Flowers on a first date?

My now ex girlfriend brought up an interesting point weeks after the first date. She asked me, 'Why didn't you get me flowers on the first date?' I was quite shocked by that. Not by the fact that she brought it up, but more of the fact that I didn't think it was appropriate to give flowers on the first date.

Do girls really want flowers on the first date? I can understand getting a girl flowers on a special day, or even every now and again, because who doesn't like flowers? But on the first date? Is that being to forward / old school / dorky / weird?

Not only that, but what do you do with them on the night? Would you seriously drag them around with you all night, assuming that you met at a communal place, rather than at her door? Though in retrospect, I did pick her up, so she could have popped them into a vase.

But the next time I go on a date, hoping sooner rather than later, should I bring flowers? Plus what's the best flower to give; no roses please.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would have just told her she's been watching too many re-runs of "blind date". Very rarely would I even consider bringing flowers on a first date... there would have to be exceptional circumstances. Maybe if I already knew a girl for a long time and started dating her I would, but some random girl I just met... I'd assume it would freak her out more than charm her, thinking you're coming on a little strong... trying a bit too hard?

What Girls Said 3

• i wouldn't want flowers on the first date. I don't want anything but manners and good conversation. I'm cool with paying my bill and meeting you at the restaurant. flowers are for later stages of the dating process. I honestly wouldn't expect flowers until we're exclusive or something. maybe I'm crazy lol

• I would freak out if a guy bought me flowers...but a friend of mine who was really anti-bf and anti-dating and everything - on her first date (ever so to speak) the guy bought her lilies...and now they have a child...(I know I was like 'wtf' too).

So there is no definite answer to that.

I would like to get some on my birthday or any big day though...but if not, I don't really care because I acutally don't like to have flowers indoors.

• flowers are great but for later on, not on the first date.

What Guys Said 3

• Flowers on a first date is not a good idea. A girl doesn't need any more than your company. I've only done flowers on a first date once and we had been very very close before that. Flowers on a first tells her that you need to make up for something that you are lacking.

• I bring flowers on the SECOND date! ;D

Because...

Well I mean, they're always expecting it and sh*t on the first date...

...but no one ever sees it coming on the SECOND! ;D So yeeeah! But well, I've never been on a date before, so... :(

• NOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't do it!

Too try-hard, and it sets you up as the classic chumpish 'Prince Charming' character.

What do I pay for on a first date? Taxi fare for both of us home. That's all. Never gone wrong.