I've decided I don't want to be with him. But I like him as a friend (genuinely) and don't want to stop talking to him?

I just don't know how to tell him!
I don't want a relationship with him and that's what he wants. It makes me uncomfortable when he says he really likes me.
But I want him as a friend because I like his company, and surely if he stops talking to me because I don't like him in that way that just means he's an asshole because he couldn't of liked me as a person to not want me for anything more than a relationship?
How do I go about it?

What Guys Said 5

• he's not an asshole. if you can reject him for relationship, then he can reject you for friendship. Its a two way street.
    tell him nicely what you want, and then its upto him. you can't force him to be your friend anyway just like he can't force you to be in a relationship

• Tell him that, if he really likes you I think he'll understand, nobody is forced to be with someone but it doesn't mean that friendship should end. You know, 5 months ago I asked a girl out, she's a friend of mine and she had no idea about what I was feeling. Well, after I said what I had to say I told her that I hoped that things wouldn't be awkward after what happened (yeah, I was rejected) and she said she hoped it too. Fortunately they didn't get awkward and we still talk normally. So, it's possible! Say what you have to say and I hope for the best ;)

• Tell him he's ugly

• tell him

• 9d

That's what I said I'm gonna do 🙄 but *how*!

• fuck no. we have friends we dont need your vagina if not to use it... .

• 9d

your friendship will be rejected easy as fuck.

• 9d

So you think women are not worthy of being just your friend for their intellect, it's either someone to fuck or no one at all?
      You sound like a brainless goon so you should count yourself lucky if anyone offers to be your friend at all.

• 9d

no. its an EX that you never make into a friend. if one came and told me "lets be just friends" thats an instant punch in the face. you enjoy my company bitch? go play with your boring girlfriends, i have my friends that are way cooler than you.. .

What Girls Said 2

• tell him you don't want him if you end it well later on in life you can be friends. if you become friends right after the break up he'll be like you never broke up and it'll be harder for him to see you as single if you become friends right after the break up. let him move on then later become his friend.

• Tbh just say you're not into him or anyone Romantically atm cuz otherwise he'll be too hurt and people's egos get bruised easily. Let him down easy and don't give him any false hopes.