How do your parents feel about you dating outside your race?

My boyfriend is the most amazing person. But according to my parents he has one major problem, he's white. Are my parents just crazy, or are a lot of people's parents or grandparents expecting them to only date within their race?

Most Helpful Girl

• the answer is both. most parents are old school, well at least our generation thinks so. so of course they're gonna want you to date within your race, unless they have done it themselves. but since ur the one dating him its really only up to u. of course ur gonna want ur parents to like him but you should be happy his skin color is the only reason why they disapprove. good luck & hope I helped.

What Guys Said 1

• My parents don't like mixing colors. and when my first girlfriend turned out to be black, they flipped. They are the products of a different, less tolerant age, and we the younger generation must suffer for it.

What Girls Said 2

• Most of my family is like that. I've always been more interested in white guys than black guys and of course my family thinks I'm crazy for it. They say "you shouldn't date a white guy" "they aren't good for you" "you need a nice young black man". I don't see why race should be such an important factor. It's rather ridiculous to me. But I guess it has a lot to do with the time they grew up in.

• My mom doesn't mind my dating interracially (which I usually do).

Buuut my boyfriend is Asian and his mother is completely against his dating outside their race.

I think she'd even be more okay with it if I were white, instead of black.

My last boyfriend's (white) mother was okay with his but his dad opposed it completely.