Strangers on Myspace?

OK I have just got a myspace profile set up spent some time customizing the layout and have sent friend request to all my friends on myspace. I got into this to keep in contact with my friends since we all have move away from our home town.

Anyways I check my profile at lunch and some girl (from the same city as me) has sent me a message, it was some girl on her friend's profile who was browsing the site and came across my profile and sent the message saying she wanted to get to know me and left me her email address.

Now I'm new to this online networking thing and never expected to get any messages from anyone other then my friends. So I don't know what to think about this, I am interested in meeting new people, I am new to this city and don't have many friends here. I am just unsure of the protocol of how to approach a situation like this. I am aware of the "rules" of online dating such as never give your address and meet in a public place etc.

Most Helpful Girl

• Dude, relax, it's just myspace. Do you have any idea how many people have hundreds of "friends" on their list that they don't even know or haven't even sent/received a message from? I literally get bombarded daily with messages and friend requests from guys I don't know. It happens to almost everyone, especially if you are attractive. You either accept or deny.reply or delete.

Myspace sometimes winds up being for some a contest to see how can rack up the most "friends".just browse and you'll see people with thousands of friends.

Just have fun.you might meet some cool people in the process in your area. I have. Just some advice:

If you plan on some day meeting someone you particularly connect with scope out their comments and Top friends. Usually by this you can tell if someone is real or if it's a fake profile. Real people always have people they know in real life (friends, family, boyfriends, girlfriends) on their Tops and by what the comments say you can verify that. If a profile sticks out because it's full of "friends" they don't know irl then be wary, it's probably a psycho using fake pics to lure people in.

What Girls Said 2

• If you want to meet new people, don't do it on Myspace. I have had one for a year or so now and I never follow trough with anything like that. If you start emailing her back, she could become an internet stalker. Especially if you have pictures or your name or your city or anything like that she could find you. That;s why I lie about my city and I make my profile private. For all you know she could be a 40 year old man (even if she has pictures). I say don't do it, just ignore her. Go to the coffees hop or bookstore to meet new people.

• Your new to the city, get to know her. Just don't give out a lot of personal info, not while your getting to know her at first. I guess you can wait till you both feel comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable talking to her you don't have to.

What Guys Said 2

• Get to know her if you can, and if you want to meet her in real-life it sounds like you're aware of the risks. If you don't want to talk to her you can just tell her that, if you do like talking with her, you can tell her that too :p

As long as no personal information is thrown out, have fun trying to make new friends and meet new people. : )

• It's a total scam. I've seen that exact story on MySpace a hundred times over. They say hi and that they are interested in you but they are on their friends profile. Just ignore any messages like that unless you wanna pull the scammers leg and waste their time. I'll bet you any amount of money that if you talk to this person and become interested, they will try to get you to visit some kind of paysite the requires a credit card or they will make up some kind of story about how they need money for their mother's operation or some such thing. Don't believe a word from these kind of messages. They are only out to get your money.