably for stuff going on with his family. We still text all the time, but haven't met up for a while. I'm planning to do it this week and have a catch up with him. The guy I'm seeing knows he's a friend but doesn't know about our history, but he's got nothing to worry about as I'd never cheat! I've got nothing to hide, and it seemed irrelevant to mention we'd dated casually in the past.

5d Thanks for all the feedback... I'd like to point out that I have no romantic feelings at all towards my friend. He's been through some hard shit, and I'd never get back with him as we were wrong for each other. He's a solid friend and you don't abandon friends.

What Guys Said 6

• yeah u should

• Well if you're not exclusive, then you're free to do whatever. But regardless it would be respectful to share that information, with him so he understands the situation and has a choice to decide if he's cool with it

• I would tell him. A lot of guys are uncomfortable with their girlfriends keeping in contact with people from past relationships. Some guys are cool with it, some aren't. I can tell you for sure that he will be upset if he thinks you are just friends and then finds out down the road that you have a past with him.

• The fact that your asking answers your question.

• Yeah it would be best

• 5d

Yeah regardless, if it comes out later and was never mentionned, it might cause trust issues.
      You know thats the case.
      he's only got your word to go by.
      And you never know what could happen from then till now... why risk it
      Be upfront, best choice

• definitely. you should tell me so that i could instantly break up with you. if i discovered later that you lied. i'd still break up instantly

What Girls Said 15

• Honestly, I see no reason you need to tell him. If it is a non-issue, you're faithful and things were casual, there's no reason to try and potentially stir the pot.

• Yes, you should tell your boyfriend now. Especially if you want the relationship to grow and be based on trust. Trust is the basis for everything. If you have nothing to hide, and the other guy is simply a friend, then you have nothing to hide. IF you would talk to him in front of your man and you would text him in front of your man, feel safe in the fact that it is better you speak of it, then hide it! Best of Luck

• yes, tell him. and set the tone for the rest of your relationship~ honest and open.

(he doesn't need to know specifics, like how long you dated or the details of your sex life. just keep it simple and don't overshare.)

also, if you still hang out with your ex, definitely invite your man along.

• I mentioned it to my boyfriend buuuut that's because he's the same way and has a lot of platonic chick friends. I think honesty is the best policy... and so is tact with your timing.

• If you're not exclusive, then he isn't your boyfriend and you dont have to tell him anything. You are single. You're not doing anything wrong that you have to hide, but no sense in causing unnecessary drama so dont bring it up. If the guy you've been seeing for 2 months doesn't have enough sense to make it exclusive with you, then you dont really have to explain anything to him. you wouldn't even be cheating if something did happen. how can u be faithful to a guy ur not exclusive with?

• Tell him before things get out of hand. He might be hurt or even angry when he finds about your past on a different way.

• I would tell him, simply because it would look like you were hiding it if he found out later in some other way
    Even though you aren't exclusive it still feels like a courtesy thing to me

• Tell him your going out with your friend. If it comes up or he asks how you know him, tell him you used to date. I don't think you need to forward the info but don't lie either.

• are you kidding you will start a war if you do that... believe me your ex will eventually make a move on you men don't be friends with girls unless you look like a beast and i'm sure you don't and your boyfriend probably knows that already.

• yeah tell him

• honesty is the best policy I think it is for the best to tell him

• It's better that you tell him than he having to find that out himself like you hid it from him

• tell him

• Yeah

• Yea... Tell him. It should be his choice if he's ok with that or not. Lots of people wouldn't be.