Should I announce that I don't want to date right now on my Facebook?

I just got out of a really bad relationship recently and since then I have been asked out by 3 guys and hit on by more than I can count and I am just feeling really frustrated because I just got a restraining order on my ex today and now I have all these guys over me and I just feel overwhelmed. I am thinking I should announce on Facebook that I am just not ready for a relationship and that no one asks me out for another month or two because it's just too much for me right now. I hate posting personal stuff but I just really want everyone to back off for awhile.

Also, I want guys to back off because I really like one of my friends and I would like to see if I can start something with him and I need time to figure out if we have something. I am not going to jump into things with him either it's just that through this whole thing he has been the voice of reason and he has been protecting me from my abusive ex and has really taken care of me and I just want him to be around because he's the only guy I have an emotional attachment to and I just feel safe and secure around him and I need that right now.

Thanks for any advice.

• Post it up, you need space.
  • Don't post/just don't go online.You need to be nice and reject them in person.
Recently, I've been asked out a lot in person but I told them that I won't start dating until summer is over/college starts. Rejection was not as hard as I perceived it to be.

As for the friend I like, I don't know what's going on with him because I called him recently and he didn't call back and this was Wednesday. I think he may be avoiding the drama attached to me and not me personally but I'm not sure and I'm kind of worried.
Thanks for the answers! Just so everyone knows, I have a new boyfriend and things are going great.

Most Helpful Guy

• I was just talking about this kind of thing not long ago regarding Facebook. I even posted a question about it yesterday. I was thinking about how Facebook has just too much information about each of us, and its there for all the world to see. I personally wouldn't post sensitive or intimate information on Facebook unless you have your friends organized into lists with their own privacy settings. But anyways to your question, I would post on Facebook if it was a more generalized statement about how you're done with guys for now (prepare for lesbian jokes lol). Or perhaps you can hide your relationship status so it doesn't say single. But I would talk in person or over phone to the guys that are interested to let them know you are not interested in dating right now. Hope this helps :)

• Thanks. Haha I'm just trying to avoid letting people down harshly and I'm being lazy about it lol.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 10

• there are some things that belong on the internet for everyone's eyes to see, and some things that do not. personal life issues do not. you sound very stressed right now (and rightly so), you shouldn't make the decision to post something online while emotionally driven. you are upset about your ex, and frustrated about these other guys hitting on you. when emotional, you don't consider the possible backlash of what you do, but there very well could be. whenever I get in a fight with my boyfriend I just want to write on my wall something nasty about him, but instead I just avoid my computer... it works a lot better. and that way, when my emotional fit is over, I'm not embarrassed or regretful of anything I've said or done.

• Facebook is only as powerful and personal as you let it be - try just not logging on for a while. I have never understood why people feel the need to post such personal stuff in their status box. If you don't want to date then reduce your socialising until you are ready to be more socially active- remember your friend will also read your status and may take it as a tactful way of you telling him to back off too.,

If these other guys are cyber pestering you ,they can't do that if you are not online - use the time to spend with the friend you do want to be with. If they are bugging you in person you will still have to deal with that face to face regardless of your Facebook status.

The other problem with posting publicly when you are emotional is its like drunk texting or calling - once you've done it its too late to taek it back - and the consequences can come back to haunt you.

• Good point. I really liked your answer.

• Just post it up, let people know that you don't want to date for a few months. Be warm and friendly with the guy you do like. Tell him how much you appreciate him and do your best to never be cold with him. Just say on Facebook that you are dealing with a lot and don't want a boyfriend. And even take it slow with this guy as well. Though that probably was pointless to say since you said you aren't jumping into anything. I hope you can get everything figured out. My best of wishes! Good luck!

• No,you're thinking with emotions at this point and you should never make rash decisions.You clearly need your space and time to breath.BUT,posting that will only make you look bad.It'll make you seem full of yourself.

As for your other potential relationship,give that a breather,you are thinking with emotions.He protected you from your abusive ex,you need time to sort your own emotions out before putting someone on an emotional rollercoaster.

PS:I hope your ex boyfriend gets butt raped & becomes Bubbas little b*tch:D

• LOL I love the last comment. true, I don't want to seem full of myself.

• im not one for posting things on face book if someone ask id tell them

• do it in person. posting things online is just childish.

• No, I don't think so. it gets the message across effectively and it saves me tons of rejection-in-person time.

• nah...maybe just stay off fb for a while...or cancel your account

• Well, I don't want to cancel account because my good friends are on there and that's the only contact I have with them since I don't have a phone...I could stay off Facebook forawhile until I get my head straight though.

• Is it the one guy friend?

• Um, no, I just think he was protecting me because I was a good friend but not because he liked me. I ended up dating another guy who I met while I was with my ex and who had been pursuing me for awhile. I hung out with him and after we hit it off really well I decided that he's a good guy and he's been a really good boyfriend so far.

• Some people would think as if you're very egoistic for putting it up and they'll feel as if you think they'll care for some people who aren't interested in you.

• If you post that it seems like you are full of yourself and you think everyone wants to date you.

• True, I don't want to seem like I am full of myself but I did get asked out three times this week and it seems a little excessive for me because I'm not used to it...