Would you date someone who was of a different religion?

I was wondering how big of a role religion plays in a relationship.

I'm not religious so I was just wondering.

• No, my religion is very important to me, I need to share it with my loved one.
  • Yes, religion doesn't matter as long as we love each other
  • Maybe, it depends on how close our religions are

Most Helpful Girl

• i have a very strong Christian faith and I would date outside my religion but only if they respected my beliefs and didn't try to change me or force their beliefs onto me.

What Guys Said 12

• I am a christian, but not a hardcore chrisitan, though the messages and views are stuck in my head. I fell in love with a wiccan, and me and her were so happy until our religion and ethics got mixed up. It was so hard to move past this and we eventually broke up and now we don't even talk anymore. In my opinion, only date close to or similar to your religion or your morals may be the defining point of whether or not you two will work out.

• People place too much importance in religion, ethnicity, background, financial stability, etc. when dating. Out of them probably the worst one is religion. Why? Because when it comes to the others two people often have more than just that in common, while a religion produces and contains people of many different types and levels of faith. People end up in unhappy relationships because of religion because they find that outside of their faith they have absolutely nothing in common. It should be compatibility first and all the other crap second.

• I ticked A (No), but I'd like to clarify. I'm an atheist and what I mean is I wouldn't date someone that wasn't an atheist (as in, they were religious). Luckily for me, my Girlfriend is an atheist aswell, so it's not really an issue.

• PS. For what it's worth I'm a product of 'mixed religion'. My mother is an atheist, my father was a christian. That resulted in me being raised with a choice. I went to sunday school, church etc. Point is, it can work. Just in my case I couldn't do it.

• Depends how extreme her views are. I would have to let her know my views on it (religion as a whole in our society).. and then see how much it conflicts with hers. And if she could tolerate it, and vice versa.

Not to sound arrogant, but in order to be with someone you have to respect them, and it's hard to respect certain religious views. I would like to think that we would be living in the same "reality". It's just not just religion, there is a lot of things like this (race issues, politics) but religion is one of the main ones.

• as long as she believed in god, even if she didn't it wouldn't keep me away from her, I would try to point her to the right direction. and if she didn't it her choice

• I'm an ex-evangelist turned atheist.

I also have a habit of making taken Christian girls sin...

Hmm...

But seriously, a really religious girl is not going to work out with me, unless she loves me more than her God(s)

• Agreed

If the girl is too crazy for God, I don't see how it would work out.

• It's fine if both of you are.

Then again, my Mormon friends tells me about the 'Dear John' letter phenomenon within her Church: guys go on their mission to some backwater hell hole, within 2 weeks they get dumped by letter due to 'God's Will'.

Religion means nothing if you know how to bypass it.

• It would be very hard to move past that block, but I'd be willing to try.

• Since I'm atheist I don't care about it at all.

• maybe I'm pretty open but there are somethings that can really get in the way.

• Nope, unless she would convert.

• I will date different religion but when it comes to marriage lots of religions can't marry each other so some one must change his/her religion

• What if you were marrying someone who is not religious ans she converted for you....but doesn't really believe it. Would that matter since she did that so she could marry you, does she have to believe it?

• Just beliving in god is enough for me , the religion isn't important so yes we can marry

• nope

even if they convert it wouldn't be the same because they have been following that religion for X amount of years and one day can't change it and the transition would be rough and plus my family wouldn't look at me the same way again.

My cousin married a italian girl now most of my family talks sh*t about him

• Why do they have to change anyway ? and what's wrong with italians girls??

• Im italian. that should have NOTHING to do with it?

• Being Italian has nothing to do with it.

I should've clarified and said she was christian. Not his religion

What Girls Said 19

• Religion is one of the reasons why all this sh*t has been happening in this world and people are taking religion too seriously and not even practicing it right.

