Why do people want daughters more than sons?

I saw some study that said that the process were you can choose the sex of your child is used about 90% of the time to get a girl...I mean its fine people choose...but why don't people want boys? It kinda saddens me...I'd prefer the natural way myself...but honestly I'd love and cherish whatever God gave me...even if I had the choice...I couldn't choose...Id have to flip a coin or something...I love boys and girls. they're both a precious gift to the world...why are more people choosing girls..I mean this means that if everyone chose the gender of their kids...we'd have 90% of the population come out female..that could cause some issues. Why are girls more important than boys?

OK sorry its not 90% but its still imbalanced...

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, that's kind of interesting to me since most of the men I've talked to about kids all say they want a boy simply because they think boys are easier to raise and less worry. Now, I don't know if I agree- I think teenage guys get into trouble, can be moody like girls and as a mother I think I would worry no matter who my child was. So, I'm not sure it's actually TRUE boys are easier, but expectant fathers I've talked to seem to think they are, which means if they had a choice it wouldn't be a girl. As for expectant mothers/women in general, I don't think there are a majority who would choose a girl first, I think it's fairly evenly split between wanting a boy/girl and not caring. Personally, I wouldn't choose, just let things happen the way nature intended and the surprise when it comes out will be welcome either way. I go back and forth between wanting my first to be a girl or a boy, but I would be glad of either and eventally would like to have both. So, I'm not sure where the information the study used came from, but it seems incongruent with my own knowledge/experiences.

What Girls Said 21

• All parents want a healthy child - regardless of sex.

Boys and girls are both pain in the asses and beautiful blessings. In raising kids you lose track of what is easy or hard - you're just trying to keep them alive and sane until they leave.

• I can't speak for anyone else. If I decide to have children, I won't care what sex they are, I just want them to be healthy and I hope that I'll be a good enough parent to raise them well.

• depends on where you live. in plenty of countries its the exact opposite.

i personally don't want any boys if I ever decide to have my own kids. I think I'm going to adopt whether I have my own or not and she will be a girl. I think ill feel closer to my female children and understand them more because well I'm a girl myself. I've never really wanted boys. eh.

• Yea in china its lopsided..but I meant more like the western world......by the way that's kinda sexist of u....of course the same sex parent might relate better...but I'm not gonna say I don't want a daughter

• I think you really need a boy. Too many women in your life. You need balance.

• Oh I've had lots of boys in my life...trust me. lol but nope I probably wouldn't adopt a boy and I just would prefer to have girls. of course if I have a boy there's nothing I can do and I would love the kid just the same.

• Well, girls are a lot easier to control. If you think about it, its easier to raise a girl than a guy. Guys are known to be more rebellious and have a brattier behaviors. I'm not sure why most would like a a girl. between me and my friends, most of them want boys and I'm the only one who wants a girl. Natural way is always the way to go, props to you and everyone who goes the natural way. They don't only have a program to choose the sex of you baby there is also a place where you can choose which traits you want your child to have.

• I disagree, you can't say one is harder than the other. Boys at a young age, before teenage years, are more wild up than girls are, but once they hit the teenage years, the role reverses and now the girls are harder. So both are hard, just at different times. Which one is harder to raise depends on the individual child

• whhhaat? I heard a census that concluded parents would rather have boys than girls...I'm confused now -_-

if I had kids though, I would want at least 1 boy and 1 girl.

• FALSE FALSE FALSE! Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I want a massive brood of boys! The max being five the minimum being 3. Girls are not more important than boys! When you look at numbers like that you have to be reasonable and think of all the cases, some may have boys and want a girl or some may want a girl because they don't want to take the chance of the baby coming out with Huntington's disease which a disease that only affects men. Also the total people doing this may not be as big as you think. I mean sure 90% sounds like a lot but 90% out of 50 people doesn't pack the same punch.

• I think it's weird because it's definitely harder to raise a girl, because once they hit their teenage years they go t*ts up in the head. I think teenage boys are a lot more mellow than girls. Also, girls are more controlled by their parents, they can't go out for as long, they can't do this, they can't do the other...I think this is what got to my head, this is why girls go kind of crazy between the age of 13-17. Boys are kind of free to do whatever they want. It's still socially more acceptable for a young boy to bring a girl back to his house, then a young girl bringing a boy back.

• This is gonna be no help at all, but I'm gonna say it anyway. I've always said when I have kids, I want a girl. Thinking about it now, I actually have no idea why.

