Would you ever meet someone you met online?

You hear all these horror stories...

and say it works out and you two go steady, would you tell people where you met?

Most Helpful Guy

• the idea of meeting somebody you knew online is ok,

dating somebody you knew online is different thu, I think me knowing him online isn't gonna give me any advantage, I'd still have to "study" them all over when I actually meet them,

horror stories are somehow true, parent might be right, but there is a good side too,

i, for example, once met somebody online, we arranged a trip to spain together, and we actually made it to madrid and through madrid safely, neither of us killed the other, in fact, he is one of my travel buddies now, he turned to be a great saudi medicine student ! despite the fact that people thought that saudi are terrorists !

What Guys Said 3

• i met one of my exs online. we had been chatting for a couple of months and we finally decided to meet. lol she did take another one of her friends just to make sure I wasn't some weirdo. we're no longer together but we're really good friends now. so I guess its ok to meet up with someone online as long as you feel like you know the person and your cautious.

• Yes. Why not? Online dating is becoming a very popular thing.

• Yes. I met this guy on Xbox live and he's now one of my good friends.

What Girls Said 3

• I met my first serious boyfriend online. He lived nearby and we ended up meeting first as friends, and then decided after a little while to start dating. He was a wonderful guy and we were extremely compatible. We ended up dating for 5 years. We told some people how we met (i.e. our close friends), but I didn't tell my mom because she didn't approve of me meeting people from the net, and sometimes we just told people we met through friends (this was quite a few years ago (like 2001) when meeting people from the Internet was a lot more rare/taboo than it is now, and so a lot of people would have thought it was "weird").

I've actually met quite a few people that I met on the Internet. A few have been kind of weird, but I've never really had a negative experience. In fact, some of my best friends in "real life" are people who I originally met online.

That being said, if you're going to meet people that you've met on the Internet, be smart and safe about it. Spend time talking to them online and getting to know them. If things seem shady, then don't bother. It helps to have them send you a number of pictures, go on webcam for you, or check out their Facebook so you can see that they actually are who they say they are. Agree to meet in a public place, and let someone know what you're doing/where you are, or even have a friend "planted" nearby in case things don't go as planned. I prefer to make the first meeting a short meeting, i.e. to meet for coffee. That way, if they end up being a weirdo, you can make up an excuse to bail after you finish your drink. If things go well, you can ask them if they want to go do something else.

• I am a member of some online dating sites. I've met some of the greatest guys on them. Its just easier to find the type of guy I like through that instead of waiting for one to run into me. I've never, however, met someone I met on some random website... let's say a website like this one =P I'd like to hear stories of that. People who met from this site.

• yeah, but I'd have to have seen a picture of them and done a background check first...and I'd bring a guy friend.