Is texting/calling during a date rude?

Most of my dates have turned out with busy, self centered guys who whip out their phones to text/or pick up the phone during restaurant dinner dates and the like. They say, "hang on a sec" in the middle of our conversation and talk to someone on the phone like their buddy, leaving me feeling hurt and unimportant. Sometimes they also text when I talk.

My friends say I am being selfish and that everyone nowadays does it. However, I believe it is rude and I would never do that to someone unless an emergency.

Do you believe texting/calling during a date is rude? How would you react?

Would this be a deal breaker for you if it continued?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's rude! if he really had to call/text he should excuse himself and come back when he's done

In 1 date:

1st time I would let it slide

2nd time I'd ask "is everything okay?" or "is something wrong?"

3rd time (if its not a worthy reason) I'd say "e-mail me when your phone breaks" and leave

• Thanks! That was concrete helpful advice! And thanks to everyone else for providing insight.

• No problem ;)

What Guys Said 3

• ok, here's the thing. let's say you had 2 hrs date and he spent the whole time texting and calling, well for me that's an issue, but if he did that for 5 or 10 minutes I think that's still OK. even a husband and wife they need sometime to hang out with their own friends

• Yeah that's a d*** move.

• Yes its rude, but it is also used as a form of plumage or attraction, ie makes them more desireable even if it is anoying, better to turn it off for the date if they don't means they don't really value the time they spend with you because they have other people in their life... so its like you are competing for attention and time.

What Girls Said 2

• I Agree, on a date it should be all about the other person... phones out of the picture!

• I say its is bad. After awhile its okay if you only stay on the phone for about 5-10 minutes.