My boyfriend wants a boy, though. His reason - "If you have a boy, you only have to worry about one d*** in town. If you have a girl, you've gotta worry about all the d***s in town." Lol xP

• I love my boys...and my princess. I can't imagine choosing a gender. I couldn't decide because each is wonderful, plus individuality plays a role. My impression is that women who want a girl and men who want a boy are looking for a mini-me. I think some people have no experience with that gender, like because they grew up with all girls or all boys. I admit I wanted my first to be a boy because I grew up with them and was used to them. I wanted my second to be a boy because little boys are just so much fun, but when she was born and the nurse announced "it's a girl!" I melted and was just so enchanted. I agree with you, dude, children are becoming more of a commodity to too many people.

• It's not that girls are more important (in fact most families hope for a boy, though most who will PAY to change it probably happen to be girl people).

likely it's because women are the ones making the choice because it's their body and women are girls, and people like people who are like themselves.

• It's natural to want a female child... the female population is always higher than the male, simply because of reproductive abilities. A man can impregnate many women in a short period of time, but a woman can only get pregnant once every 9 months. Plus, girls are cute.

• Girls are notoriously easier to raise, I would think. I always thought I'd prefer a son if I ever had a kid, though.

Also, could you show me this study? I'm willing to bet it wasn't done in China or the middle east.

• Id have to look it up...but ur right...in china sons are def favotred..ive heard that the female pop is 2/3 of the male...yikes.

• Http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-end-of-men/8135/ its like towrd teh beginnign of ther article

• Boys tend to be rowdier as children, and then girls raise hell in their teenage years. As you said, all opinion. Those statistics don't sound too conclusive to me.

• I'd have to disagree.. think about the system in China where you can only have one child. Those parents hope for a boy to be the male heir in the family and the girls are abandoned. I'd say that the 90% thing sounds hard to believe

• Yes china is the opposite..but I was talking about in the west

• Http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-end-of-men/8135/....not 90 but still lopsisded..sorry I exaggerated

• Well I'd never do anything to make my child the gender I want, whatever I have is whatever I will have. But I always have wanted boys not girls, yet I will be happy and greatful for which ever it is.

• Just curious...why would want boys?

• Because girls are cute and precious and all, but I'd rather avoid the first bra shopping, talk/worry about pregnancy, the period talk, the teenage years where they are picky and can't leave the house without getting their makeup on and hair done even if we're just going to the grocery store lol so many more reasons.

With boys you do what? A sex talk and a masterbation talk... or anything else that would be talked about with their father. But I do think any child is a lot of work and I'd be

• Greatful for which ever I have.

• because girls are less likely to cause trouble in their younger years x

• Define trouble?

• I took thai boxing classes since I was 11 and can defend myself better than a lot of boys - I'm just saying that girls are naturally cleaner and less loud and a lot cuter as children x you asked x

• My boys are no trouble at all and have never been. They are also full of sweetness, the way girls can be, but their sweetness never turns off and they worship their mama. I think it depends on how you parent them. If you leave the boys to their father and expect them to be trouble, they will be trouble. If you expect girls to always be sweet and good, they will deal you unpleasant surprises.

• id want a boy because I think boys would be easer and you don't have to help them do there hair itn the morning

• Haha true...my sister says her life would be super easy if she had short hair lol

• Haha ya

• My daughter didn't have hair until she was 2 then she had peach fuzz until 5. Then she started doing her own hair.

• its because girls are adorable.. and fathers love having daughters because they imagine that girl growing up and he wants to alwys be there to protect her..u imagine being a dad to a baby girl... when she's sad she runs to you ..

when she cries you hug her tightand make it ok..

if she gets bullied, you make things straight..

when she's a teenager, you wait at the door for her date to come pick her up and see her off.. although thiscould be one of the hardest things to deal with .. haha..

and imagining walking her down the isle some day..

u also have more control over a girl ... hence parents prefer having girls.. but different cultures have different beliefs..

• I don't know daughters can be manipualtive and snotty, and if they wana get back at you they can make up some story that "daddy touched them" and everyone will buy it. its alos harder to discipline a girl or kick them out etc...i know plenty of people that would kick their son outta the house but never their daughter

• It happens...I know of some people, just liek Girlfriend who file false rape reports when they have a falling out with their bf...girls are way more manipulative...if a guy has an issue with u..hes open about it and confrontational..girls are sneaky

• So you coddle and limit your girl because she's so fragile? Yes, it's important to protect and defend your kids, but you should do this for your boys as well. I can't believe such blatant sexism in this day and age! My boys run to me when they really need me, as does my daughter, but I don't encourage them to let me solve all their problems, male or female!

• There are more males than females as is, so who cares if we even out the numbers and increase the chances of the guys getting a GF?

• Idk think that's true...theres more women I think..esp in the us....in nyc the ratio is 80:100 I hear

• idk but I prefer boys

• hahah. idk, but for me, I want boys. if I have girls, they are more than likely gonna be really tall.lol. but idk, I would just prefer boys. (easier to raise too )

• I think it really depends on the country. Some women in countries will get an abortion if they find out the baby is a girl. Which is why the doctors aren't allowed to tell them the sex of the baby. It's so stupid to me because a baby is a baby regardless of what the gender is. It's a healthy, happy child. What more can you ask for?

