Do you believe that the type of people you're attracted to, is influenced by the environment you're in?

I'm black, and I'm attracted to white guys. The majority of the population in the country where I live is white.
Most of the people I met at school and also in college were white.
So, I think if I had more black people around me, I wouldn't be attracted to white guys.

Do you believe I'm right? Or do you think that my attraction towards them has nothing to do with the environment I'm in?
Feel free to share your thoughts and give me details, I will appreciate it.

Most Helpful Guy

• In a way.
    I mean, anyone I am attracted to is someone I've seen, so chances are they're "in my environment".
    Also, if you grow up around the same type of people, it's possible you'll just become used to that, and be attracted to those types of people.

However, for example, I have never crushed on a black girl. Does this mean I would never crush on a black girl? No. I just don't have a large enough selection of black girls in my environment, so the CHANCES that I crush on a black girl are way lower than the chances I crush on a white girl.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in your situation now, and that's why I think I'm attracted to white guys. One school I went to was mostly Latino, and during that time that's mostly who I was interested in. We're comfortable around familiarity, and there's nothing wrong with that. It is dangerous, however, to be self-hating, which I'm not saying you are. I once had a black friend who thought everyone who was slightly brown was ugly and thought white people were the best. That's when there's a problem.

• 3d

I understand you. Yes, I know some people are self-haters. But I'm not like that.
      I'm happy with who I am and I don't think non-white people are ugly and white people are the best.

• 3d

It's doubtful you'll end up with a guy like that if you love yourself. There was this guy in HS who said extremely racist things and made black jokes. Then he would flirt with me all the time, and it took everything in me not to punch him in the face. That friend I was telling you about was always facebook messaging him and he would tell her he liked her butt. Those kinds of guys are easy to spot, especially if you let your family and friends get the know the person you're dating. You'll be okay.

• 2d

I guess you're right. I used to have low self-esteem, but I'm learning to love myself. I'm getting better.
      This guy was an asshole! I could never talk to someone like that. If I were you, I would feel the same way. I can see why your friend used to chat with him. Since she was a self-hater. It's really sad.
      That's true, it's easy to spot them. And the last thing you said is also true.
      But if I won't let my family know who I am dating. I will only tell my friends. I can't tell anything to my family.

What Guys Said 17

• It really all depends on the personality, it could be that case for you, and some others, but not the same with everyone.

I was exposed to mostly white people but from different races and backgrounds. But im attracted to Indians, Black girls.. etc

• I really dont think anyone is only attracted to a particular race. You're either attractive or you're not in my opinion. It might be that a certain race just happens to have the most attractive guys in your eyes, but that in no way means that you are only attracted to guys that age. It becomes even more silly when you consider that many Hispanic people and some people from the Middle East look white with blonde hair blue eyes and everything.

Now most of the girls Im attracted to happen to be white (and i live in a large metropolitan area with a diverse ethnic background) but I have seen extremely attractive girls from every race.

• It's not so much the sepcifc type of people you are attracted to... it's more like how many attractive people OF each race you see.

- I grew up in a 98.2% white area and I only saw pretty white girls.
    - Since I moved to a much more ethnically diverse area, I'm attracted to any attractive girl now.

Logic says the race which makes up the majority of the population, will yield the highest number of attractive people too.

• think its more genetic, there is just things in some of them that u are attracted to in them. some black girls just like white guys. i have had plenty of black girls that have liked me. on my hand, im fairly picky on liking black girls. its hard to say exactly but certain looks i just really like, while others i have no interest at all and wouldn't look at twice.

• Of course it is. When I was an adolescent, all the girls around me were AA. Guess what girls I find most attractive.

• I wouldn't say that's always the case. I'm white and have grown up around white people all my life, and yet, I am very attracted to black women despite my city having a very low black population.

• No, because I went to a school where the majority was black and I am still attracted to white girls/Asian girls

• It kind of does but other influences are how your parents raise you and the kind of people you see in the media. I grew up in a mostly Hispanic community and I'm only attracted to Hispanic and White women.

