What are peoples problems with dating older people?

why is everyone so negative about young girls/boys dating older people. be it a 5 year gap or 25 years they always seem to have a problem with it, why? I mean if the two involved are of legal age, and are happy, then who is to say what is right and what is wrong?

Most Helpful Guy

• More than almost anything else, people enjoy judging other people, and something as visible a an age gap in a couple makes for an easy target. It's true that there are real differences in life perspective at different stages of life, and those can affect a relationship, but they're not unresolvable and it's not difficult for emotionally intelligent people to acknowledge them, discuss them, and cope with them. It is also feasible for an older person to take advantage of the innocence of a younger person, but I don't think it's nearly as common as the Gladys Kravats' of the world would have us believe. You'll make some mistakes in life, and you need to accept responsibility for the consequences, but you need to be free to make them. Listen to others, but live your life for yourself and let the judgers worry about themselves.

What Guys Said 3

• aight say the person your dating is 25 years older than you and your mom had you when she was 20...well...weird to say the least

• The problem is that some older men/women prey on the young and inexperienced. It's much easier to for them to date someone who is more likely to be docile than rigid and experienced. That's why older men date younger girls. They are more willing in bed, more likely to believe whatever he says, and easier to impress.

That's the problem. Not all men are like this, mind you. But you'll meet your fair share.

• 5 years isn't bad if your passed the age of 18, its normail, its when your younger than that, as for 25 years older that negitive because what kind of future could you have if the person has already done half the stuff you want to do.

what if you want kids and he doesn't because he prob already got some, what if he's already been married and doesn't want to again or want a family becuase he's already been there.

half the girls who go out with older guys only do it because they think its cooler and feel their are more experienced and the men who go out with 25 years younger than them only do it for the sex because its fresh new flesh. its the truth and you know it.

What Girls Said 2

• I've dated a couple guys my age, in fact, most of my dating life, the guys I've dated have between anywhere between 10 to 1 year(s) older than myself.

My parents have always bitched about how I "don't date men my own age". Truth is, my parents were 12 years apart, my mom always dated men who were older than she was, and I don't find it fair at all to be told I should find someone my own age.

I think the reason is probably because older men may have already been married, had kids, and are done with their partying days--not all but some. We have this preconceived notion that older is gross, or that older means a young lady or young man has--issues...psychologically. Example: A girl dates an older man to replace her absent father. And vice versa.

Honestly, I think people are just retarded. 10 years didn't seem like a big difference to me, but in some cases it is. 12 years is also a big difference, though my parents seemed to make it work until my mom longed for her partying days (she got married at 22).

My dad seems to think that older men want to "prey" on younger girls who "don't know any better".

^ That is probably why people have a problem with it.

• That's exactly why I have a problem with it. I've seen too much of it, and most always end up in divorce. Especially when the girl has, "grown up".

• i agree with the anonymous guy first answer...

its such a generation difference, and there's not that many success stories, eventually the attraction is overcome and reality hits you that you're missing out on a lot by engaging on someone else whos already been through what you should be going through now...

• Engaging on someone* typo