Does introvert = shy?

girls do you make a distinction between the two, also do view such people as having no life, because I think most girls misunderstand them

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd like to see more girls answer this one. As we know, there's definitely a difference. I think both shy guys and introverted guys are at a disadvantage as far as getting a girlfriend IF they let their attitude/personality keep them from talking to girls and making moves. I'm both shy and introverted, so I know. Girls want guys to make moves--guys who are confident and fun. For the introvert, the challenge is to push oneself to reach out and socialize; for the shy guy, the challenge is to overcome anxiety and fear.

But as long as shy and/or introverted guys are taking baby steps to improve their social skills and confidence, they'll have nothing to worry about.

One note about shy/introverted girls: they may also be at a disadvantage in dating, because even if they like a guy, they'll have a hard time reciprocating his advances. I suppose girls who are like that feel just as much pain as the shy/introverted guys.

Best of luck.

What Girls Said 7

• When people hear the word introvert, they immediately think it means someone who is shy. This is totally wrong. It just means that they don't need acceptance from outside influences because they get it from themselves- as opposed to extroverts who neeeed outside acceptance such as positive attention from others etc in order to feel good about themselves.

An introverted guy is a lot more attractive than an extroverted one trust me :)

• How is an introverted guy more attractive than an extroverted guy??

• Well in my experience, extroverted guys tend to be very attention seeking, and clingy etc which girls hate. Where as introverted guys tend to be much more stable emotionally/secure and stuff, and don't have that approval seeking behaviour that extroverts have. Obviously that's not going to be the case every time, but that's just what I usually experience.

• There's definitely a difference. I'm definitely shy, at first, and until I went college and met my current best friend who started draggin me with her everywhere I was also very introverted. I think it's better to deal with a shy guy than to deal with an introverted guy. I think both can be difficult at first, but after you get the guy to open up I don't think it would matter. The biggest problem with introverts is they usually keep to themselves in the way of not even going out unless needed, or in my case dragged, and shy people may go out and just not talk to anyone unless they know them. But both can be overcame and therefore don't really matter in the long run, its just the initial contact that may be problem.

• 100% correct.

• I don't think introverts are hard to deal with. True they do seem withdrawn but that just mean they need alone time for reflection. They can be the nicest people you meet if you give them the chance. Remember, introverts are perfectly normal people. They can be outgoing at the right time and place.

• I like to think I'm introverted but not shy, although lots of people think I'm shy because I just choose not to talk a lot.

• Eh. They don't entirely go side by side, but they seem to play a small part in some cases. Introvert is being more withdrawn into their own thoughts. Whilst shy is easily frightened, sensitive to a lot of situations. I guess it's easy to confuse to them both together, but they're not the same.

It's difficult to make the distinction between the two though, since they both appear the same at first. xD

• I have the same problem. I'm introvert but a lot people tell me I'm shy. I always have to correct them and say 'No, I'm not shy at all. There is a difference with being reserved and being shy.' But they never take me seriously when I say that.

• I am an introvert am usually friendly and outgoing. Being an introvert just means you prefer being alone and enjoy solitary activities. I also don't think it means you have no life. Just because I don't hang out with friend often doesn't mean I don't do anything. I go biking, play sports outside with my brother, and I have a lot of artistic hobbies. I just prefer doing these things alone or with only one other person.

• people know me as a quiet person, and assume I'm shy. but when I do talk, it matters and people want to hear what I have to say, so I'm not necessarily shy at all, I am rather more of an introvert because I don't have a loud personality, sometimes I want my own space and lone time and it doesn't bother me, like I don't get lonely or anything...its just the way I am...

so yea there is a difference between being shy and introverted

What Guys Said 2

• I'm kinda both, but I think there's a difference:

introvert: means as kripter said "withdrawn into their own thoughts". They rather stay inside and do routine things (be in their comfort zone). They do talk but are more prone to being quiet and thoughtful. They are not scared to speak their mind but think small talk is pointless.

Shy: these are people who find it difficult to put their views across. They want to be part of a group but is scared to do so just in case people judge them. If they are with great friends they will go out there and enjoy with them.

Basically if you see a person who is quiet and you say "why are you always quiet?" shy person goes jumpy, tries to justify, fail and withdraw themselves. Ask that to a introvert, and he will shrug it off, humour you, be annoyed or give you a look that says "like you care and its your business"

Some guys/girls tend to view introverts as having no life whilst shy people as weak and not fun to be around with. But both can also be seen as cool in that they don't judge and are cool with secrets.

• As the respondents have stated, they are related but are not one and the same.