I'm bothered that my boyfriend used to be embarrassed by me. Should I be?

My boyfriend is the type of guy who puts a lot of opinion on how others see him, and he hangs out with a group of people who are quite clichey and judgmental. I know that his friends find me annoying and won't accept me, and especially at the beginning, my boyfriend was worried about what his friends would think if we started dating, however decided in the end that he doesn't care and asked me out.

The more me and him hung out however, the more we realised how compatible we were, and we are really falling for each other. He likes me just the way I am, and he likes how genuine I am. I know that deep down he wants to not care so much how others think, and he is taking steps to improve. Deep down, he is just as weird and quirky as I am. However, at the same time, he still hangs out with these friends, and it is only after 1 year of dating that he is opening up and feeling more comfortable with bringing me along to their parties. He has however introduced me to his family, and has happily met mine and enjoys meeting all my friends.

I am really conflicted however, because on one hand I am very hurt that he used to be (and occasionally still is) slightly embarrassed by me, but on the other hand, he knows that this is wrong and is working to change because he cares about me, and also wants to improve himself and not care what other people think. I love him and he is so good to me. He has been there for me when I was depressed, and he understands me so well (I am slightly bipolar). I guess he has always been that sociable guy, but now that he's with someone he considers more socially awkward, he feels this role to protect me from the outside world... however I feel a bit offended because I don't like how he thinks of me like this? I wish he would be proud to have me come to social events with him, rather than be cautious because other people judge me. Now I'm starting to question his love for me.

Am I being too harsh on him?

What Guys Said 3

• yeah u should

• Hey there,
    How many girlfriends he had b4 you?
    anyways, i think you are not too harsh. You need to confront him but do not come off aggressive. Tell him what you feel. Guys hate that they need to interpret you.

• 9d

He hasn't had any before me.

• 9d

Well, when i had my first girl friend, I really didn't know how to behave in public with her. She confronted me about me being awesome in private with her, but terrible in public. Afterwards, i really changed my behavior for good. Be a bit more dominant and show him and tell him how you want to be treated.

• Yes that's does sound worrisome

What Girls Said 3

• yeah u should

• yeah u should

• He is a follower. The end.