Should I date my friend?

My best friend and I are very close, and she is always telling me how I'm her best friend in the world. She also says how I am the only person she can stand to be around for hours and not be annoyed. I really like her more than a friend and have asked her bout us. We almost dated when we first met but she had a boyfriend at the time, so we didn't. After that relationship she wanted to remain single for awhile, it was until recently when I started to look for other people, that she and I have started to do stuff. I asked her if we should just date but she is afraid of us failing and we would end up hating each other, and that she couldn't stand to be without me. So what should I do, date or just stay friends?

Most Helpful Guy

• I see no problem in it. I mean if you two are really that close and really so good together, you should at least give it a couple dates to try it out. Honestly though I see no problem in best friends dating, because I've done it more than once. In once case it didn't work out, and we stopped and she went for somebody else (we're still close friends now, even if we're not best friends).

Then there's another friend whom I've known for years, and is easily the best friend or for that matter human being I've ever known. She's my best friend and I fell for her maybe 3½ years ago, and started dating her roughly 3 years ago. We've been dating ever since. It's been going really well and quite smoothly for pretty close to the entire time we've been dating. Maybe three fights total, and a lot of which were based around misunderstandings. Really this is the best relationship I've ever been in and I love it. For us though the only real change that happened after we got together is now we have sex. So I don't see the big problem here.

I've also tried dating friends too. It didn't usually end in complete disaster except for the times that the girl ended up cheating on me. But that's a different story all together. Bottom line is, If you both make each other happy you should at least give it a try. and if you are good enough friends then you should be able to survive a break up. Also, whether things get weird is dependent on how mature and civil you can be about it if things don't work out. If you do get together you can always try to stay together. Like any relationship it means putting in the work needed to keep things open and honest. It's not hard. I'm sure you knew that though.

Anyway I say go for it. I think it's a good thing.

Good luck on this.

What Girls Said 3

• I think the best would be to decide: do you fancy her that much that you're can't imagine you two being just friends? Are you scared of failing? If you think it's still worth having a go, try it! I just think that if she's really scared, don't try straight "let's have a date" thing, but just become more touchy, caring and sweet, well, treat her as if she's your girlfriend already (except that main part;) ) and then, hopefully, things will move forward automatically. I know, it's not that easy (if you check my questions, I'm in similar situation, too). But that would work on me :D

• Me and my best friend dated. We knew each other since we were kids. I didn't mean to but I broke his heart and he won't talk to me ever again. The love wasn't there anymore for me and it was for him. I wanted to love him and I even thought of just saying I did and lying. Once you become lovers you can't go back, so its her choice too. but it is also yours.

• go for it.. its harder to live with "what if"... no one can predict the future .. you may be happy together and you might not be.. but how will you know if you don't give it a go?

What Guys Said 3

• Never ever date a friend that you want to keep as a friend forever especially a bestfriend. I know from experience if the relationship goes sour you will be lucky to just have her as a friend after its all said and done you can kiss that bestfriend status goodbye.

• Do what you want to do. It sounds like you want to. It's natural for a girl to not want to because you're her best friend and she either sees you as a brother or can't stand losing you as a best friend.

You should kiss her. Or start going after other girls. Be prepared to lose the friendship if you try to go for her.

• I dated my best freind or she was my best friend and now she won't talk to me anymore so think about how its going to affect your friendship before you do anthing.