Why don't guys like watching chick flicks?

or do they.?

and why?

Most Helpful Guy

• They're p*rn for women... emotional indulgence and nothing more. I don't get my jollies off watching predictable storylines about unrealistically portrayed male characters who magically do everything right (or do everything wrong in the perfect way so that all's good), nor do I enjoy watching female fantasies that follow one of the following two themes:

1) A woman is in a good, but boring relationship. Her "perfect guy" is exciting and amazing, and she gets to choose between the two.

2) A woman isn't all that interested in a guy, but she realizes if she changes him, he'll become the perfect man. Cue 90 minutes of watching a girl change another human being.

What Guys Said 6

• First of all, guys don't get as emotional as girls do, usually. It takes more for a guy to feel emotions, than it does for a girl. That's just in general, but there are always exceptions.

Second of all, chick flicks typically cater to females, since it's about the girl finding a guy and figuring things out for herself. It's an intimate look into what this girl thinks and feels. Guys can't really relate to that.

The only reasons a guy might watch a chick flick is a) there are a lot of hot women in it, b) he does it for his girlfriend, or c) he's either a deeply emotional and sensitive guy or he's gay.

I don't mean to judge anyone, by the way.

• I tend to appreciate them more often a few beers.

• I might be in the minority on this but I do like chick flicks. They tend to have more actual substance in them than mindless action films or anything like that. There are, however, bad chick flicks like with any genre and those are probably worse than the bad films of other genres, if that makes any sense. It's very hit and miss.

• Because they suck.

They are predictable and most follow the exact same patterns.

• Because I have yet to see a chick flick that contains Optimus Prime, Batman, or lots of things blowing up. Where's the fun in that?

• I like them. Not all but most of them I think are decent.

What Girls Said 1

• I personally can't stand them myself.

For example, I recently had the displeasure of watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", the plot of which is that a woman from a very traditional Greek family eventually marries someone who is not Greek (oh NO how could you?), in case you weren't familiar. A few problems:

1) The entire Greek population is a walking stereotype, with the exception, of course, of our lovely protagonist. Is this where the "comedy" part of "romantic comedy" is supposed to come in? Maybe, but I can't tell whether it's funny, annoying, or marginally offensive.

2) The protagonist's father absolutely opposes her going to college and getting a real job and any kind of personal fulfillment out of life (instead of working in the family restaurant), because oh no don't leave your poor father. Regardless, she finally does take some classes... and works for her aunt's travel agency down the street instead. Moving on up?

3) Everyone in the family puts super heavy emphasis on the notion that a woman's only real purpose is to get married and have children. The protagonist starts out as an unhappy, frumpy woman, until she sees that SPECIAL GUY who she eventually... wait for it... marries and has kids with, never to be seen working or going to school again. You, too can be happy and beautiful, as long as you find a husband! Just... you've got to be kidding me.

I'm done ranting. That's just one chick flick, but believe me, I have beef with the rest of them too.