I can understand if a couple has 4 boys and want a girl or 4 girls and want a boy. If you only have 1 or 2 kids, does it really make a difference what the gender is?

What Guys Said 18

• Also 9/10 people enjoy gang rape.

Easy to make up stats.

Anyways back to the question, living with 2 sisters and 2 brothers I'd say it's easier to raise boys because well, girls go thru all this emotional stuff and guys don't get affected by it that much. For example girls being mean to other ones in the play ground. Guys would probably just not talk or beat each other up and be done with it. Personally, guys seem easier to raise in general. ( If raised properly in a wonderful home which I am fortunate to live in)

• I don't know where you come from or, more relevantly, where your figures relate to, but in the UK it is illegal. Any figures you have may be skewed by the fact that some people may be choosing the gender of their baby to avoid inherited conditions that affect mainly boys, such as Muscular Dystrophy. Without the data I wouldn't draw any conclusions.

On a personal level I don't think people do want daughters more than sons, they each have their own challenges and anyone with an ounce of sense knows that. You do occasionally here people say 'oh, I wouldn't want a boy/girl, too much trouble' or something similar, but I think this is just a way to confirm to themselves that they are happy with what they have or to try and convince themselves of that (I have a sister who would love a boy but forever says she only wantsgirls because her husband won't have any more children) Thankfully, where no medical imperative exists, in western culture the vast bulk of people believe in letting nature take its course. I hope it remains that way.

• I wouldn't care either way, but I think that raising a boy would be easier. I have seen how young girls can act, how mean they can be and deceptive and while I know that boys can be too, I think that girls can be a lot harder to deal with in that regard.

When we have kids, we've decided not to find out the sex until the child is born. I like the idea that it is a surprise and we don't need to know until it arrives.

• On that note, 120% of all statistics are exaggerated.

By the by, it's actually been shown in the the past 63 years in the US, there has been a greater number of baby boys being born as opposed to girls.

Here's some sources:

link

But, in the tropic areas, more girls have been born than boys:

link

• Http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-end-of-men/8135/

• I think that it's only natural for women to want a daughter and for men to want a son. Women want to do all the "girly" things with their daughter like shopping, doing each others makeup, etc. whereas men want to play sports, go fishing, etc etc.

Even though this statistic doesn't seem valid, I think that if it is true it might be because the woman is the one having the baby and she would want to have a daughter over a son. Still don't believe it though

• I'm still convinced you're talking out of your ass. How are we to talk about the motivations behind something that doesn't exist?

• I actually prefer to have son's to help me with some hard labor around the house, also another big reason I'd want a boy is to carry on the family name. Another thing I'd imagine myself being protective if I had a daughter, watching she doesn't go out with the wrong people and stuff like that but with a man I believe I'd still have to help him make the right choices but I believe he would be able to tak care of himself.

• Well, from what I understand...my father always told me it was much easier to raise 3 boys than 3 girls. Good reasons as to why: Boys don't get pregnant, it's easier for my father to relate to boys and girls tend to get a little "moody" when they hit their teens (boys do too, but on a lower level).

• That was sort of a contradicting statement, because from what I've heard and experienced. People especially in Asian countries and some middle eastern countries prefer sons than daughters, they even go extreme lengths such as killing their infants when they learn it's a girl or even change their genders to male. Some also see daughters as "bad omen" especially in monarch families, even "line of accessions" leans mostly to only sons. I also found out female population outnumbers males by 6:1 ratio... I'm not a male supremacist or something, just stating out the facts.

• 83% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Can you point to some sources please? Sounds like nonsense.

• WTF. I don't want any girls... Hormonal, have to worry about guys, buying them wayy too many clothes... Over it...

• They do? I don't know, I usually see it the other way around. I'd be happy with either gender btw.

• cuz they are adorable

• Idk. I'd prefer a son, and most people I know would. I think your survey is a load of crap. Boys are easier to raise.

• I want a son..

• i never heard this. what country you from again? I'll say some traditonal reason why people want sons over daughter. sons have more strength , he can help with farm work, can fight, can become soldiers, more emotional stable than girls. girls tend to traditonal need protecting. but then again girls can make babies, so you obviously need them to procreate.

i don't know why people would say girls are more important. are you sure you weren't raised in a matrichial society? or perhaps misandry at work here?

• I'd want a son over a daughter. But I am a guy. I want to throw the ball around, talk about girls all that fatherly stuff.

• I see a lot of girls out there tossing balls around. I toss balls around with my sons and my daughter.

• woman is the new man... hopefully we can find a technology so that we can clone women and we won't need men anymore...