Does age really matter?

They guy I like is 24 and I am 19. He says that he wants to date me but not until I am a little bit older. Is that really his reason or is he just using it as an excuse to string me along?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's hard to say, these girls below me think its just an excuse because they have been with guys who are older than them. I am 19 and would love an older woman, But I wouldn't think about dating a girl who is 14, 17 is the lowest I will go. At least for now (meaning 2 years younger than me, not that I will go younger than that when I am older lol). I wish I was 24 to be able to tell you what I would feel about dating a 19 year old. If I was talking to a 19 year old at 24 years of age, and I said I would want to wait till you are older, that means he wants to wait till you are 21 and able to drink legally. Go out on a date and be able to order wine, or any alcoholic beverage. Sure you can have it at home, but its more romantic to be able to go out on a date and not have to worry about is she old enough to drink.

• This is the most logical answer as it would be best of both of you were of legal drinking age. Like he said, you'll be able to hang out together without worrying about the drinking age.

What Guys Said 1

• You don't really have much relationship experience... so he might be worried about that. Or maybe he is stringing you along...

What Girls Said 8

• It's an excuse. As a matter of fact, this guy who I had a guy crush on when I was 16 was 21 at the time. (Same age difference). We hooked up, but he wouldn't pursue it any further until I was "older." That was understandable because I was in high school and he was halfway through college. Pretty much the week I turned 18 and had graduated he started pursuing me again.

19 and 24 just isn't that weird. The older you get, the less weird age gaps become. You're both out of high school, and if he was really into you he wouldn't care about it. Example, when I turned 19, I was asked out by guys ranging from 24-29. Excuses.

• To you 5 years difference doesn't seem like much but you have to see it from his perspective being that you are 5 years younger than him. Imagine if a 14 year old liked you, it would be kind of different wouldn't it? I think you'd be saying the same thing as this guy. I'm 19 also, I've been seeing a guy who is 9 years older than me and I know that we are on different levels that's why it's not going to work out for us. However, the fact that he is prepared to wait for you is really lovely and I know a number of couples who are in really great relationships where the age gap is larger than others.

Although, I have no idea who this guy is or what he is like so I can't tell if he is stringing you along or not but if you are unsure you should talk to him!

Good luck! =)

• he might want her legal just because at 19 you can't experience much. and even though 19 and 24 isn't a big gap in age, it is in experience and how mature a person is. a 24 year old experiences more of the world. it's not always the case with a nineteen year old. and their interests are different. for 19 year olds its about starting college and figuring out what they want to do with their lives. But also partying and all that in college. 24 year olds are focusing usually on finishing school and starting their career. you decide how you feel

• i don't see how it would make a difference to wait till your older when no matter what he's gonna get older too and the age difference is never gonna change?

• Yes and yes. Why wait? Its legal. I think that ridiculous. Move on before you get stepped on.

• That's not that big of an age difference in terms of number, but it's a big difference in terms of experience

• Lol I agree with the first girl.

I was 15 dating a 20 year old

I think it's an excuse and you shouldn't wait for him to be ready.

Find someone that wants you NOW

• I'm 18 and dating a 29 year old.

EXCUSES.