How do you guys feel about dating someone of a different race or religion?

I personally think it's absolutely okay. I'm Bengali (it's a south Asian country for those of you who do not know) and I don't mind dating someone with different beliefs or race, although my parents are absolutely NOT okay with it. I think it's fine as long as there's respect and understanding in the relationship, although I have heard that some people find it hard to adjust.

So how do you guys feel about it?

The reason my parents are so uptight about this is because they're Muslim. They're not like, extremists or anything but they still feel weird about having a "son in law" who they cannot relate too.
My dad's cousin married an Italian man and for the longest time, her family sort of "shunned" her. They got used to it though, so I'm sure if my case was similar (in the future) things would work out as well.

Most Helpful Guy

• Different race - no problem. I'm white and I've dated white, black, Asian, and American Indian women.

Different religion - that's tricky. It's my belief that religion is a crutch for the weak and insecure on an individual level and a tool for social manipulation and power collection at the institutional level. However I also believe there's more to the universe than we observe with our limited set of senses. Therefore it's difficult for me to respect any person who can name their religion, including atheism, enough to consider a relationship with them. I don't consider my agnosticism to be a religion, but I would have a very difficult time dating someone who didn't consider themselves to be agnostic.

• The thing my parents can't accept about me is that I don't embrace Islam at all. I think it was sometime last year that I considered agnosticism because I just don't get religion. I would feel a bit weird dating an overly religious guy as well, I mean I know that I won't always find someone with my beliefs so I'm OK with them having faith in something, but someone who is super religious would be really hard for me to date.

What Guys Said 8

• I'm OK with dating someone with a different background than me, as long as we were compatible and the girl respected and valued the same things as I. I don't think I could date a deeply religious girl, because she might not accept me for who I am. Other than that, I'm pretty open.

• I think it's great. In fact, I'm white and I exclusively date girls from other religions/ethnicities. Preferably Bengali.

• don't matter as long as it doesn't get in the way of our relationship... they could be another race/religion and still be chill people. but lets say they aren't willing to adapt to something I'd expect them to such as exposing your face even though you're a muslim women, then it'd be too much for me.

• I think its wonderful to accept people for who they are. Just because your parents have a certain belief doesn't mean you need to believe it to sugar.

• Race-Whatever

Religion-I'm Athetist so I'd rather them be the same. Otherwise it might be really annoying.

• Who do your parents designate as being "appropriate races" for you to date?

• i think its good if you have a connection with the person

• I'm totally fine with age/race; Dating a Korean girl (I'm Caucasian) who's older than me, but if you love each other, you only APPRECIATE the difference.

What Girls Said 2

• I'm completely all for it. I find attractive men of all races and have dated as such. I've faced ridicule from friends/family/strangers but I realized that they're the ignorant ones, not me. I actually feel sorry for them because they're so closed minded they might miss out on the "one" because he or she is a different color. Sucks for them, I'm happy.

• totally fine with it but I don't think my dad would approve of me bringing a black guy home...hes not racist...he does talk to black women and men but its just something latino fathers don't approve of but I'm pretty sure my parents are okay with whatever I chose...preferably mexican though to keep it pure haha