• 2d

How does the way my parents raised me might be an influence?

• 2d

They could tell you who they want you to marry. My dad doesn't care what race my future wife is but my mom hopes that I marry either a Hispanic or White woman.

• 2d

I see. Now, I know what you mean.
      I don't want to get married. And even if I wanted to, I wouldn't allow my parents to tell me to who I should get married.

• I think your environment definitely affects who you're attracted to. I grew up in a town that's over 95% white and I'm only really attracted to white girls

• Well I don't think so, most of my family is white or fair but I prefer darker girls. Don't know why tho

• There's a lot of variables but yes your surrounding does make a difference but at the same time it could make you want what you can't have. Some people won't even consider dating outside of their race. Some people won't date their race because they feel their race is this and that or the other race is this and that. It really is a personal preference but maybe in your case with your character that's what it is

• 2d

" It really is a personal preference but maybe in your case with your character that's what it is" - What do you mean?

• 2d

It means everybody is different

• 2d

True. Thank you for answering.

• absolutely think of it like this say you grew up where all guys around you were like a 3 out 10 and you didn't have access to the outside world... you wouldn't know any better so chance are you would find yourself interested in one of them

• Possibly. I've grown up with black women, white women and Indian women. I like them all.

• Yes this is correct.

• Girls who grew up in ghetto hood areas are more likely to seriously like guys who beat people's faces in so yea.

• I think it is half and half. I mean I'm willing to bet that any guy you find attractive you would be willing to say is an attractive man. It's just that you are surounded by and around guys who are white so you are just more likely to find one or a few of them attractive. I mean you wouldn't be willing to say you don't find any man of another race attractive would you?

• 2d

No, I wouldn't say that. It wouldn't be true. Since there's attractive and unattractive men in every race.

• I live with lots of Mexicans but I like white girls

What Girls Said 8

• Not really I don't know. I grew up in Canada in a not so diverse city and yet I'm mostly attracted to brown dudes (that's not to say that I'm not attracted to others, just said most) lol so I guess it just depends.

• Probably for some people that are easily influenced but i wouldn't say that i am. I dont prefer 1 specific race over others. I find doing that pretty odd and hypocritical. If im attracted to a guy then im attracted to that guy no matter his race. I don't see a hot Asian guy and say "too bad i like black guys". Like no. Why is the race so important? If someones hot they're hot. If they're sweet they're sweet. If they're funny then they're funny. Im curious to know, if you were really interested in a white guy and he said "you're pretty and i like your personality but i only date white girls" how would you feel? Pretty sure thats favoritism over one race which makes them, in your eyes, superior which is racism: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

• 3d

" Im curious to know, if you were really interested in a white guy and he said "you're pretty and i like your personality but i only date white girls" - I would be sad of course. It would hurt me.

No, no, no. I don't think white guys are superior. Or guys of other races are inferior. I'm just attracted to them. That's all.
      You got me wrong.

• 3d

Never id you hate other races. If you dont understand what i said then read it over again. Its still there. No one has to blantly say something for it to be the case just so you know. Its called implying and many other things that lead to conclusions, honey.

• 3d

LOL

I give up. It's not possible to have a polite conversation with you. You're always judging me and accusing me of something.

• Probably. However I feel that in your case it might just be limited option.

• I think there is always a possibility that it is due to your environment. however I grew up in a very diverse community yet I am attractive to black guys so I guess it's also just your type.

• Well, what country do you live in?

• I have no idea.

I am white and grew up around pretty much everyone being white. I am attracted to all races/colors, I see them as normal people. I don't see people other than white as any different then white. So what they're a different color, WHO CARES? Why can't everyone just see everyone as normal people? There is really nothing different about them.

• Wrong, i grew up around whites and i have always been attracted to Asian and latino men

• Nah i don't think it has anything to do with the environment. but still it had some effect on your preferences.