I don't believe in the same God they all believe in, but am not an atheist either, I have my own religion, my own beliefs and my own values. If he has a problem with that then I would honestly think twice before dating a religious guy. He doesn't have to agree with me and he doesn't even have to talk about religion at all.

As a matter of a fact id rather date/marry someone outside my 'original' religion and perhaps race and culture.

• I don't have a religion, so I need someone who pretty much understands that view. I chose C because I do think it matters to have similar beliefs.. your religion really affects your outlook on life, and it's hard for two people to last if they have completely different perspectives. Generally I don't see eye-to-eye with people who are very religious, and while I don't mind that at all, it would be hard to deal with in a relationship.

• I'm somewhere between agnostic and atheist. I mostly just don't believe in anything, but everyone else can do as they please. but there are some religions/religious people that I am very against.

my boyfriend has similar views as me, except he's been baptized, and had to go to church as a child, so religion is a small part of him, due to his mother, and how he was raised. so I voted C, if our views are similar enough without being identical, it can work.

• I've been turned down because of my views on religion and because I'm not religious. I have friends who are catholic and won't date christian girls. Some people are extremely dogmatic about it, but for the most part a lot of people I know don't really care much (with few exceptions).

• I don't believe in existence of any kind of God. If my boyfriend did, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. I would explain why do I think it's all made up, but if it makes him happy he can believe in fairies for all I care. Because I simply want people I care about to be happy. =)

But.. If he tried to convert me or if he insisted that I'm going to hell because I think it's all rubbish, I think I would be forced to break up because I will not take mental torture from anyone.

Having my opinions is my right, if you think that just because of that I would be an unfit girlfriend or it makes me a bad person, then you don't deserve me. But if you are only worried about what will others say, I probably wouldn't even be attracted to you in the first place.

• I don't think I could be with someone who scoffed at me and told me that my religion was ridiculous. but then I wouldn't be in love with him in the first place because that would mean he was a jerk.

• I could date almost any guy no matter what the religion if I liked him, unless he's like a devil worshiper or something else that crazy. XD

But I could never be in a real relationship with an atheist or someone into scientology (sorry, but that's just retarded).

• As long as he doesn't say I'm going to hell or tries to convert me, it doesn't matter to me

• Well I'm not into religion at all, I'm atheist, but I enjoy learning about religions because its interesting. I don't care if the person I'm dating is religious so long as he/she doesn't preach it to me because if they start to do that its over.

• I'm not a religious person at all, but I don't understand, if you really loved a person there are going to be differences, no matter what, I feel it is a little strange, almost like you wouldn't date someone because they are a different ethnicity...but I would love to know a different take on this

p.s. Not judging anyone at all

• A long as both your religions don't clash.

Maybe like a catholic with a Muslim just as an example.

Religion and values are very important in a relationship.

• I wouldn't date a non-christian or probably a catholic because I wouldn't convert. If you were a different section of a religion like Lutheran or Methodist something like that then I would.

• Well I want my guy to have the same values, and be able to marry me in my church so... I'd need him to be my religion.

• I'm Lutheran and my boyfriend doesn't have an official region but he does believe in the Trinity and that's good enough for me. I'm not going to let that get in the way of 2 and 1/2 years

• As long as you respect each other's beliefs, then a relationship is very possible :) The key is mutual respect. Remember- the only way to prove one way or the other is to die... and it's a little late to fix the relationship at that point!

• Though it would be nice to date someone that has the same religion as I do, I don't want to close the doors on many potentially good guys just because we lack that thing in common.

• yes

• i would date a catholic, I am orthodox christian, however its just me but I wouldn't date a muslim

• I wouldn't mind dating someone of a different religion than me-i'm catholic-but if it created problems between us then I might reconsider if I couldn't find a way to settle the problems. It isn't a big deal starting out, but if it causes conflicts between us later on I might change me mind.

However, if I find out that someone I'm interested in shares the same religious views as me, I'll definitely see them in a new light. I get a good feeling when I learn that me and my partner have more in common.