What is the difference between dating vs. relationship?

so I started dating a guy I met 2 weeks ago. Earlier this week, he basically asked me where is this going. I said what do you mean? What are you looking for? Dating? Relationship? And he said isn't dating and relationship the same thing? I didn't know what to respond back. I am new to dating myself. I told him I feel like he's rushing me into one and how I only met him 2 weeks ago. I sort of got frustrated and told him lets just be friends. He wasn't too happy and we left the restaurant. The next day, he contacted me like nothing happened.

To me:

Dating: You can be dating others at the same time. Meetings are usually more casual and short.

relationship: Exclusive with one person and you are intimate with each other.

Most Helpful Guy

• Dating could involve initmacy ...but if that is what your definition of dating and relationship is you might want to ask him what his definition is ...he might have a different or unrealistic view...

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 5

• I agree with your definition as well, to me, dating is the step where you're kind of looking for some fun maybe or you're just dating different people and try to find the guy who can potentially lead you into a relationship.

• He is rushing into things. Dating is the process by which two people go out on a date. People can have casual dates without commitment to a single person, go out to dinner with Jimmy on Friday, catch a movie with Luke on Saturday. Relationship means commitment, monogamy.

• techniclly you can agree to date one person and still not be in a relationship but overall yeah what you said is correct.

• To you dating and relationships are correct.

It seems like he really might want to be in a relationship with you and doesn't want to be played or whatever. Or maybe he doesn't want to play you when you may feel that you guys are exclusive.

2 weeks is really fast to ask, but tell him how you feel. He will probably understand. He seems to actually like you a lot.

• I agree with your definition completely