Could you be in a relationship with someone who is best friends with their ex?

Title says it all.

3d A little more info: the were in a serious relationship for 3 years. Even though they broke up they still hang out 1on1 and text often.
3d they**

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 20

• Nah, I would feel some type of way about it. I'm all for having friends, but it's different when your best friend is a girl who happens to also be your ex. Not cool with me. I feel that his female best friend is me first and foremost. Any other girl, she only talks to him when I'm around and he communicates to me what they talk about.

Nope, I couldn't date someone like that. Plus, if they broke up, they broke up for a reason. There were feelings between them two at one point. They shared hopes and dreams together if they were together that long. They must of planned on things together. I would not feel right that the girl he happens to be close with is a past lover; someone he was intimate with and loved. Someone that he was attracted to, and possibly is. I would be constantly paranoid. I would feel like I'm fighting for my place in his heart if he can let an old love still around in his. I would feel like it's a competition. I shouldn't have to feel threatened in my relationship. Our relationship should be respected and honored. Buddy-buddy with an ex is like a slap in the face for me. It's almost like he still haven't gotten over her. There is chemistry if they are still talking.

All I gotta say to that is NOPE.

• Don't think I would do well with that. Maybe if his ex turned out to be a lesbian. Otherwise it's an awkward relationship dynamic that would probably make me jealous because I can be irrational. I'm working on it.

• This is something that I wouldn't feel comfortable with. They have a romantic history together. There is still that possibility that they can get back together because of the history. And if they talk, text, and see each other often I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

• It depends. I take friendships really seriously, I would have to have all of us talk it out first. I would never want to get in between two friends

• depends on if I really like the guy and my friend was okay with it. but even then it would just feel weird

• 3d

I think you're confused by the question. Would you date a guy who is best friends with his ex girlfriend?

• Yes, I could as long as their relationship was clearly platonic.

• My boyfriend knows that I'm friends with my ex. He is totally fine with it. Plus I told him why I'm still friends with him.

• I dumped this guy almost a year ago I mean I was 12 and he was saying he loved me like what. Anyway now my best friend has the worst crush on him anyway i honestly don't care so your friend shouldn't ether

• i couldn't personally. i'm too insecure

• Well for me it depends. .. Is she someone he dated for less than a year and figured out they get along better as friends or is she someone who was more serious and is secretly still in love with?

• Depends how long they dated, and as long as they're not doing anything behind my back while we're dating. I'm very trusting until you give me a reason not to be.

• 3d

They dated 3 years and they hang out 1on1 without you.

• 3d

I'm asking for a friend. I told him I thought it was weird, but I'm not personally involved.

• 3d

Well as long as your friend trusts their partner then it shouldn't be a problem.

• Hell to the naw.

• No..

• no never

• Why not, go for it

• That's a hell the fk no!!! That's asking for trouble. Your going to get hurt

• hmm, there was a korean show about this... ex girlfriend club... may be you should look into it. Lol. But in reality, I would honestly admit it would be difficult to adjust to such a relationship but if it is simply just a friend for him... and i liked him enough I would be able to eventually... with a little fight here and there unfortunately

• Absolutely.

My Ex was actually at my wedding (almost 10 years ago) and him and my Husband are pretty good friends now. He even came to my Husbands Fathers Funeral last Friday.

• 3d

how long were you and your ex together for?

• 3d

thanks for sharing, but this situation sounds a little different.

• 3d

Only if you make it different. Not being jealous and letting things play out can do wonders for your relationship. Also would you want someone just being faithful because they don't haev the chance to cheat? I say give 'em enough rope to hang themselves and see if they come back. If she decides she wants to be with him then he just did you the favor of saving you a butt load of time. Every girl my husband liked (and one he loved) came out of the woodwork once we were together for about a month and while they tried to get him to break up with me I was being the caring supportive girlfriend that wanted him to have his friends, and go and hang out with them... he ended up wanting to be with me hands down because I always put him first which caused him to always put me first. We have been together almost 14 years, almost married for 10 now. Love of my life!

• No. If my boyfriend was best friends with his ex, we'd have more than a problem. This girl tried to bait him into getting her pregnant by telling him and his entire family that she could not get pregnant, and then broke up with him when he couldn't deliver, went to a party that next weekend and slept with a guy she knew for 5 minutes. She then found out she pregnant about a week later, and married him. Then texted my boyfriend that the guy had a bigger dick than him. She had also messaged me on social media by mistake asking him to come over to his house ALONE, I waited a few days to see if she noticed, when I confronted her, she had blocked me. And now the bitch avoids me like the plague. Oh and she's popped out another child since then.

• As long as they don't hide it. And they're open about it.

• 3d

Yes, they're upfront about it. But it wouldn't worry you if they hung out 1on1 a lot or texted a lot?

• 3d

It's not about "stopping" them. They are hanging out 1 on 1...
      You would date a guy who is best friends with an ex he dated for 3 years?

• 3d

Yeh it's weird. And they shouldn't so much 1 on 1 as surely that time should be with her partner... but Yeh I would, as I'm kinda in the same boat as them

What Guys Said 3

• I wouldn't be in a relationship with anyone regardless of whether or not they are best friends with their ex because I'm asexual/aromantic. I think most people are too insecure to be in a relationship with someone who is best friends with their ex. It looks like people don't trust their partners as much as they'd like to... thesportsphysio.files.wordpress.com/.../...738.jpg

• No... It would feel like walking on thin ice. Whether it's innocent or not, it will sure bother me. If she wants her ex back, then go ahead. Go back to her ex.

Or if she choose you, she's better cut it out. The other guy also better cut it out. Eye to eye. Stay away from my girl. "We're both guys. I know what you're thinking."

• No, because if she is going to remain best friends with an ex there are feelz there and you will always be at risk of losing her to that guy.

If they are 1 on 1 then they are LIKELY having sex at some point.